Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

106 pounds lost in a year!

I promised myself, that when I hit a year, I'd post a "success" story.

A year ago today, I lay in the "big" hospital bed at 274 pounds and completely miserable. The two days prior to surgery were the worst ever. I called my Dr's nurse the morning of surgery and told her "I think I need to cancel, I can't do this." She told me that she wasn't going to listen to me and that she expected to see me at the hospital in a few hours.

I'm so glad I did. There are very very few things in my life that I'm more happy about than my decision to have Lapband surgery.

I was 32 and miserable. Couldn't stand to look at myself, even more, couldn't stand to have my husband look at me. We got together when we were 17. I was fit then, always the bigger girl, but very active. Softball, cross country, track, etc. Almost immediately after HS, the weight just piled on. When we got married at 20, my wedding dress was a size 16. I hated my wedding photos, they are horrible. To this day, very few people have actually seen them. I still have them in proof form, in a box underneath my desk. I have no pictures of my wedding out on display. For that matter, I have very few pictures of myself in the last 14 years.

We have two kids, two boys, who are very active. It was so hard to want to do anything with them. My husband, thank goodness, is one of those people who could eat the world and couldn't weigh more than 160 if he tried. So, while I always took the pictures or sat on the sidelines, they had the fun.

I spent my 20's with no sexual drive whatsoever. I was disgusted with myself. If I couldn't even look at myself, how could my husband want to. It made him sad, he always said he didn't see me the way I did. I couldn't believe him.

So, after three years of research, I initially tried to get the band in 2007. My insurance changed at year end and no longer covered it. So scratch that. In 2010, I went to my GP and he asked if I'd thought about it. Yeah yeah, I did, but insurance. He encouraged me to call and check again. Unbeknownst to me, they covered it again. I cried and cried and cried. That was in Feb 2010. I quickly researched the two Dr's that I had chosen and decided on one. Went to the seminar, got my 6 month supervised diet in, all the other pre-req's and next thing I knew, I'm laying in the hospital bed seriously thinking I shouldn't be doing this.

Recovery was HARD, not hard hard, but not what I expected. The first week, I was sure that this was the worst decision I had ever made. Only a clinically insane person would put themselves through this, I was sure of it. However, things started getting better. I was losing weight and I was losing it quickly.

When I was around 3 weeks post op, I started walking/running. Eventually, I was running a mile, then two, then three. I was actually able to RUN and ENJOY it!!!

There have been some bumps along the way. Mainly mental. Around September, I was sure I was going insane. I was okay, but, it wasn't until then, that I actually realized my crutch, my addiction, was food. I was going through a "detox", lol. It made me for one very very grouchy and irritable woman.

I believe, I finally hit onederland on December 8th. 75 pounds gone since July 29th, a little over 4 months. By the end of 2010, I was down 80-85 pounds. Now, today, I'm down 106 pounds. I still have 15-20 pounds until I reach goal but I'm happy. I'm so happy! I'm plateaued, but I'm happy. :)

I run 5k's WITH my kids and husband now. I have energy. I'm the person, I think I always knew was inside of me.

Make no bones about it, it is difficult. It is a huge mental mind screw. There are days I look in the mirror and I don't see me now. I see me as I was a year ago. It's hard. But there are days, I look in the mirror, with the biggest smile on my face and I see me as I am now. I've made it and I've done it.

Hugs to everyone who does this journey. It's well worth it.

I was going to post some pics from my gallery, but they were insanely too big.

Here is the link. http://www.lapbandta.../7195-new-pics/

What an absolutely beautiful post, I am actually crying. You are a real inspiration and I hope your family appreciates what a truly amazing person you are.

Awww... Thanks! It was pretty emotional writing it.

And, thankfully, my husband is and has always been very appreciative of me. He's been my rock through all this. My mom too. If I hadn't had them be as supportive as they are, I'm not sure I could have been this successful.

great post!!!! i don't think people fully realize it when writing ones like this but lots and lots of us read it and benefit from your words - even if the majority don't comment. I wish you all the best on those last 15-20 i hear those are the hardest - but you will do it!!!:D

I understand about the pictures. It was not until my Mom passed away that I realized no matter how big I was i needed to allow my picture to be taken, My Mom hated to have her picture taken so there are very few of them. I am wondering ( perhaps little personal here but ) how are things in the bedroom :rolleyes: ? I am hopeful that a better body image will help that for me.

LOL - well, I can't complain and my husband DEFINITELY can't complain about "things" in the bedroom, we have lots of fun. Feeling better about yourself will, or should, help out with that. :)

I am about one and half months till my surgery and am nervous to say the least. Your post was very inspirational and I thank you for it. You confirmed my thoughts, that it will be hard, but it is doable! I hope I can be as successful as you! Thanks.

You look great and what a great success story

I promised myself, that when I hit a year, I'd post a "success" story.

A year ago today, I lay in the "big" hospital bed at 274 pounds and completely miserable. The two days prior to surgery were the worst ever. I called my Dr's nurse the morning of surgery and told her "I think I need to cancel, I can't do this." She told me that she wasn't going to listen to me and that she expected to see me at the hospital in a few hours.

I'm so glad I did. There are very very few things in my life that I'm more happy about than my decision to have Lapband surgery.

