Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much of your weight loss success is based on exercise? I'm 2 weeks post op and not exercising yet but wonder how important it is at my current weight of 350?

It is not too soon to start walking and using hand weights. You will lose without exercise but you may not lose fat, but may lose muscle mass, which is not good. The stronger our muscles the more calories are burned, even at rest. Congratulations on your new life.

Mimi

How much of your weight loss success is based on exercise? I'm 2 weeks post op and not exercising yet but wonder how important it is at my current weight of 350?

I think a lot depends on the person and their metabolism, as well as age. I am older and my metabolism is slower, add to that I am a diabetic and voila! exercise is a MUST. I am no longer on medication for diabetes but that does not mean I am "cured", so I remain insulin resistant (not too bad though) and exercise keeps diabetes at bay.

I had back surgery in 2004 and I have spinal stenosis so strenuous exercise is out of the question. But, I power walk 3+ miles every morning. I am also working with a physical therapist to build more muscle so that I can do more strenuous exercises. I will never be a jogger, but I am hoping to be able to do yoga and pilates -- my physical therapist says I am not there yet, but maybe in the future.

So, yes, for me exercise has been a big part of my weight loss.

~Fran

Exercise has been very important to me. Even though my weight loss really slowed down, I've been able to fit into smaller clothes because of how the exercise is toning my body. I do a combination of cardio (treadmill, bike, eliptical machine) and weights. I rotate what I do and try to mix it up a little. That eliptical machine is a good workout. I would say, definitely exercise. It's worth it.

At 350 lb you'll probably lose plenty of fat just cutting back on food intake. But effective exercise needs some building up to, so its time to start!

I've run 6 to 10 kms five or more days a week through my whole journey. Its been a vital part of my success and I'd say the number one factor in keeping the weight off.

I go to the gym four or five days a week, on my way home from work. (I know if I get home first, I'm not likely to go back out, so I beat myself at my own game. :)) I spend about an hour doing different things, mainly burning fat on a recumbent bike. I have an iPod containing my favorite up-tempo music for keeping me motivated, and I watch the overhead TVs in the workout room while I pedal. It's not overly strenuous, but leaves me in a solid sweat every time. I can't swear it's helped me to lose weight, but I know it hasn't hurt. I know it's helped with my cardio health.

Dave

i walk twice a day on my breaks at work

thats it so far

down 50 : )

I exercise 5-6 days a week concentrating on the resistance. Learned the hard way by over exercising and not enough food intake my loss stopped. So I had to reformulate to get back to losing some poundage.

The other thing (I know it is different for everyone) in the past with diets where I lost 50lbs or more without exercise, I was less toned then. As I have lost the weight this time around with exercise, I am in smaller sized clothing than I was without exercise with the same amount of weight loss and my skin is slightly (not much) tighter than before.

:D Trust me as someone who started this journey at 408lbs and is now 332lbs we need.....MUST..excercise right now I go to both curves and shapes. Shapes has the ellipitical machines,swimming, treadmill, and other classes and curves has the 30min circuit training and zumba classes I go 3-4 times a week sometimes both on the same day and honestly I go more for the toning not so much the weight loss because the bigger you are the quicker you lose but also the more excess skin you have. I already know that I will have to get the wings on my arms done :( (surgically) because there is no amount of toning that will make them tight.I am 24 years old so excercise should be part of my life anyways. I find that I actually enjoy it and crave it when I can't get to it because of work or other duties. We must realize that the band is NOT a magic bullet it will not help tone you up and make you lose all the weight. Walking around your neighborhood is a good idea and build on time ex start walking for 15min then 30min then 45min etc because our bodies do get comfortable at a certain point and you want to get the most out of it :lol: Just take yur time don't rush it but as for your answer....YES it is a must!

I definitely have to exercise to lose weight. Fortunately, the more I lose, the easier the exercise becomes. I like to mix it up with cycling (stationary and outdoor), walking and plenty of dancing. Rock and roll is really energetic and fun, too.

I agree with all the posts. Exercise is very important. I wasn't a person who exercised on a routine basis. Since I had the surgery in May, it was and still is difficult for me. I have been losing weight without the exercise. I'm down 34 pounds since the surgery. I just got my first fill 2 weeks ago in surgery. I had to have a revision of my ports. In the beginning, I was only exercising twice a week about a 1.5 each time due to my work schedule. Things were hectic. Now, I'm up to 3.25 miles 3 times week.