Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

united health care approval?

Yes..that's very true! I've seen people say they had to pay about 3k.. I am very grateful for my insurance! I have my seminar next week.. I'm very fresh to this but, very well informed.. I can't wait to get started on the process! Hopefully, once I meet with the surgeon things will flow pretty quickly from there.

All the best on your journey! :rolleyes:

you as well! :D

That is awesome for both of you! I may self pay, so keep in touch with me on your progress. Also, still appealing, do not think its fair to be on a diet and get weighed lower 4 yrs ago...??? Oh well, I decided to do this so I am going too!!! Let me know how it all turns out!

That is awesome for both of you! I may self pay, so keep in touch with me on your progress. Also, still appealing, do not think its fair to be on a diet and get weighed lower 4 yrs ago...??? Oh well, I decided to do this so I am going too!!! Let me know how it all turns out!

i know, it isnt. i will keep in touch with you. hopefully u get there. :)

Definitely!! I know insurance can be a joke sometimes..and the things they require can be unrealistic and irrelevant. I will certainly keep in touch w/you! I can't wait to share in the celebration of your success!!

All the best! :rolleyes:

I just received my letter in the mail from UHC dated July 8, 2011. My initial visit with my surgeon was 6/20/11. They approved me right away. I think every plan is different with UHC but I wish you the best.

thx guys! i will keep you all updated. :)

I just received my letter in the mail from UHC dated July 8, 2011. My initial visit with my surgeon was 6/20/11. They approved me right away. I think every plan is different with UHC but I wish you the best.

What did they require from you before your approval? :mellow:

I have UHC. I was approved in just a few days without needing nutrition counseling. My BMI was 37.1. My PCP did send in a referral letter indicating my failed attempts at other weight loss plans. I was also covered 100%. My "seminar" appointment was September 17, 2009 and my surgery day was November 2, 2009. It was quick and easy. Good luck to you all!

:D Do you mind me asking what was your out of pocket expense???? Thanks

well guys. they denied me after everyone i talked with said i would be approved. i dont understand. i fit the requirements. its a real cluster f**k. anything that could slow the process down has happened or will. now they are saying my dr didnt include the past weight loss attempts. so we have to re submit. but if they dont except it then ive wasted all this time and should have just been forming a new 6 month diet log. but everyones saying not to do that. idk. my mom has offered to self pay for me, and she has the money, but i would still feel guilty. i have a hard time spending my own money and i hate watching other ppl do it. i know im just whining, but im really fed up with the whole process. me and my mom have had to play the middle man between the insurance and my drs office since apparently they cant handle that themselves. im not giving up, im just fed up. not sure what the next step is.

:(

Don't give up! Your doctor should have sent the past wl attempts the first time around, I don't know why he's slacking. Plenty of people appeal, and win. I am just now starting the process myself and I have a bmi of 40.8, just went to a seminar last weekend and am going for my consult/psychiatric exam/dietician apptmt next week. I don't plan on getting denied because UHC covers lap bands, but for you I would definitely encourage you to APPEAL. See if the doctors office has a patient advocate. And if you don't feel like the doctors office is giving you 100% then go to a new surgeon, new doctor. You need people on your side and fighting for you.

What is your BMI? What have you tried in the past? Have you done the psych exam etc?

Don't give up! Your doctor should have sent the past wl attempts the first time around, I don't know why he's slacking. Plenty of people appeal, and win. I am just now starting the process myself and I have a bmi of 40.8, just went to a seminar last weekend and am going for my consult/psychiatric exam/dietician apptmt next week. I don't plan on getting denied because UHC covers lap bands, but for you I would definitely encourage you to APPEAL. See if the doctors office has a patient advocate. And if you don't feel like the doctors office is giving you 100% then go to a new surgeon, new doctor. You need people on your side and fighting for you.

What is your BMI? What have you tried in the past? Have you done the psych exam etc?

my bmi is well over 40. (cant remember exactly), but im about 280lbs and 5'4.5'' . i did a full physch test along with 3 sessions. did the nutritionist and paper work is being filled out now. again idk why my dr office didnt have me do that the first time. mostly past weight loss attempts have been calorie counting and working out, but i have also done weight watchers. i really do love my dr. he really seems to care, and know what hes doing. he has great success rates. i just hate the idiots that work in his office. i should prolly just go down there and have a meeting with them face to face.