Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday Fun Thread ~ Weird Fears

I have another one (actually I think I have layers upon layers) but anyway. I cant walk under trees at night because I am afraid a ratcoon will jump on my back. A neighbor kid planted that seed in my head when i was about 12, it has never happened yet (knock on wood) but I am pretty sure it is just a matter of time.

LOVE this thread!

Yall are going to think I am a freak, but I am PETRIFIED of touching anything metal... yeah, I typed it right... METAL, you know how it can shock you thru static electricity!!!

All of the handles are metal here at work and I hit it really hard with my finger before I grab it, so if it shocks me, I might not feel it if I hit it hard enough.

Typing this out, makes me think I might have OCD with this fear. I never thought of that until now.

I also jump into my car in the mornings when it is pitch black and look in the back (to make sure no on is in there) and THEN I lock the doors.

I HAVE to have a cover covering my whole body except my head, or I feel like something is going to get me. Ever since I was a kid I was like this. Hubby holding me, I don't need the cover, but without him there, I need it!!!

I was telling my co-workers about this thread at lunch today and we were laughing (in a good way... :) lol). They asked me what I had posted as my fear, and I said nothing - I'm not really afraid of anything, and I was kind of proud of that fact. I mean, I get startled, but I don't really have any PHOBIAS.

Well, I happen to work with my sister, and we always have lunch together, so she said, "What about giving blood? Aren't you afraid of needles?" :faint:

DOH!! I am the BIGGEST weenie about NEEDLES. And anything that has to do with veins, joints, eyeballs... lol It TOTALLY creeps me out, and I have fainted more times than I can count now, just because someone was trying to get some blood from me for some sort of blood test, or insert an IV. This is my biggest fear.

It is so bad that I even fainted off the toilet just reading an article about vericose veins... :Banane23: ;)

How silly is that?!?! I have yet to hear of anyone dying from giving blood or getting an IV... But the thought of that needle inside my vein... ACK! It's getting dark in here! I better stop while I'm still conscious... ROTFLMAO!!!

ooooooh Let's see....I have a fear of the main character from the movie Halloween, Michael Myers...Freaks me out! I am not really that freaked out about scary movies but there is something about him that I am scared of. The thought of something happening to my kids is a BIG fear. Roaches, wasps, bees.....:omg: and Zombies...hate them.

Now things that you would think would be scary I would love to encounter. Ghosts...OMG! I would love to see them and have contact with them...Vampires...;) Very cool....Old damp castles, haunted plantations, haunted French Quarter in New Orleans (LOVE IT). I just get a thrilling sensation about it all. I listen to haunting music and love bands that have that type of sound to their music like H.I.M., Lacuna Coil, Nox Arcana. I love the night, wind blowing, trees rustling, dark, quiet, full moons, moss hanging from trees, ravens and crows, cemeteries in the day AND night. I don't know, maybe it's the mystery of it all or the romanticism, the unknown, the thrilling chill of it all....call me weird! But I love it. Sounds like me and Porclndoll have a few things in common when it comes to ghosts and cemeteries! :rip: I liked your thoughts on bats flying and humans walking....it is so true!

This is a funny place for sure. Donali, now that you confessed your fear of needles, you should share your famous fill experience!

And a fear of raccoons falling out of trees is another good one.

I used to live in apartments (where you have to fight for open washers and dryers.) So I'd get up at 5:00 a.m. to do laundry. One day I turned the light on and a witch reached out and tried to eat me! Actually, she was a bag lady seeking warmth from a dryer, but she startled the life out of me.

Few years later, a well-dressed man in an expensive suit was lingering in another Laundromat while I did my clothes. He gave me the creeps, so I decided to wait in my car. He got in his vehicle and moved it to park next to me, then slid his door open to expose himself masturbating. I fled and left my entire wardrobe behind and practically drove on the sidewalk to get home. Police arrested him and convicted him a few months later after I was involved with a formal photo line up. Then a detective showed up at my work simply to say, "Lisa, you are one lucky girl." His name was Billy Giles.

Then in Oregon I snapped on the light in the dark laundry room and a MONSTER with wild fire eyeballs almost killed me. It flew at me, and then ran out the door through between my legs. It was a raccoon, though the monster story sounds better. I'm not afraid of coons, but no more laundry rooms.

Just spiders. You guys dont have the pleasure of huntsman spiders over there. Though I never hope to meet a tarantula, we have some really AWFUL spiders here, big as dinner plates. I just have about heart failure when I walk into a room and there's one sitting on the ceiling.

Because of my fear of spiders, I am absolutely fearful of doing anything like putting my hand anywhere there might be one. I never would put my hand behind the toilet to retrieve a toilet roll, or behind the fridge or under the BBQ to get something. I always scout around very well for spiders first.

I love this thread! I always check the toilet, I am afraid that a hand will reach up and grab me. I find it almost impossible to take a shower in the house alone. I also fear the "ankle grabber" under the bed or under a car!!

However, my worst irrational fear is poking my eyeball out. I can hardly hold a pair of scissors or knife without thinking "what if i reached to scratch my nose and punctured my eyeball?". Back in the days of thick black eyeliner and 3-4 coats of mascara I used to separate stuck eyelashes with a toothpick. I always had the fear of "what if someone bumped my elbow and I poked my eyeball out?" "what if I slipped and punctured my eyeball?" The fear is that I see my eyeball draining out jelly like stuff until empty, like a leaking Water balloon. Eyeballs dont even do that, do they? LOL, silly thing but I think of it any time I have something sharp in my hand.

Another one is driving under an overpass. I am afraid that a semi (never a car, always a semi) will choose that exact moment to crash over the edge and crush me. Maybe that fear is some twisted relationship to my fear of heights. Great thread, I dont feel alone in my craziness, lmao!!!

