Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sobriety and The Lap Band

I was just wondering if anyone else banded, has been sober for any length of time?

i'm forced to be sober by the surgeon's restrictions - couldn't drink during 14 day pre-op diet - cannot drink 6-8 weeks following surgery during healing. I'm looking forward to my first drink after healing. I may end up pretty much quitting drinking though or only doing it every great once in a while because on the dr.'s 800 calorie per day diet - it leaves very little room for the calories from alcohol (even though i would only do a shot of absolute mixed with crystal light - the fewest calories possible). Best of luck to you!

I was just wondering if anyone else banded, has been sober for any length of time?

I was banded almost two months ago. I have consumed 3 or 4 oz. of wine about 4 times since about week 4 or 5. But I am on about an 800 cal limit, so I make sure I get in my 80 grams Protein and 64 oz Fluid first (yes, I count the 4 oz wine as part of my fluids! :-)... before I indulge in that one glass of wine. My PA and nutritionist advise to drink sparingly and wisely as booze turns directly into FAT, not just sugar!! I used to drink 2 to 4 glasses of wine 3 or 4 times per week, so this is really a change for me. But now when my friends are drinking wine in those beautiful stemmed wine glasses, I usually imbibe in about 6 oz Water in my beautiful stemmed wine glass! Surprisingly, I'm quite OK with it, especially since I am now getting so many compliments on how well I am doing and how good I am looking! As my Mom always said, all things in moderation! Good luck to you.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since right before I was banded. I will partake once I reach goal though.

Oops. I think maybe I wasn't quite clear. I am Sober as in AA. I got sober 9 years ago. I ask because food is also an addiction for me. It is yet another thing that I was using to comfort myself, and avoid feelings. This is just me. I'm happy to be dealing with another addictive behavior.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since right before I was banded. I will partake once I reach goal though.

I have only drunk twice since being banded and both times it only took a very small amount of wine for me to feel the effects! I am usually happy to be designated driver as this gives me a good reason for not drinking. Besides, I can't dance properly when drinking and I can't rehydrate while dancing if I'm drinking alcohol, so it's Water all the way - usually!

I drank very little prior to surgery so I probably have not a drink in about 4-5 months - I am going on vacation in Aug so will prbably partake then :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS ON 9 YEARS!!!!! I have had addictive problems since I was 15 years old and I'm 34. I used to drink and do drugs as well as smoke. All that went away and I turned to food, hard core! Got myself up to 440 lbs. Anyway, I'm fighting the food addiction now. I just binged tonight and I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post op. I somehow was able to eat lots and lots of food. :( I hate addiction, hate it! I'm part of a group called CR (celebrate recovery) and though I haven't gone in awhile I'm thinking I need to be heading back since I'm struggling right now. I didn't realize it would hit me so hard trying to remove the food addiction but it is.

Oops. I think maybe I wasn't quite clear. I am Sober as in AA. I got sober 9 years ago. I ask because food is also an addiction for me. It is yet another thing that I was using to comfort myself, and avoid feelings. This is just me. I'm happy to be dealing with another addictive behavior.

Yes, I hate addiction too! Unfortunately, it runs in my family. It seems that whenever I get one thing under control, another pops up....like little moles in mole holes. lol And I still smoke. It's my last holdout. After I get down in my weight, I definitely have to let that go. It's not the substance, it's our 'head' and the 'why' of our eating. Have you been to any OA meetings? They helped. Stay in touch. We have a lot in common! You and I can do this!!!

:rolleyes:

CONGRATULATIONS ON 9 YEARS!!!!! I have had addictive problems since I was 15 years old and I'm 34. I used to drink and do drugs as well as smoke. All that went away and I turned to food, hard core! Got myself up to 440 lbs. Anyway, I'm fighting the food addiction now. I just binged tonight and I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post op. I somehow was able to eat lots and lots of food. :( I hate addiction, hate it! I'm part of a group called CR (celebrate recovery) and though I haven't gone in awhile I'm thinking I need to be heading back since I'm struggling right now. I didn't realize it would hit me so hard trying to remove the food addiction but it is.

Congrats on 9 years!

I lost my brother to drug addiction and my boyfriend is a recovering addict/alcoholic with 2 years under his belt. I just wanted to give you mad props!! thumbup.gif

CONGRATULATIONS ON 9 YEARS!!!!! I have had addictive problems since I was 15 years old and I'm 34. I used to drink and do drugs as well as smoke. All that went away and I turned to food, hard core! Got myself up to 440 lbs. Anyway, I'm fighting the food addiction now. I just binged tonight and I'm only 2 1/2 weeks post op. I somehow was able to eat lots and lots of food. :( I hate addiction, hate it! I'm part of a group called CR (Celebrate recovery) and though I haven't gone in awhile I'm thinking I need to be heading back since I'm struggling right now. I didn't realize it would hit me so hard trying to remove the food addiction but it is.

That's because you eat food to live... So how can you get away from it? I try to keep my mind of Foods, and Fills help that aspect. What do you do about it?

So you have a cross addiction correct? One to food, and the other to Alcohol.

I met a Man at a WL meeting. and he was banded, and was in Tip Top Shape. When we introduced ourselves, he said he lost over 400 LBS with the Band, and the Band saved his LIFE.

My mouth hit the floor, I couldn't believe it. Then he said He swap 1 addiction for the other "this can be common." He worked out at the Gym while banded, but his calories were all liquid Calories. Next he tried pain killers for his knees, and the booze and the pills formed a real good relationship. Until he almost died of a over dose.

So he belonged to Lap Band Meetings, AA Meetings, and NA Meetings.

I will never forget him, because it was the first time I ever heard about swapping out Food, for another addiction, and his addictions were consumed all through the mouth.

Yes, it is easy to substitute one addiction for another, it's known as addiction transfer. I have several addictions, food being the last one I worked on. I was in therapy for about a year. I learned positive ways of dealing with stress and worked on feeling my feelings. I still struggle with the food. I have maintained a weight loss of about a hundred pounds since Sept. However, I am working on sticking with a balanced diet. I have binged, then had days of deprivation (such as just doing protien shakes). The good days have balanced out the bad days but I know it's not healthy. Congrats on 9 years sober and keep up the good work!

Thank You! I too have lost people to this horrible disease. My father was one of those people. Good for your boyfriend! I'm so glad to see others' success.

Congrats on 9 years!

I lost my brother to drug addiction and my boyfriend is a recovering addict/alcoholic with 2 years under his belt. I just wanted to give you mad props!! thumbup.gif

So true! It's actually easier to put down a drug or a drink....we have to eat food so it's around us all the time! Can't wait for my first fill.

That's because you eat food to live... So how can you get away from it? I try to keep my mind of Foods, and Fills help that aspect. What do you do about it?