Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am surprised that I don't read more about the activity levels increasing for those of us who have been banded. I was and have been an avid exerciser for many years, but obviously I was taking in more calories then I was expending.

So, when I read fellow bandsters complaining about slow or non-existant weight loss, it amazes me that many don't talk about increasing activity levels. Yes, it is hard to make the time to workout, but if it means you will get to your healthy life faster, why not?

Maybe I can be of some encouragement to someone about making the decision to get moving! I love how I feel after a good workout and last night attended a wonderful Zumba class. Yes, I was out of step with the cute little instructor and my upper arms were about the size of her upper thigh, but I didn't care and kept up as best I could. I felt good about myself before, during and after. That's all that counts.

LET'S GET MOVING!!! :D

I agree! I love to work out. Havn't tried zumba but once and the instructor did a LOT of bouncing and jumping and my knees couldnt take it. I ve heard some classes have a lot less jumping and more dancing so as soon as im cleared for surgery im going to try it again! I love Taebo and wish I could find a group class, but maybe thats old school thse days :)

Im only one week post op today so for now, I'm walking.....

Thanks for the encouragement!

Kim

:rolleyes:

I am surprised that I don't read more about the activity levels increasing for those of us who have been banded. I was and have been an avid exerciser for many years, but obviously I was taking in more calories then I was expending.

So, when I read fellow bandsters complaining about slow or non-existant weight loss, it amazes me that many don't talk about increasing activity levels. Yes, it is hard to make the time to workout, but if it means you will get to your healthy life faster, why not?

Maybe I can be of some encouragement to someone about making the decision to get moving! I love how I feel after a good workout and last night attended a wonderful Zumba class. Yes, I was out of step with the cute little instructor and my upper arms were about the size of her upper thigh, but I didn't care and kept up as best I could. I felt good about myself before, during and after. That's all that counts.

Good point! I am 7 weeks post op and my activity level has sky rocked! I went from not exercising to exercising 5 days a week. I hurt my achillies tendon Sunday and could not walk because I was trying to jog. I will not do that again for a while. Exercise is a must in my weekly routine. I joined a gym and love the classes that they teach. I don't think I would loose if I didnt exercise.

Very important post indeed!

I honestly won't listen to anyone complaining about not finding the time to incorporate workouts to their daily routine. This is purely nonsense. You found time to gorge and pig-out...you can find time to exercise.

I'm not a big fan of 2~3 hour workout sessions. I think it's too much and cannot be sustained for a long time. However, I do believe in doing various 15~20 minute exercise sessions throughout the day.

Being a paraplegic, I'm only able to work out my upper body... but I try to do as much as i can. Even pushing my manual wheelchair, I can change the style to isolate different muscle groups. For instance, I can lean forward and focus on my pectorals... or I can lean back and work on my front deltoids. I can also go uphill backwards in my wheelchair to work out my traps and some triceps.

I'll try to go around my neighborhood (about 1 mile) with my dog at least once a day. It's pretty tough because we have pretty steep hills.

My mother ails from rheumatoid arthritis and absolutely abhors working out... but I am so adamant that if she'd lose 30~40 pounds, the impact on her knees would be so much less. I guess it's much easier said than done.

I thought I was exercising pretty good before the band but I've gone to a whole new level. I was walking daily about 30 to 40 mins. Now I ride my bike as many day a week I can and rumor walk about 1 hour a day. Asmy weight drops it gets easier anymore enjoyable.

Thanks for this post. Exwecising is my hardest thing. I have time but not the motivation. I am 1 week post-op and plan on starting in a week or so. Any suggestions or encouragement are greatly appreciated.

I needed to read your post tonight! I am nearly 4 weeks out and haven't been exercising. The strange this is that I walked for months up until the day I had surgery and for some reason I didn't get back in the groove.

I know I have got to start some fitness program and it needs to be soon! I always feel sooooo much better and you're right, the weight will come off much quicker.

I was already doing 1 hour of moderate + cardio seven days a week prior to surgery (and had been for a year and a half.). I make very conservative food choices. I am just a slow loser. Working full time and commuting a total of 2 hours a day I just don't have time to add more work outs.

I attribute half of my success to a crazy gym schedule. The best part is that since I'm in good shape I weight 150 lbs and people always think I weight about 20 lbs less. Being in shape is the best "cheat" of all. I get to look like a 130 lb person and eat like a 150 lb person. To me that's the best incentive of all!

The hunny and I recently joined a gym and have been going 4-5 times a week and I'm really liking it. It was hard for me to get comfortable being there, I was so ashamed and afraid everyone would be judging me, but now I realize we are all there to better ourselves and noone cares what your doing our how long you can do it for! Goodluck all!

I have been working out six days a week and resting on Sunday. At first it was all I could do to get through it so I started jogging outside. I loved the outdoor part but then it started getting into the 100's. We have had 18 Days over 100 degrees here in Texas this year. I have a workout room in my house and because I have not been working, I do at least an hour a day but I have really been reading that I can't pep up my slow metabolism without muscle so my focus has been more about the intensity and not the time or the speed. I finally saw a little bitty muscle appear in my arms the other day. Me and my husband were laughing about that earlier. It used to not come up any when I would flex and now you can see it...............woo hoo. One of the best things I work out on is a rebounder (mini trampoline). I turn on some of my old good 80's music and it really makes it fun and more like dancing.

Being that I am still a little over 400 lbs, exercise was something that NEVER felt good. I struggled/struggle to walk long distances. However the past 2 days I got up and got out of my house and walked around my complex for 15 minutes and that is HUGE success for me since I don't normally do that nor do I FEEL like ever doing that. So I have noticed already that just getting 35 lbs off I feel more energetic to get up and walk a little. So my exercise plan for now is doing exactly that! Walking.

I started going to boot camp 4 days a week this month. It's tough with working 12hr nights but I do it! I think this weekend I'm gonna hit the gym with a backpack and put 40 lbs worth of weight in it during my workout to remind myself of where I was 14 weeks ago!

I ADORE ZUMBA!!! Before my op I was doing it 2 or 3 times a week AND I have the game version for Xbox 360. I can't wait to heal enough to go back!!!

I agree. Why go through major surgery if you're not going to do everything possible to get the weight off. I would rather exercise than lower my calorie intake. I try to eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I walk a route in my neighborhood that includes some "killer diller" hills.

I just bought an elliptical machine and I'm going to add that to my routine as well as the walking.

I need to add some weight training but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions for a beginner?

My weight loss is still agonizing slow.