Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HATE being on another DIET!

Trish,

Can u tell me how you get your fish oil without taking those giant pills?

I get them at Wal-Mart. It's called Coromega Omega 3 + D. It's a box that has 30 Tropical orange flavored squeeze packs. I've tried the pills, liquid, mixing the liquid with juice and this is the only thing I can stand. They are actually pretty good. A little expensive $12 for a box of 30 but I usually take 3 packs a day and it has so improved my mood and weight loss.

I get them at Wal-Mart. It's called Coromega Omega 3 + D. It's a box that has 30 Tropical orange flavored squeeze packs. I've tried the pills, liquid, mixing the liquid with juice and this is the only thing I can stand. They are actually pretty good. A little expensive $12 for a box of 30 but I usually take 3 packs a day and it has so improved my mood and weight loss.

Thanks for the info Trish! I'll have to give them a try.

Well I am right there with you but I am 2 years down the road and still well over 300 lbs. Lost about 40 and then recently just gained it back cuz the band was too tight. I go from no restriction to puking. I don't get the 'feel full' feeling that I was told about when I was researching this. I hate this and I don't see any light in my tunnel. I have changed so much of my life for this band and got nothing to show for it except spent a ton of money and put my body through hell... to be on a diet...

I'm going for my next appointment on 8/10 so I'm hoping a little more fill will give me something to work with. Honestly, if I wanted to sit down and eat a quarter pounder hamburger, ff and a drink, I could do it with no problem...that is what is frustrating. I don't do it but I COULD DO it...I shouldn't be "ABLE" to eat like that anymore....

Again, I'm just venting. I know I'll get there, I'll fall off the wagon once in a while and get back on the wagon. When I sabatoge, I do it to myself and I know it...those two oreos last month did not stop me and cause me to only lose 2 pounds....Yes, it is 2 pounds but it is ONLY two pounds. I'm not looking for 5 or 6 pounds a week. I'm hoping for 1 pound a week and would be thrilled with 2....I'm not unrealistic. Just frustrated. I'll get over it.

I think this is the core of the problem: You expect the band should PREVENT you from overeating. It won't. When properly adjusted, the band dims your appetite. The rest is up to you. If you eat right, you will feel full AND BE SATISFIED on a smaller amount of food. And you WILL NOT BE HUNGRY till several hours later. But to get there, you need to have enough fill in your band to achieve proper restriction. That sort of restriction is when pressure is put on the vagus nerve, which dims your appetite. If you want to eat a few Oreos once in awhile, your band won't stop you, and it's not enough calories to make a difference. Just plan them into your daily eating plan. No biggie. Just don't do it all the time.

In your several posts above you didn't say how much Fluid is in your band. If you were just banded in April, and assuming the next six weeks was about healing, you wouldn't have likely been called in for a fill till late May at the earliest. Assuming a month between fills, then you've only had one more at the most, and you say you're due again in August. So with only two fills, it's very likely you are nowhere near filled enough to achieve proper restriction. No wonder you're still hungry. I was banded in December, and didn't achieve full restriction until five months later, after five fills.

So hang in there. You're on an excellent track, but your expectations are getting ahead of your calendar. Don't be frustrated. Be energized to know you're heading in the right direction, and as the weight goes away, it's never going to come back. That's an awesome feeling.

As a little incentive, read this link. It'll explain what you're feeling, what the band is supposed to do, and hopefully will tell you the information you need to know, but haven't been told: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Good luck!

Dave

DAVE_NW is full of wisdom......any food plan you are on is technically your diet.....and we need to be on a calorie reduction diet and calorie maintenance diet FOREVER!!!! Your expectations are not the reality of life.

I wish you well but if you don't change you will not be a success with this band. It is only a tool, not a magic wand.

Mimi

I have to give my 2 cents to this one- I also HATE to diet, but since I was banded (6/9/10) I haven't looked at it as dieting- it has been a lifestyle change for me. I stay away from bread and Pasta, both because I LOVE THEM and they stick in my band. I think perhaps some of it is my brain and some is my band.

