Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in San Francisco for a long weekend - one month post-op. I'm on the soft food stage. I'm having anxiety because we are eating at restaurants and I find myself at a loss over what to order - chinese last night, had wonton Soup and some chicken out of the kung pau. 3 shrimp. It's so easy to do this at home, hanging around or close to the house.

Suggestions on types of cuisine and what to order?

Italian? Thai? You get the picture.

Anything soft, that's not high in calories. Soups, Cold Plate is Great this time of year tuna salad, Egg Salad, Cottage cheese, Cheeses, Hard Boiled Egg That's the cold plate !

Chili, Stew, Anything on the Menu that comes up soft, S.F Desert.... Also pick anything from the above.

Be careful with the stew, Potatoes can get stuck. So chew, chew, and chew. Don't lose focus of your chewing, you don't want to get caught up in conversation, and slip something goes down, and your stuck. So Focus.

When I am eating out, I don't worry so much about calories as getting stuck. And you being so soon pre-op, should also be more worried about healing than calories as well--at least for the weekend.

If necessary, go to a convenience store and pick up some Protein shakes, so that if the restaurant doesn't have any foods you can eat, you can have that instead. Almost all restaurants have Soups. Shrimp can get stuck, be very wary of it. Also look to the appetizer menu. They often have easier to eat foods there. Again, not the healthiest choices, but right now you are limited with the 'soft food' requirement of your healing phase.

If your hotel has a refrigerator, I'd get some yogurt and other things I could eat. That way I could eat before going out and be less tempted to order something I shouldn't have.

Best wishes!

I went away shortly after being banded too and Soup was my best friend! I agree though, avoid the potatoes! Try to stay relaxed too. I notice if I'm anxious about food, I'm more likely to get stuck. Take a deep breath and enjoy the company! I usually eat something before I go out and then order a cup of soup and Water or iced tea (no straw) and pick at the food. I go out now to socialize and the food is secondary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches