Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 7 post OP and not feeling much restriction or fullness tonight...

I posted earlier about my food yesterday and now I feel like I ate even more today. Tonight I kept waiting for that "full" feeling and I was surprised at how much I ate. For being only ONE week out, I wonder if I'm doing alright?

Today I had 1 cup of blended potato Soup, then about 1/2 cup of refriend Beans whipped up with a little sourcream and a pinch of cheese, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and another 1 cup of blended potato Soup. Then about a tsp. of Peanut Butter and a couple bites of runny oatmeal. About 3 bites. Why am I seeming to being able to get down so much? I'm not feeling sick from being overly full. I know I need more Protein, and need to add in Protein drinks. I need to get them tomorrow when I have a ride. (I had to have an incision instead of doing my surgery laproscopic so I can't drive yet). When I read that people are only eating a couple bites or 1/4 cup I feel like something is wrong with me since I can get in anywhere from 1/2 to 1 cup...esp. if it's soup. Just feeling a little down that I'm over doing something. :(

I posted earlier about my food yesterday and now I feel like I ate even more today. Tonight I kept waiting for that "full" feeling and I was surprised at how much I ate. For being only ONE week out, I wonder if I'm doing alright?

Today I had 1 cup of blended potato Soup, then about 1/2 cup of refriend Beans whipped up with a little sourcream and a pinch of cheese, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and another 1 cup of blended potato soup. Then about a tsp. of Peanut Butter and a couple bites of runny oatmeal. About 3 bites. Why am I seeming to being able to get down so much? I'm not feeling sick from being overly full. I know I need more Protein, and need to add in Protein drinks. I need to get them tomorrow when I have a ride. (I had to have an incision instead of doing my surgery laproscopic so I can't drive yet). When I read that people are only eating a couple bites or 1/4 cup I feel like something is wrong with me since I can get in anywhere from 1/2 to 1 cup...esp. if it's soup. Just feeling a little down that I'm over doing something. :(

You won't begin to feel restriction until you have several fills to put Fluid in your band. Basically, right now all you have is an empty band around your upper stomach, but it's not "turned on" yet. Talk to your surgeon about what to expect post-op. I was on a liquid diet for three weeks post-op. If you're eating all this food only a week out, you need to make sure it's what your doctor said to do.

Good luck!

Dave

I agree, but I also think you need to modify your choices of food. You are heavy into the carbs. Try to stick to Protein, and vegies and stay away for all those carbs. My Doc says no potatoes, bread or rice ever. This is a time for healing and you probably don't have any Fluid in your band. My Doc slightly filled my band during surgery but every Doc does it differently. Now is the time to learn to modify your choices and your portions. My Doc says ONLY 3 meals a day. It's hard but I try to stick to that rule. Like everyone says here the band is only a tool, we are responsible for how we choose to use it.

PS: I was on liquids for 2 weeks post op and mushies for 1 week. Check your Docs protocol to make sure you aren't progressing too fast.

Redhead Girl,

You probably don't have any Fluid in your band yet and won't have any restriction or get that "full" feeling....

I was banded June 20 and my doc leaves the band empty until my first post-op visit, which is July 18. Between now and then, I am in Bandster Hell.....where it will seem like I can eat anything and everything without problems and won't feel full....sounds like you are in the same place I am right now.

My doc's instructions were to make sure to weigh everything and only take a meal that is a total of 4 oz. right now....begin to take tiny bits and chew chew chew!!! I got up yesterday and drank 2 cups of Water and then about an hour later had scrambled eggs for Breakfast and ate it on a small plate and made myself wait 1 minute between bites and chew like crazy, and by the end of the eggs, I wasn't hungry for more!! Then after an hour, I drank another 1-2 cups Water. Now, I WANTED to eat Snacks and crap in between, but didn't!! My mind was playing tricks on me....I wasn't hungry but my brain told me I needed to eat.

I had to force myself to drink water each time I THOUGHT I was hungry. Are you drinking enough fluids? Try to drink as much water as possible to help fight off hunger. I also drink Decaf iced tea sweetened with sugar substitute, or crystal light if I'm craving something sweet....

Once you have proper restriction, you will be able to eat a lot less, but until then, you will seem like the bottomless pit!! I know I feel that way!! Do you still have your post-op diet paperwork? I still have mine both from the doctor and nutritionist and am trying to follow that as closely as possible to help my stomach heal. If you'd like to see what's on my plan I'd be happy to email you a copy to help you get on track. (message me here or send me an email, kittyforet@yahoo.com) That being said, I am NOT perfect!! I've made mistakes and probably do stuff wrong, but I am a work in progress and learning all of this takes baby steps!!

I too get caught up in that "but why can everyone else stop eating at a few bites?" mentality but I have to remember that they have SOME fill already while I have none....and I don't want to harm my recovery at the expense of following everyone else, even though it IS tempting!! Plus I paid cash for this little sucker in my stomach and I don't really want to see that go to waste!!! I too have slipped and eat more than I should AND things I know are no-no's, just to try it, just to be defiant and prove I'm in charge, but it didn't help me one bit!!

Once you get your Protein, if you buy the powder, you can always start adding that to your food/drinks and get it in that way....I bought unflavored and start adding about 1/4-1/2 scoop into my food (oatmeal, applesauce, soup) or into my drinks (wal-mart brand of strawberry banana light fruit and vegetable drink tastes pretty good, and you can't taste the Protein Powder in it!). If you like Carnation Instant Breakfast, you can drink that and add powdered skim milk to it to boost the Protein content without buying protein powder; you can also add Protein Powder to CIB if you wanted. What I do to make sure I get enough is to set aside 1 scoop per day and make sure I either make it into a Protein Drink or add a little protein to everything that enters my mouth so that by the end of the day, the scoop is all gone. That ensures that I get at least 20 grams with that one scoop. Sometimes trying to get all your protein in is kinda hard, but start small and it will get easier!

So, starting today, join me in trying to eat the right things, in the right amounts, knowing one day we WILL be eating smaller portions!!! WE CAN DO IT!!! biggrin.gif

kristi

Today I had 1 cup of blended potato Soup, then about 1/2 cup of refriend Beans whipped up with a little sourcream and a pinch of cheese, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and another 1 cup of blended potato soup. Then about a tsp. of Peanut Butter and a couple bites of runny oatmeal. About 3 bites. Why am I seeming to being able to get down so much? I'm not feeling sick from being overly full. I know I need more protein, and need to add in Protein Drinks. I need to get them tomorrow when I have a ride. (I had to have an incision instead of doing my surgery laproscopic so I can't drive yet). When I read that people are only eating a couple bites or 1/4 cup I feel like something is wrong with me since I can get in anywhere from 1/2 to 1 cup...esp. if it's soup. Just feeling a little down that I'm over doing something. :(

I had my first post op visit yesterday. I'm 9 days out. My surgeon asked if I was getting a full feeling and I told him yes that it was like an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. I asked if it was caused by the swelling and he said NO! YOU ARE FEELING RESTRICTION from your new EMPTY band. I think sometimes people on this forum stress fills a bit much. Of couse I could be screaming for a fill in another week. Do I feel hungry many times throughout the day ? YES. Do I have to practice self control? YES. Do I exercise every single day? YES, including surgery day. As successful people were stating on another thread stated;this journey is a great deal of HARD work! Please take what I have to say with a grain of salt. After all I'm a newbiie!! =>

smiley-signs149.gif

9 days out? I'm surprised you are permitted to exercise so soon after surgery. Generally the first six weeks after surgery are about healing. Exercise and weight loss come later. As for fills, once your swelling goes down and you have no restriction, you'll understand why they're important.

Dave

Redhead Girl,

You probably don't have any Fluid in your band yet and won't have any restriction or get that "full" feeling....

I was banded June 20 and my doc leaves the band empty until my first post-op visit, which is July 18. Between now and then, I am in Bandster Hell.....where it will seem like I can eat anything and everything without problems and won't feel full....sounds like you are in the same place I am right now.

My doc's instructions were to make sure to weigh everything and only take a meal that is a total of 4 oz. right now....begin to take tiny bits and chew chew chew!!! I got up yesterday and drank 2 cups of Water and then about an hour later had scrambled eggs for breakfast and ate it on a small plate and made myself wait 1 minute between bites and chew like crazy, and by the end of the eggs, I wasn't hungry for more!! Then after an hour, I drank another 1-2 cups Water. Now, I WANTED to eat Snacks and crap in between, but didn't!! My mind was playing tricks on me....I wasn't hungry but my brain told me I needed to eat.

I had to force myself to drink water each time I THOUGHT I was hungry. Are you drinking enough fluids? Try to drink as much water as possible to help fight off hunger. I also drink Decaf iced tea sweetened with sugar substitute, or crystal light if I'm craving something sweet....

Once you have proper restriction, you will be able to eat a lot less, but until then, you will seem like the bottomless pit!! I know I feel that way!! Do you still have your post-op diet paperwork? I still have mine both from the doctor and nutritionist and am trying to follow that as closely as possible to help my stomach heal. If you'd like to see what's on my plan I'd be happy to email you a copy to help you get on track. (message me here or send me an email, kittyforet@yahoo.com) That being said, I am NOT perfect!! I've made mistakes and probably do stuff wrong, but I am a work in progress and learning all of this takes baby steps!!

I too get caught up in that "but why can everyone else stop eating at a few bites?" mentality but I have to remember that they have SOME fill already while I have none....and I don't want to harm my recovery at the expense of following everyone else, even though it IS tempting!! Plus I paid cash for this little sucker in my stomach and I don't really want to see that go to waste!!! I too have slipped and eat more than I should AND things I know are no-no's, just to try it, just to be defiant and prove I'm in charge, but it didn't help me one bit!!

Once you get your Protein, if you buy the powder, you can always start adding that to your food/drinks and get it in that way....I bought unflavored and start adding about 1/4-1/2 scoop into my food (oatmeal, applesauce, soup) or into my drinks (wal-mart brand of strawberry banana light fruit and vegetable drink tastes pretty good, and you can't taste the Protein powder in it!). If you like Carnation Instant Breakfast, you can drink that and add powdered skim milk to it to boost the protein content without buying protein powder; you can also add protein powder to CIB if you wanted. What I do to make sure I get enough is to set aside 1 scoop per day and make sure I either make it into a Protein Drink or add a little protein to everything that enters my mouth so that by the end of the day, the scoop is all gone. That ensures that I get at least 20 grams with that one scoop. Sometimes trying to get all your protein in is kinda hard, but start small and it will get easier!

So, starting today, join me in trying to eat the right things, in the right amounts, knowing one day we WILL be eating smaller portions!!! WE CAN DO IT!!! biggrin.gif

kristi

Redhead Girl,

My doc's instructions were to make sure to weigh everything and only take a meal that is a total of 4 oz. right now....begin to take tiny bits and chew chew chew!!! I got up yesterday and drank 2 cups of Water and then about an hour later had scrambled eggs for breakfast and ate it on a small plate and made myself wait 1 minute between bites and chew like crazy, and by the end of the eggs, I wasn't hungry for more!! Then after an hour, I drank another 1-2 cups Water. Now, I WANTED to eat Snacks and crap in between, but didn't!! My mind was playing tricks on me....I wasn't hungry but my brain told me I needed to eat.

Once you get your Protein, if you buy the powder, you can always start adding that to your food/drinks and get it in that way....I bought unflavored and start adding about 1/4-1/2 scoop into my food (oatmeal, applesauce, soup) or into my drinks (wal-mart brand of strawberry banana light fruit and vegetable drink tastes pretty good, and you can't taste the Protein powder in it!). If you like Carnation Instant Breakfast, you can drink that and add powdered skim milk to it to boost the protein content without buying protein powder; you can also add protein powder to CIB if you wanted. What I do to make sure I get enough is to set aside 1 scoop per day and make sure I either make it into a protein drink or add a little protein to everything that enters my mouth so that by the end of the day, the scoop is all gone. That ensures that I get at least 20 grams with that one scoop. Sometimes trying to get all your protein in is kinda hard, but start small and it will get easier!

kristi

I was banded in Mexico so it's not easy to get ahold of my surgeon to ask questions. That is the downside of paying out of pocket and doing it for a low price. I do have my paperwork and on week two, starting at day 7 it listed that I can have blended creamy Soups, oatmeal, yogurt, etc... everything I ate yesterday was on my plan for week 2. I added Water to everything to make it all runny so it was very soupy consistency. After reading over my papers again it says that my band is made to hold about 1/2 cup of food. So I'm seeing right away that I need to make sure that I take in 1/2 cup at first and measure. I'm using a little baby bowl that is less than 1/4 of a cup big and I haven't measured anything so when I say I had 1 cup it's a guess. I did end up getting full or satisfied last night. The only form of Protein it says to add on this week is the Protein supplements which I have yet to go buy... =/ Today though!!!! YAY! All the other food choices to "eat" or slurp are all carby foods. I can't have eggs, or cottage cheese etc... yet. So I hope that explains atleast my food choices and why I am having the ones I am. The potato Soup is runny not smooth like mashed potatoes even. Infact during week 3 it says I can try and have baked potatos with no skin, rice, macaroni, noodles, rice cereals etc... Strange I thought.

