Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band not installed!

I agree. I wasn't implying that he was a poor surgeon based on his profile here. I also checked him out on another website that rates doctors and found that the majority of the surgeries he does are gall bladder and abdominal scar tissue removal. It didn't even mention bariatrics as something he does. Based on that and the fact that he has only been doing lap band since 2009 I would think that he is somewhat inexperienced and think that the OP would have better luck with someone more experienced.

I can agree with this also. You may be better off to see another doctor who has more experience in the Lap Band. Some surgeons do ONLY weight loss surgery and then some surgeons, like yours, do weight loss surgery part time but mostly do other types of surgeries.

I'm sure this is to far for you to come,,,, but in Detroit, Michigan. There is a Hospital called Henry Fords.

As long as you are under 500Lbs. Surgery is possible for you. The surgeons are use to the Super Obese, Their equipment holds up to 500Lbs., that's why it stops there.

They are a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery. They can be found on the Internet also.

If I were in your shoes I would look at what they offer, wright it all down, and then compare to a Center of Excellence in your area. I would definitely seek someone else's opinion or 2.

Yes they would like you smaller in size if possible, but sometimes it's not. Like someone that weighs 400Lbs., and has had to have both legs removed because of Diabetes. They are still in there trying, and surgery is available to them.

So don't throw in the towel, just do some research on other places, check out the surgeons, (CHIEF SURGEON WOULD BE EXCELLENT !) then decide where you would like to go.

If no one has the options like Henry Ford has, I'm sure you can contact them, and they will know where to recommend you to. There are one time students from there that are all over the country. So there has to be someone closer to you.

Hope this helps some, Shirley.

I would not go back to him. I would find a new doctor. I just checked out your doctor and found that he has 15 patients registered here. 8 are pre op. Of the 7 that are post op only 1 has had success plus he has only been doing bariatric surgery for about 2 years.

How can you Check on the Drs here? That is amazing! My Dr is Howard Simon MD , Syracuse NY

How can you Check on the Drs here? That is amazing! My Dr is Howard Simon MD , Syracuse NY

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forum/1658-dr-howard-simon/

Dr. William A. Graber | New York | Bariatric Surgery | Weight Loss ... www.drgrabermd.com/ - Cached SimilarYou +1'd this publicly. UndoBariatric Surgery Center of Excellence Walk From Obesity. Dr. Graber and Dr. ... Bariatric surgery at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center in Syracuse, NY! ...

You've visited this page 2 times. Last visit: 7/28/11

Here is a example of a Surgeon in your area, that is a Center of Excellence in Bariatrics.

There are more; Just google Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery Syracuse, New York.

It must have been so disappointing to wake up from surgery to that news. :angry: I definitely think you need to keep trying. I agree with other posters about getting a 2nd opinion. Good luck to you.

I agree. I wasn't implying that he was a poor surgeon based on his profile here. I also checked him out on another website that rates doctors and found that the majority of the surgeries he does are gall bladder and abdominal scar tissue removal. It didn't even mention bariatrics as something he does. Based on that and the fact that he has only been doing lap band since 2009 I would think that he is somewhat inexperienced and think that the OP would have better luck with someone more experienced.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

If I were in that BMI category I'd want someone with a lot of experience myself. Well, even at a BMI of 36 to start, I wanted someone with lots of experience. It would be interesting for the OP to ask for a copy of the surgical report and find out what the surgeon saw inside. We can all comment on what we think should have happened, but the surgical team are the only ones who know what was found inside.

I agree with Cindy and tried to find a way to post similar thoughts without causing trouble. I believe that the super obese do not qualify for the band and the surgeon should have known that. I feel bad for the original poster but I wouldn't keep that surgeon.

Mimi

I was SMO. A malabsorptive surgery (RNY or DS) is not appropriate for me because of other medical conditions. The sleeve was not being done by my surgeon at the time I was banded.

I've lost over 200lbs by using my band to control my appetite and exercising.

Your beliefs would leave me obese. Gee thanks.