Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Temps Effecting Lap Band?

I just had a thought...

I saw a lot of people on here saying that they feel warm weather effects their band by making it seem much tighter.. I think I know why...

The molecules in many materials such as plastic expand in warmth and get smaller with cold.... Could the plastic material in our bands be expanding during the heat, therefore causing it to tighten it around the stomach ?

I'm sure this is a "duh" kinda question, but just thinking that if that's the case, it means maybe we could manipulate it ourselves a little more...

BUT... also... one person said she felt that warm liquid helped loosen it, but cold helped tighten it. My newest trick is a glass of ice cold Water before a meal to make it feel tighter so that I eat less...

..I am wondering if the inside of the band reacts opposite to temperature, then the outside of the band....

Any thoughts?

The liquid doesn't actually go into the band (but I know you know that) because the band in wrapped around the outter part of the stomach. I know in the mornings I need to have something hot before I can eat something. I would love to know the answer to why that is?

I'll be keeping my eye on this post!

My doctor says no liquid for 30 min. before a meal.

I just had a thought...

I saw a lot of people on here saying that they feel warm weather effects their band by making it seem much tighter.. I think I know why...

The molecules in many materials such as plastic expand in warmth and get smaller with cold.... Could the plastic material in our bands be expanding during the heat, therefore causing it to tighten it around the stomach ?

I'm sure this is a "duh" kinda question, but just thinking that if that's the case, it means maybe we could manipulate it ourselves a little more...

BUT... also... one person said she felt that warm liquid helped loosen it, but cold helped tighten it. My newest trick is a glass of ice cold Water before a meal to make it feel tighter so that I eat less...

..I am wondering if the inside of the band reacts opposite to temperature, then the outside of the band....

Any thoughts?

That's funny, mine says no liquids 30 minutes AFTER a meal but before a meal is fine...

The liquid doesn't actually go into the band (but I know you know that) because the band in wrapped around the outter part of the stomach. I know in the mornings I need to have something hot before I can eat something. I would love to know the answer to why that is?

I'll be keeping my eye on this post!

I should have rephrased that one part better.... they were talking about how DRINKING warm liquids loosens the band and drinking cold tightens it...

Yeah, me too I am really wanting to understand that part better....

I just had a thought...

Any thoughts?

When I first read this I thought you were talking about outside temps. I am tighter in the summer. Last year in Vegas, I was a 2 bite girl for 5 days. I got full so fast it made me worried. In the winter, I am eating everything in site. :huh: But the ice Water thing is a good idea, I have read that the body works harder when you drink cold. I has to bring the temps down and works more effectivly.

Regardless of the weather our bodies are consistently 98 degrees!

I know that blood vessels contract in the cold, that's why you ice an injury instead using heat. Not sure how that translates with the band. I'm going to try the iced drink idea before eating and see if I feel a difference.

Ok guys, so I experimented and all I can say is the band is moody and weird! I was outdoors all night 2 days ago in HOT, HUMID 80 degree weather and my band was so tight I felt like throwing up after 4 bites! That is the first time I felt like that in the 3 months since surgery.. the next day was the same when we went out in the heat shopping all day... today I have been in an air conditioned house..and want to eat the house! LOL I truly wish I could figure this out... good thing is... :lost1.5lbs: in 2 days!!! WHOOT WHOOT!!!

My band has gotten so tight all of the sudden. I can't even get mashed potato down. I have been on liquids for 5 days and still no relief. All I can think of is the extreme heat here in Texas.

My band has gotten so tight all of the sudden. I can't even get mashed potato down. I have been on liquids for 5 days and still no relief. All I can think of is the extreme heat here in Texas.

It's definitely adding up!

I definitely think there is some validity to this theory it would be great to really study this. It could change the way fills are done.

It actually has nothing to do with the temperature outside but rather the barometric pressure.

The higher the barometric pressure, the tighter the band.

And barometric pressure is higher in warmer weather because warmer weather is usually accompanied by clear skies. As a storm moves in, its low pressure upsets the pressure and drops the barometric pressure, thereby loosening your band.

Clear skies = high pressure = tight band.

Stormy skies = low pressure = loose band.

Watch the weather and you'll notice that you can eat more on rainy days than you can on clear days.

On the other hand (and other side of the world!), we had a super cold morning here on the weekend and I couldn't eat my Breakfast because I couldn't swallow - first time ever! I simply put my baked Beans into the fridge and tried again at lunchtime - no worries.

Very interesting you guys! Thanks Acadia, I knew you would come thru again ;):D