I was 32 and miserable. Couldn't stand to look at myself, even more, couldn't stand to have my husband look at me. We got together when we were 17. I was fit then, always the bigger girl, but very active. Softball, cross country, track, etc. Almost immediately after HS, the weight just piled on. When we got married at 20, my wedding dress was a size 16. I hated my wedding photos, they are horrible. To this day, very few people have actually seen them. I still have them in proof form, in a box underneath my desk. I have no pictures of my wedding out on display. For that matter, I have very few pictures of myself in the last 14 years.

We have two kids, two boys, who are very active. It was so hard to want to do anything with them. My husband, thank goodness, is one of those people who could eat the world and couldn't weigh more than 160 if he tried. So, while I always took the pictures or sat on the sidelines, they had the fun.

I spent my 20's with no sexual drive whatsoever. I was disgusted with myself. If I couldn't even look at myself, how could my husband want to. It made him sad, he always said he didn't see me the way I did. I couldn't believe him.

So, after three years of research, I initially tried to get the band in 2007. My insurance changed at year end and no longer covered it. So scratch that. In 2010, I went to my GP and he asked if I'd thought about it. Yeah yeah, I did, but insurance. He encouraged me to call and check again. Unbeknownst to me, they covered it again. I cried and cried and cried. That was in Feb 2010. I quickly researched the two Dr's that I had chosen and decided on one. Went to the seminar, got my 6 month supervised diet in, all the other pre-req's and next thing I knew, I'm laying in the hospital bed seriously thinking I shouldn't be doing this.

Recovery was HARD, not hard hard, but not what I expected. The first week, I was sure that this was the worst decision I had ever made. Only a clinically insane person would put themselves through this, I was sure of it. However, things started getting better. I was losing weight and I was losing it quickly.

When I was around 3 weeks post op, I started walking/running. Eventually, I was running a mile, then two, then three. I was actually able to RUN and ENJOY it!!!

There have been some bumps along the way. Mainly mental. Around September, I was sure I was going insane. I was okay, but, it wasn't until then, that I actually realized my crutch, my addiction, was food. I was going through a "detox", lol. It made me for one very very grouchy and irritable woman.

I believe, I finally hit onederland on December 8th. 75 pounds gone since July 29th, a little over 4 months. By the end of 2010, I was down 80-85 pounds. Now, today, I'm down 106 pounds. I still have 15-20 pounds until I reach goal but I'm happy. I'm so happy! I'm plateaued, but I'm happy. :)

I run 5k's WITH my kids and husband now. I have energy. I'm the person, I think I always knew was inside of me.

Make no bones about it, it is difficult. It is a huge mental mind screw. There are days I look in the mirror and I don't see me now. I see me as I was a year ago. It's hard. But there are days, I look in the mirror, with the biggest smile on my face and I see me as I am now. I've made it and I've done it.

Hugs to everyone who does this journey. It's well worth it.

I was going to post some pics from my gallery, but they were insanely too big.

Here is the link. http://www.lapbandta.../7195-new-pics/

Hi,

Did you have plastic surgery after all that weight loss?

Thanks for the part about the mind. I have not been able to figure out why I'm depressed lately. I never get depressed, but it it full blown now. I have only lost one pound in three weeks and that upsets me, but everything does. Been trying to figure out what to do about myself. Thanks for the help. And congratulations on the one year plus wonderful weight loss.

Thanks for sharing your story, very well written and inspirational. Would you be willing to share some of your tips for success with us? What you ate, how much you worked out, how you dealt with the emotional aspect etc? You look amazing and are truly an inspiration. Thanks again for your post.

Wow... amazing!

Hi,

Did you have plastic surgery after all that weight loss?

I actually have a TT and breast lift scheduled on Sept 1st. Which is my birthday, lol. Not sure if it will be the best or worst present yet, but nonetheless, I'm doing it.

Thanks all for the responses. I wish you all the best. If you have any questions, just send me a message, I'll be more than happy to share my experiences, highs and lows with you.

Thanks for the part about the mind. I have not been able to figure out why I'm depressed lately. I never get depressed, but it it full blown now. I have only lost one pound in three weeks and that upsets me, but everything does. Been trying to figure out what to do about myself. Thanks for the help. And congratulations on the one year plus wonderful weight loss.

Hugs to you! It is so hard, my poor husband, I'm sure thought I was spiraling out of control. What is weird, is, I "think" I felt okay. Him and my mom kept saying, it's got to be the lack of food, the surgery, I was in complete denial. But, looking back on it now, with a clear head, I can see it clear as day now.

I'm a firm believe that, I think counseling appts should be required AFTER surgery, once a month for at least the first 6 months. That pre-op psych eval is a bunch of hogwash. We go through so many changes, emotionally, mentally, physically during the first few months, that no wonder some of us go completely bonkers.

To be honest. I went crying to my OBGYN because I didn't know what was going on, he fully understood where I was coming from, I thought it was an insane case of PMDD. I did end up taking liquid Zoloft for 2 weeks a month for about 4 months, through December anyways. It helped a lot. In that time I was able to deal with all the changes and I took myself off of it in January.

Good luck! I know it is hard, boy do I ever. :)