...Vampires...:) Very cool....

Not me! I have to make sure that my neck is totally covered at night when I go to bed. Any other part of my body can stick out, be uncovered, whatever, but if my neck is uncovered then the vampire can get me. :eek

Audra

Oh! I remembered another semi-phobia I have... the fuzzy TV station channels after the broadcasting day ends. I remember in highschool I would quick jump up and turn the TV off during the national anthem BEFORE the screen could go white and fuzzy... I think that was before I saw Poltergeist??? Regardless, I can't leave the channel on a "snow" channel... lol

the fuzzy TV station channels after the broadcasting day ends

Funny... I get the same freaky feeling when I hear this and change the channel REAL fast!

I remembered another one (if anyone cares).

Heights.

Sat night we were sitting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high in the coliseum (sp?) - SO high that I coud see the wooden planks under the padded ceiling. :nervous

Oooooh. Fears. My DH hates my fears. He says I am too crazy.

I am afraid to be in the bathroom while a toilet flushes. So when I go to the bathroom i stand up after, get my clothes all situated, open the door, stand as far away from the toilet as I can and still reach the lever, flush, then run out. When I was three my dad hid in the bathroom when I was going one time. When I flushed he jumped out at me from behind the shower curtain. Scared the bejeezus out of me. That bring up another fear. Shower curtains. I have to have clear curtains, or glass shower surrounds. I have to be able to see into the bathtub when I go into the bathroom. Or I just won't go. And that keeps me from going in public places. I have to be in a serious bad situation (about to piss my pants) before I will use a public restroom. I make DH crazy when midday on the weekend I will pack everyone up from where ever we are and go back home jsut to pee. LOL

Spiders. I am deathly afraid of spiders. When I was 2 I lived in Hawaii. I walked between two cars in a parking lot one morning, and a banana spider (look it up. they ain't pretty.) had built a web between the cars. He was sitting right in the middle of it. I got bit on the forehead and had an awful reaction to it. And I am afraid of spider webs too. Spider egg cases make me want to vomit. We were given a chance to go to australia for our honeymoon. I couldn't do it, and we had to cancel the trip and make last minute plans because of the spiders they have in austrlia. I have fainted three seperate occasions when, each time, a daddy long leg has gotten on me.

Things under the bed. Well, this fear is pretty much quelled, cause we keep our mattress flat on the floor. no space between the carpet and bospring. But the guest room and kids rooms are on stands, and I can't even sit on the bed.

I can't go into my pantry unless the light has been on in there for at least 5 minutes before I open the door. And I can't stand the pantry door being left open.

And I was attacked my a hammerhead shark when I was 11 snokeling with my dad. I can't go into live Water now because of it. It could be a pond, lake, ocean, doesn't matter. I even have a fear of large pools because of it. And I can't swim in a pool if it has a logo or something dark in the middle on the bottom. If I do get in the pool, I stick to the wall. LOL

Those are my irrational fears.

Amy

Needles. Not so much fear as anxiety. I was having blood drawn once as a kid and the needle broke while in my arm. Let me tell you - because the blood isn't going into the vial doesn't mean it doesn't keep free-flowing from your arm, and with some force, too. It looked like someone had been murdered in there, blood all over my arm, all over the phlebotomist, walls, table... blood has never bothered me, and pain does not bother me, but it's just the thought of the needle itself. Even smelling the isopropyl alchohol they swab you with before jabbing you is enough to get me on edge.

I don't like spiders. It's not a true phobia, but if I see one unexpectedly, up close and personal, I will scream. I can't even stand to kill them because I don't want to hear the crunch. If I have to kill a spider I will take drastic measures. Once when I was a kid there was a spider on my ceiling. I didn't want to wake my parents up, but I didn't want to lose track of it either, so I took a shoe and duct taped it to the end of a broom and tried to swat it. If there's one on the wall, even if it's tiny, I have to get like 10 paper towels to squish it because I have to make sure I won't feel it through the paper. Why do I dislike spiders so much? Well, let's see...

One time as a kid my parents and I were camping in the desert. I wanted to be outside of the tent. I woke up in the middle of the night because something was tickling my arm, which happened to be tucked right under my head. There was enough of a fire left that when I looked to see what it was... it was a tarantula, and I could clearly see all 8 eyes looking back at me, it was that close to my face.

Hmm, I wonder why else... once when I was a teenager, I guy I was dating told me to close my eyes and hold out my hand. I did, and felt something hairy & heavy in my hand, then felt it start to crawl up my arm. I freaked out and flung it at the wall. I never knew until then how much liquid spiders carry in the thorax, and how much like a Water balloon they act when they hit a wall at force.

Oh, and why else? When I was 18 I went to Central America for a few weeks. Spent half the trip living in the heart of the rainforest. We'd literally put tarps down on the forest floor and put our tarps on the tent. My best friend at the time was with me and we were sharing a tent. One night I felt something heavy on my chest, and thought she must have put her arm across me, so I tried to push her off. It took a few seconds to realize her arm was way too hairy, but a split second later it started moving its legs. Lo and behold, I had just been introduced to the Central American rainforest's "plate spider" -- aptly named because after the natives toss them into the fire to cook them, the spider's body STILL takes up an entire dinner plate. That was one of the moments where I swear I could fly. As soon as I realized what it was, I was on the other side of the forest patch. I mean - I had gotten out of the tent, flung off my shirt, and ran probably 50 yards in about 4 seconds.

They say the average American eats 8 spiders in their lifetime. Some from sleeping with our mouths open and one finds its way in, some from parts that are present in food, some from putting something in your mouth that has a spider on it... HEEBEE JEEBIES!