Thankyou for all the posts and information. :)

I was banded 6/29 and I am also able to eat pretty well. Im not a morning eater so I had maybe 3 tb of funny oatmeal and a Protein Shake for breakfast. But for lunch I was able to eat a whole can of Tomato Soup blended with cheese. Although I'm not hungry anymore I know I will be in about three hours. I have no Fluid in my band so I know that's why.

I don't have Fluid in my band, I do know that. :) I'm unable to eat veggies and the only form of Protein I can eat right now is the powder or shakes which I am getting today. My food choices for this week are broth, creamy Soups, oatmeal, cream of wheat, skim milk, low-fat yogurt, whipped runny Beans (which I thought was the closest to protein) and fruit smoothies with no chunks..oh and Jello or popsicles.

I agree, but I also think you need to modify your choices of food. You are heavy into the carbs. Try to stick to Protein, and vegies and stay away for all those carbs. My Doc says no potatoes, bread or rice ever. This is a time for healing and you probably don't have any Fluid in your band. My Doc slightly filled my band during surgery but every Doc does it differently. Now is the time to learn to modify your choices and your portions. My Doc says ONLY 3 meals a day. It's hard but I try to stick to that rule. Like everyone says here the band is only a tool, we are responsible for how we choose to use it.

PS: I was on liquids for 2 weeks post op and mushies for 1 week. Check your Docs protocol to make sure you aren't progressing too fast.

I'm glad to hear that! I think it's easy to get in more than 1/2 cup of Soup, I'm seeing that I shouldn't be worried about that right now because if it's in the same consistency as Water it moves right through like Water, right? I'm still eating probably 500-600 calories or less the past 2 days. Which is WAY LESS than before surgery. I was just so worried that I should be feeling more restriction than I am. It's making more sense to me now. :)

I was banded 6/29 and I am also able to eat pretty well. Im not a morning eater so I had maybe 3 tb of funny oatmeal and a Protein shake for Breakfast. But for lunch I was able to eat a whole can of Tomato Soup blended with cheese. Although I'm not hungry anymore I know I will be in about three hours. I have no Fluid in my band so I know that's why.

I stick to 3 "meals" a day and even then I force myself to eat it over 20 minutes using a small spoon. So far I have been satisfied.

I think I have more swelling than you though b/c I drank half a cup of Fluid yesterday a little too fast and felt like it was coming up after a minute and my mouth got all watery. It was gross. That really helped me to slow down b/c I hate anything coming up!

Don't stress too much though, like others are saying, you are healing now and your band is empty. Maybe counting calories will help put you at ase until you get your first fill.

Early postOp we all have to consider what our surgeon tells us to do.

As we heal and our bodies turn towards "Now what?" along with our mental/emotional/rational sides, the very concept of "satisfied " is the most essential part of our postOp life.

Learning to notice that small quiet voice will give us a new wonderful experience. Prepare for becoming reacquainted with the old long lost friends of 'satiety' 'satisfied' and 'not hungry'.

I've been banded since 6/24. Initially, I felt full all the time--on day 4 or so, I even came close to throwing up after trying to drink a Protein Shake after drinking alot of Water. A few days later, I started STARVING. I felt like I wanted to eat up everything. Instead of going with the hunger, I still just drank my shakes like I was supposed to, and had some Jello here and there. Yesterday however, I ate half a bowl of cream of whea for lunch--and couldn't eat anymore. With my evening shake, the same thing happened. Today, I noticed that I could only drink about 5 oz. of a Protein shake before feeling like I was gonna burst. I don't know what has happened, but I think my band is already doing what it's supposed to do, even without a fill. I get to start pureed foods on Friday, but I think I'm going to stick with my Protein Shakes for breakfast and lunch, and then just have something else for dinner.< /p>