But if I want sweet- I have sweet. To be honest I have a little chocolate everyday or I will be like that boy in the chocolate factory and try and eat a river of it. I also snack on popcorn quite a few days a week

Have I lost weight? YUP. 85 lbs in 13 months- I plateaued in February and the fact I don't take in enough calories is annoying me terribly. But like anything worth time in life it's a tweaking of the skills we learn

In the 13 months since being banded I have gone from a size 22 to a 10 and from a 44f to a 36DD. Yes, it's about the band- BUT it's also about your mindset with the band. If u think u will fail or that it won't work then my guess is that it won't work

Hi love!

Just wondering, when is the last time you went for a fill? Consulted with your surgeon? Nutritionist?

Yes dieting is hard, hell diets don't work at all!! But it's a lifestyle change that you should be committing to. Ask yourself if you are utilizing all of the "tools" that come with your band. This isn't a journey that you should or even HAVE to go on alone.

Much love to u!!

Well I am right there with you but I am 2 years down the road and still well over 300 lbs. Lost about 40 and then recently just gained it back cuz the band was too tight. I go from no restriction to puking. I don't get the 'feel full' feeling that I was told about when I was researching this. I hate this and I don't see any light in my tunnel. I have changed so much of my life for this band and got nothing to show for it except spent a ton of money and put my body through hell... to be on a diet...

I felt just like you did for up to 7 months after being banded because I was making myself "diet" in order just to lose a little weight. I didn't get a good fill until my 7 month of being banded that took away my hunger sensation for up to 4 hours after eating. It will happen sooner or later so just stick with it! Some people only need a few fills or none at all to get to that point. I am a turtle at losing weight compared to some people. I average 1 pound a week since being banded! I am just as proud as someone that averages 3 pounds a week! Good for them and good for me! Keep your head up!;)

I get "gummy fish" pills at costco. They're technically for children, so I eat four a day rather than two. They're not bad. . .

Trish,

I think this is the core of the problem: You expect the band should PREVENT you from overeating. It won't. When properly adjusted, the band dims your appetite. The rest is up to you. If you eat right, you will feel full AND BE SATISFIED on a smaller amount of food. And you WILL NOT BE HUNGRY till several hours later. But to get there, you need to have enough fill in your band to achieve proper restriction. That sort of restriction is when pressure is put on the vagus nerve, which dims your appetite. If you want to eat a few Oreos once in awhile, your band won't stop you, and it's not enough calories to make a difference. Just plan them into your daily eating plan. No biggie. Just don't do it all the time.

In your several posts above you didn't say how much Fluid is in your band. If you were just banded in April, and assuming the next six weeks was about healing, you wouldn't have likely been called in for a fill till late May at the earliest. Assuming a month between fills, then you've only had one more at the most, and you say you're due again in August. So with only two fills, it's very likely you are nowhere near filled enough to achieve proper restriction. No wonder you're still hungry. I was banded in December, and didn't achieve full restriction until five months later, after five fills.

So hang in there. You're on an excellent track, but your expectations are getting ahead of your calendar. Don't be frustrated. Be energized to know you're heading in the right direction, and as the weight goes away, it's never going to come back. That's an awesome feeling.

As a little incentive, read this link. It'll explain what you're feeling, what the band is supposed to do, and hopefully will tell you the information you need to know, but haven't been told: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Good luck!

Dave

Thanks Dave. I appreciate all the insight but let me explain that I do not expect it to stop me from overeating. I know I can still do that if I want to and I don't want to. I'm pretty good at controlling things. What is frustrating me is that it I'm hungry. I'm watching and counting and measuring.....but I'm hungry in an hour or two. I'm doing Protein first, I'm drinking enough and hope that the liquid will keep me full, but it just keeps me running to the bathroom.

