Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band not installed!

Had my surgery Monday, the 25th. I woke up around 11:30 to hear the doctor say he couldn't get the device around my stomach, because there was "too much fat" around the stomach. I'm 6'4" 400 lbs. should there have been this problem? He aborted the operation, he said, after 2 hours of "lifting, tugging, turning..." Should I worry abo...ut this? The rep said I need to lose 30 more pounds to try again-total of 50 lbs-that's 25% of my weightloss goal! I'll only have 150 lbs left--will I even want to do it then...shees, I woke up thinking my road was paved, and marked...now I'm at another crossroad.

I admire you very much, if you can lose what you need to, to have them try again, the band can help you continue on your journey. Remember, after you are done losing, there is maintenance for life.

No reflection on you, but I wonder if you could get a second opinion. It is almost as if this doctor doesn't know as much as he should about the super obese.

I wish you the best and hope you keep us updated on your odyssey (sp).

Mimi

I'm so sorry about this disappointment. That must have been really frustrating.

I am 5"10 and was about 390 at the time of my surgery. I was on a strict liquid Protein shake diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery that was supposed to reduce fat around the liver and stomach. Did you do something like that? Did the doctor indicate whether this is something that is common?

I know the idea of losing 30 more pounds is frustrating. But you can do it and I know you will be successful!

Man, what a bummer! I'm so sorry to hear about this. As someone else mentioned, you should have been on a very low carb, high Protein diet prior to surgery. Did you stick to the diet if recommended? My doctor mentioned that he had patients before who did not do the diet and he was unable to operate as well. If you give it another shot, and I think you should, I would ask the doctor about the pre-op diet. I wish you all the best!

Had my surgery Monday, the 25th. I woke up around 11:30 to hear the doctor say he couldn't get the device around my stomach, because there was "too much fat" around the stomach. I'm 6'4" 400 lbs. should there have been this problem? He aborted the operation, he said, after 2 hours of "lifting, tugging, turning..." Should I worry abo...ut this? The rep said I need to lose 30 more pounds to try again-total of 50 lbs-that's 25% of my weightloss goal! I'll only have 150 lbs left--will I even want to do it then...shees, I woke up thinking my road was paved, and marked...now I'm at another crossroad.

That is too bad. My brother is a Big Big Boy 6'1" and weighed over 500 pounds. He didn't have a problem. There are different size bands. Wonder it your surgeon had the options available.

I wish you the best. I think you should try again. I just love my band, it has helped me so much.

Good luck to you

I would not go back to him. I would find a new doctor. I just checked out your doctor and found that he has 15 patients registered here. 8 are pre op. Of the 7 that are post op only 1 has had success plus he has only been doing bariatric surgery for about 2 years.

I agree with Cindy. I think you should interview a few more bariatric surgeons. I was nearly your size and a good 7" shorter and only had 1 day of clear liquid before surgery and the surgeon had no issues banding me. Sounds like to me that your surgeon isn't as skilled as he could be.

Congratulations on losing 20lbs already.. Fantastic!! and yes, you will want to lose the rest after you get the first 50 off. Right now you're just disappointed and perhaps a bit depressed that you didn't get banded...

Keep on pushing for your surgery. Find a more skilled and experienced surgeon.

Every person's anatomy is different. I'd rather they not continue the surgery than risk my health trying to force a band where it won't fit.

I don't think judging the surgeon by stats here is necessarily fair. Of the 9 patients who list my surgeon, I am the only only one at a normal BMI. But there is no way to know how many people have drifted off and not updated their status. I am not saying don't get a second opinion, but to say he is a poor surgeon based on that..well...I don't know......

I'm so sorry! I lost weight by pretending I had a lapband already. Wasn't easy but I dropped 27 pounds in 6 weeks before surgery - no all liquid diet, I just ate less. But it sucked being hungry. Try Protein Shakes between smaller meals. It helped me. I will be thinking about you.

Every person's anatomy is different. I'd rather they not continue the surgery than risk my health trying to force a band where it won't fit.

I don't think judging the surgeon by stats here is necessarily fair. Of the 9 patients who list my surgeon, I am the only only one at a normal BMI. But there is no way to know how many people have drifted off and not updated their status. I am not saying don't get a second opinion, but to say he is a poor surgeon based on that..well...I don't know......

I agree. I wasn't implying that he was a poor surgeon based on his profile here. I also checked him out on another website that rates doctors and found that the majority of the surgeries he does are gall bladder and abdominal scar tissue removal. It didn't even mention bariatrics as something he does. Based on that and the fact that he has only been doing lap band since 2009 I would think that he is somewhat inexperienced and think that the OP would have better luck with someone more experienced.

I agree with Cindy and tried to find a way to post similar thoughts without causing trouble. I believe that the super obese do not qualify for the band and the surgeon should have known that. I feel bad for the original poster but I wouldn't keep that surgeon.

Mimi

I agree with Cindy and tried to find a way to post similar thoughts without causing trouble. I believe that the super obese do not qualify for the band and the surgeon should have known that. I feel bad for the original poster but I wouldn't keep that surgeon.

Mimi

I don't agree that the super obese don't qualify for lap band. At 6'4" and 400# his BMI is 48. That is exactly what mine was at the beginning of my journey. I think part of the difference is that my doctor has been doing lap band since 2003 and has done almost 3000 of them.

While a bit of a surprise, were it "me" in that situation, I'd try to use it as opportunity to "live the Bandster lifestyle" and find ways to modify my eating behavior "as if" Banding had in fact occurred.

Exploration of those hidden and often denied behavioral activities relating to our Morbid Obesity have to be accomplished in any event, whether Banded or not, IMHO.

Whoever we choose to do surgery, or get it done at all, is less important in the long run, than finding a way to move our spirit along with our body, ever towards the goal we have.

"Healthy eating habits" is a difficult goal for any Bandster to achieve.

Using the tools we have accumulated is essential in all phases of achieve control of our Belly Beasts. Developing newer and ever-more effective means of accomplishing our goals requires discipline and daily focused effort.

Cheers on your journey.

I am 6ft 4 and 415 at time of surgery. My Dr. ordered a larger band to use and I had no problems. I am sorry to hear that this happened to you! I couldn't imagine going through that. I do know that the Doc had to specially order my band my surgery was even postponed a few days because of it. Maybe your surgeon just asumed he could make due with smaller band?

I agree with Cindy. I think you should interview a few more bariatric surgeons. I was nearly your size and a good 7" shorter and only had 1 day of clear liquid before surgery and the surgeon had no issues banding me. Sounds like to me that your surgeon isn't as skilled as he could be.

Congratulations on losing 20lbs already.. Fantastic!! and yes, you will want to lose the rest after you get the first 50 off. Right now you're just disappointed and perhaps a bit depressed that you didn't get banded...

Keep on pushing for your surgery. Find a more skilled and experienced surgeon.

Yeah but as a woman, you would most likely a) have smaller organs and B) have much more of your fat distrubuted under your skin rather than within your abdomen, no matter whether you are pear or apple shaped. Males have much more intra abdominal fat as a general rule. So with a slightly bigger stomach and liver and more fat packed tightely around and within those organs means you absolutely cant compare one person to another.

To the OP, it will be SO worth still banding if you've "only" got 150lb to lose. This band will help you get ALL of the weight off and it will help you to KEEP it off. I think it does more for me maintenance wise than it did losing to be honest. Stick it out, you can get there. And if you didnt do a liquid diet, I'd be making sure you did one this time, get that liver smaller and out of the way.