Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. Losing weight the "correct" way?

Without deciding on surgery, a person has to follow a certain regimen in order to lose weight the 'correct way'. This way should minimize the yo-yo effect and teach the person a new way of life.

I'll stop the babbling and get to the point. How does living with the band affect our metabolism, more specifically, our resting metabolic rate?

The 'correct' way of weight loss, to which I keep referring to, requires a person to eat small meals many times a day. This makes sure that a person is never really hungry and should prevent the person from over-eating out of hunger. Additionally, eating small meals every 3~4 hours means that the body is ALWAYS digesting and naturally, the metabolic rate increases.

During my freshman year in college, I lost 75 pounds by exercising hard and eating right. I would eat every 3 hours on the dot and would run 5~8 miles a day. At that point in my life, my metabolism was fast enough to maintain my weight loss.

After my motorcycle accident and the subsequent years spent in the wheelchair, my metabolism has dwindled down to a near-stop. I definitely eat less than I used to... but the mere fact of my limited mobility meant that I kept gaining weight.

Now that I'm banded... I've read up on the lifestyle after surgery... but it got me wondering if the post-surgery diet is actually conducive for long-term weight loss.

Eating small meals only 3 times a day means less caloric intake.... but what about its effects on the RMR....on how the body spends the calories?

I'm starting to think about diverting from the surgeon's diet guidelines to one where I can increase my RMR. Of course, I will have to increase my weight-lifting to further enhance my weight loss...

Read good calories/bad calories -or- why we get fat both by Gary Taubes. The 2nd one is a condensed version of the first. He goes through all processes surrounding metabolism and common misconceptions that are unfounded.

i eat 5 small meals per day - approximately every 3 hours. if i didn't, i'd never hit anywhere close to the amount of calories i need...in fact, even with eating 5 small meals, most days i average about 850-900 calories. my surgeon is quite happy with me eating that way. i've never been told to just have 3 meals a day. i think, as long as you get in the Protein and calories you need, you can be flexible with your eating schedule.

What makes you so sure there's any "correct" way to lose weight? There's really only the way that suits you personally. Even our docs cant agree, so I would never take their recommendation as gospel, if something didnt suit me, I'd change it.

I eat 3 meals a day - they're small, but not tiny. I eat carbs. I never drink Protein shakes. I run a lot and only do Body Pump for strength training - and we all know what any weight lifting enthusiast will say about body pump or lots of cardio. I lost 120lb and have kept it off for over four years now. I have the body that I personally wasnt, meaning that it's lean, long and slender and only lightly muscled. I can maintain my 135 lb on about 1800 to 2000 calories a day. I'm happy so I couldnt give a flying you know what if someone thinks I've done it the "wrong" way. My metabolism appears to be just fine!

I reckon stuff the experts, stuff current opinion and fashion, stuff what the studies say. I know what works for me!

What makes you so sure there's any "correct" way to lose weight? There's really only the way that suits you personally. Even our docs cant agree, so I would never take their recommendation as gospel, if something didnt suit me, I'd change it.

I eat 3 meals a day - they're small, but not tiny. I eat carbs. I never drink Protein shakes. I run a lot and only do Body Pump for strength training - and we all know what any weight lifting enthusiast will say about body pump or lots of cardio. I lost 120lb and have kept it off for over four years now. I have the body that I personally wasnt, meaning that it's lean, long and slender and only lightly muscled. I can maintain my 135 lb on about 1800 to 2000 calories a day. I'm happy so I couldnt give a flying you know what if someone thinks I've done it the "wrong" way. My metabolism appears to be just fine!

I reckon stuff the experts, stuff current opinion and fashion, stuff what the studies say. I know what works for me!

Well said!