I have an 11cc Realize band and right now I think I have 4.5 cc's. I go for another fill on 8/10 so I'm hoping there is some more put in. I know the band isn't a magic wand, and I don't have a problem doing the work that comes along wtih it. I don't expect to be able to eat McDonalds, junk food, cakes, Cookies etc and loose weight. I'm not stupid but I'm doing what I should be doing probably 90% of the time and don't beat myself up for my occassional treats....if I didn't treat myself occassionally I'd go insane. Since 4/18, I've probably eaten 2 small pieces of birthday cake (maybe three bites each), 4 oreo Cookies (yes, I know that is how many), two bites of my son's mcdonalds hamburger and 4 of his french fries. I've had 3 of 4 glasses of sweet tea and eaten some picnic food like corn on the cob, hot dogs, potato salad etc. BUT, whatever I eat that isn't on the "good diet" is so small in comparison to how I used to eat. I DO NOT overeat anymore....like I said. And my calories have probably been cut by more than half of what they used to be. I'm supposed to stay under 1,100 calories and am more like 1,500-1,700 per day. I'm not getting more calories because I'm overeating and bored, I'm getting them because I'm really hungry. Eating a greek yogurt to try and hold me over isn't cutting it.

I am not expecting the band to do the work, and I'm not expecting it to stop me from eating...that is my choice but I was expecting my "tool" to help me control the hunger a bit. restriction/hunger control ...whatever it is supposed to do...I feel the same, I still get hungry and although I'm really, really cutting my calories, keeping it under 1,100 is very very very hard for me.

I'm just so frustrated but I know I'll get there...I like to come on here and just vent, get some good tips, a few kicks in the butt and to hear that others have been there or are feeling my pain with me....Thank you everyone for letting me vent.

Unfortunately they don't operate on our brain! If they ever come up with that surgery I'll be the first in line :lol: The band is just a piece of plastic. I know you know this.

food was my best friend for a lot of years. I turned to food when I was tired, angry, sad, happy, lonely, bored... My nutritionist asked me (before surgery) if I had thought of what I would do after surgery when I could not turn to food as my bestie. I had not thought of that. Please believe me when I tell you after 3 or 4 fills things will get better. Time is your friend. It looks and feels bleak right now and I understand your feelings. I was in your place about a year ago. I was banded on 8/30/10. Since I have been through all the feelings and trials you are talking about. 86 pounds lost and counting. I does get easier.

Good luck.

OP, I'm 7.5 months out and just now (3 weeks ago) reached my green zone. Patience. Easier said than done, but you have to have patience. Some people have restriction with the band alone, some get it within a couple fills, some (moi) have months of discouragement before they get there.

You just go ahead and fuss sunshine. Lord knows I've had my days. I just usually let my husband hear it all. I'll b***h one day and then get back on the bus the next day with some changes. There have only been a couple of times where I have been hungry and that has been right before it is time for a fill. I'll just trick myself with some Special K cracker chips or some pickles because I can eat quite a bit of both for not a lot of calories. Here recently I started really looking at any nutrients I might be missing and uped my fish oil. It took my grouchies away and I also started loosing 3 lbs a week doing the same thing I was doing before and barely loosing a pound. You might want to look into that. I did a lot of research on it and I sware by it now. Just keep swimming.

LOL....thank you.....great words that help but now I've got the "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" song in my head.....I just hear Ellen singing the song....

Trish,

See this is what I mean... .Giant pills? ??? I have fish oil pills and my multi Vitamins that are huge...and I have NO PROBLEM getting these down. Not that I want to choke, PB or anything like that so I should be grateful for that but things like this aren't an issue for me and I thought they should be? I guess I'm lucky and should settle for a little frustrated rather than too tight that I can't get my pills down...Shut Up Staci and be happy (that's what I tell myself sometimes....)

See this is what I mean... .Giant pills???? I have fish oil pills and my multi Vitamins that are huge...and I have NO PROBLEM getting these down. Not that I want to choke, PB or anything like that so I should be grateful for that but things like this aren't an issue for me and I thought they should be? I guess I'm lucky and should settle for a little frustrated rather than too tight that I can't get my pills down...Shut Up Staci and be happy (that's what I tell myself sometimes....)

LOL!! You're cracking me up. You have every right to vent and be frustrated. I had no issues taking my pills up until 3 weeks ago. Now I'm petrified of taking my Synthroid and that pill is TINY. You'll get there, wink.gif. Know you're not alone though.