Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soooo Bloated after Lap Band Surgery

I've been banded for a week today (also hernia repair), and I'm still so bloated. I look bloated, I feel bloated.The Protein drinks are killing me. When I mentioned it to my surgeon, they suggested lactose intolerance. Has anyone else had intolerance issues? I'm still on liquids for another week, but am terrified of real food at this point. I'm not really hungry, and have to force myself to eat sometimes (Sorry to those that are having hunger issues) Am I crazy to think I should have healed a little better by now?

Thanks All!

Hi deb!

I've been banded for 6 days now and sounds to me like you're on track! I'm still gassy, I still don't feel hungry, I still have problems with just Water going down too...it's ok!

I'm still on Clear Liquids and can't even drink Protein shakes now, so maybe you are still swollen and need to try Clear Liquids for a few days!

Good luck to you!

Deb,

I am 13 days post op and I had the same problem and felt the same way where you are now. Lactose intolarance can definelty be an issue but I also was only on clear liquids that first week. Just now the end of week two and adding in some milk and definetly feeling a little bloated.

Overall you sound like your right on track. I think I wrote a post asking the same thing feeling like I should be feeling better by then.. its only been the last 4 days that I have felt like im feeling better..

Good luck!

Kim

Hi - I'm 6 days post op and have also struggled with bloating, I think the doc added a basketball and a lapband or at least my belly feels that way :rolleyes: . They suggested the gas-x strips - hadn't seem to help yet. Didn't relate it to the milk but, I'll pay more attention tomorrow.

It can be just the gas they pump you with. I didnt suffer sooo much with lapband surgery but my bowel resection last year - wowsers! I looked fully nine months preggers after the surgery (because I was very slim it really showed). My belly was huge and round and hard as a rock and it lasted a full month - it went down gradually over that time, but it was awful becuase the surgery involved making an ileostomy and of course, that's now where I poop from - but it has no muscles, so I cant stop gas coming out either. Its generally silent these days but for that month, I would fart long and loud constantly, no matter where I was - it was hideously embarrassing.

Walking walking walking. And truly, if I didnt want to drink a Protein shake, I simply wouldnt shove it down, no matter how much Protein I'd been told to get. YOu are not going to die in these early weeks from having nothing but Water some days if that's all you can handle. I personally dont think that when you're starting out a new weight loss lifelong journey that shoving food you dont want down your gullet is a good start. If you're not hungry or are uncomfortable after eating, then dont, its simple.

Lap Band 10/25/2013 - Can't tolerate broth nor sugar free popsicles. Yesterday afternoon, Monday, 29th first episode of attempting vomiting. Dry heaves x6 along with sweaty skin and feeling weak. Tuesday morning my husband went to store and got Ensure Clear for me to drink. So far I have had 2. Did I mention how much I hate Water? Always have, guess I always will but must struggle on. Still feeling bloated. Taking Phazyme for gas and passing but bloat back up again. Shoulder strap pain from being "blowed up" doesn't feel good but at least it doesn't scare me............................

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches