Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone afraid of Failing??

I want this so badly, I start my pre op diet tomorrow and am scheduled for Surgery August 5, I'm just so afraid of failing at it, I don't want to be one of those people! I'm self pay and it's costing $16,000, I've just failed at so many other diets. I'm really excited it's just my nerves as well, thanks for listening to my rant!!

I imagine that your fears and concerns are shared by the majority of readers, even if you don't get a lot of responses. I am > than 2 years out and by anyones's standards a success, yet I worry all the time about failing.....it is a journey for sure.

Best wishes,

Mimi

I was banded on 6-17 - tomorrow is one month. I weigh myself every Friday - part of the FREEDOM CHALLENGE.:rolleyes:

I am petrified to get on the scale each week! I worry ..what if I did not lose? Keep in mind I feel restriction and I am following everything to a "T"! So, logically I know the scale should not remain the same however my prior diet failures that make up my past most likely make me a negative thinker.:(

Just sharing my thoughts.....

name='amys0703' timestamp='1310680880' post='1639759']

I want this so badly, I start my pre op diet tomorrow and am scheduled for Surgery August 5, I'm just so afraid of failing at it, I don't want to be one of those people! I'm self pay and it's costing $16,000, I've just failed at so many other diets. I'm really excited it's just my nerves as well, thanks for listening to my rant!!

Hey,

Rant away...I'm afraid of failing as well. I keep researching and researching and trying to see how many people fail. I've decided that I need to listen to what my doctor and nurse told me. "It's only a tool" If we do what we are suppose to do and eat like we're suppose to than we can do it. I've failed so much before but I think I was trying for the wrong reasons. I use to try to lose weight for my boyfriend, my kids, my mom...now I want to lose weight for ME. I want "ME" to live longer, I want "ME" to be healthy. Dig down deep and if you want this for you and you follow the rules YOU CAN DO IT! Good Luck and keep in touch B)

I think we all fear failing but I'm trying to enjoy every little success like putting on a shirt this morning that I hadn't been able to wear for a couple of years, like feeling light headed and having to go to the dr to have my blood pressure medications adjusted, like being able to dance all night without my knees aching for days afterways. It's a strange feeling to see the positive side of things instead of the negative but I'm hoping my new mind set will help me make this a long term success. Good luck and stay positive.

As long as you stick to a certain amount of calories a day ! you don't have to worry. Sure there's time you will stop losing weight, but you will lose inches instead. "THAT TO ME IS BETTER THEN POUNDS ANY DAY !" I do between 800-1200 calories daily. now that's not much, BUT ! When you are banded, and you start getting fills, "IT COULD TAKE A FEW FILLS" you begin to lose your appetite. So not hungry, 1000 calories a day, results,,,

WEIGHT LOSS ! Plus you will get into exercising or walking the dog, or house work too. This all helps take the weight off.

Just remember,,, this is a s l o w go, so be patient.

You need a good Protein shake. Don't buy whey! It can be fattening. Also, the mall stores are pricey. Shop on line, and look around. If your having a hard time? just google the name of the product, then look at the prices on each site. Go with the cheapest.

Hope this helps take the edge of failing.

It doesn't matter how you get there, just as long as you arrive !

Shirley.

Thanks for the positive feedback!! I keep thinking about how good I will feel about myself when I lose the weight!! I can't wait to shop in " normal" size stores!!

Petrified. I too have failed again and again at weight control, and I have a strong streak of perfectionism. If I don't get something exactly right (and who does all the time), I will walk away, ensuring failure.

Robbie (I haven't figured out how to make a signature yet)

I think everyone goes thru this feeling. I felt like I was going to be the only person to spend 10000 and not lose any weight. But I think that motivates me alot too, I spent 10000 and I am gonna lose weight. no matter what. I have 4 more lbs and I am 1/2 way to my goal. I dont think thats to bad for 13 weeks!

you will do great!

Am I afraid of failing, yeah. But I made a decision before surgery. I was going to change my life. I was extremely depressed and I told myself do this or there is nothing left. I'm happy I did because though the band is helping me a tiny bit, I'm doing the majority of this on my own. I'm hungry but not really sure if I want a fill because I'm losing fine because I'm sticking to a way of eating I believe the reason I am sticking to it is because I've changed my mindset. I'm not doing this because my mom's garrassing me. In doing this because I want to do it, and each pound lost makes me that much happier.

So am I afraid of failing a little, but it's not going to happen because I won't let it.

I'll say this ! there making them smarter now at a younger age,,, even in WLS.

Good for you ! You do it for you !

Sorry,,, repeat.

We are all afraid of failing because we've failed in the past. Any of us that have tried every diet in the world is hoping in the back of their mind that ...maybe this is the one thats going to work or this is the piece of exercise equipment that's giong to do the trick. It's normal to feel this way. Having the band is not a "miracle" cure, it takes time and effort but it's so worth it. I'm only 6months into the journey and I've only lost 30 lbs BUT I would have never been able to accomplish this on my own. i always said...if I could just eat less I know I could lose the weight. I'm eating less and I'm losing weight. I'd love to lose faster but that's just how my body works. You need to get the book titled Band Wagon. It was written by a lady that had the band and she breaks it down step by step. It's a great read, funny and very informative. I read it a month or so ago and wished I had read it before my surgery. I felt I was a very educated patient but I assumed that I would just start losing weight right away because I'm eating a fraction of the calories I consumed before the band. Well it doesn't necessarily work that way. Our bodies are really smart so it thinks you're starving. All those years of dieting and gaining gets you messed up. Another thing you have to consider are the non-scale victories. In just 3 months, my blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides were down by huge amounts. That in itself for me is an enormous victory! Get the book, you'll love it!

I was banded on 6-17 - tomorrow is one month. I weigh myself every Friday - part of the FREEDOM CHALLENGE.:rolleyes:

I am petrified to get on the scale each week! I worry ..what if I did not lose? Keep in mind I feel restriction and I am following everything to a "T"! So, logically I know the scale should not remain the same however my prior diet failures that make up my past most likely make me a negative thinker.:(

Just sharing my thoughts.....

name='amys0703' timestamp='1310680880' post='1639759']

Isn't awful how so many past failures can really mess you up!?! Sorry, but that really struck a cord w/me! I look for failure (when it comes to diets) and am not surprised by it..which is not a good thing.. but it's just how I've been conditioned doing all of these past diets. Hopefully being banded will break me out of that! Thanks for sharing this! :rolleyes:

A lot of times if you are drinking to much Fluid, the scale won't move. I know it's hot so stay hydrated for sure. But way a gallon of Water on the scale, and see what it tells you. So if you have a tendency to retain Water like I do. I make sure I take a water pill daily. It helps get rid of the stored Fluid, so when I drink, I don't see a 6lb. gain or whatever usually around 10lbs.

So I take what my Dr. gave me, and do my part, and I see a loss. Not much,, but it's not a gain.

If you retain water, you might want to talk to your PCP, and they can check easily, and see if that's the case, and do something for it.

I got weighed at her office today, and dropped 6lbs in almost 4 weeks. So,,, I'll take it !

My Turtle is movin!.