Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding The Lap Band Green Zone

I realize this is an old thread, however, something I have been wanting to know is how long did it take most people before they starting losing consitantly. I am 3 weeks post. I lost a pound a day in the first week and 10 during pre-opt. Then once mussy foods started and I healed my hunger increased. I am following the rules and eating 3/4 cup of food slowly. I just get hungry quickly. I am also logging my food daily and staying betweek 1000 - 1200 calories but I stopped losing weight. I know this is "banster hell" I would just like to know how long it lasts.

I see people post statements like - banded 6 months and down 70 lbs. I just wonder if the 70 (for example) was paced out or after hitting green zone.

Thanks.

Katy

Thanks for the GREAT information!!!

I've lost 82 pounds and mine was paced out as I was banded in December 21, 2010... Gradual as I got fills. My most recent fill to 5.5 cc dropped 17 pounds from February to May. It was the most substantial loss going into my second year from a size 24 to size 14... And now almost size 12. Inches are coming off now more so than weight because I an walking 3x week, Water aerobics one night, Pilates one night, and weights/cardio 3x week. I don't focus on scale so much anymore.

You are in the red zone - too tight. It is hurting to eat so you are choosing high cal sliders. These do not fill you up so you are hungry again soon afterwards. This also means that you are not losing weight. Also the time taken to eat a meal is too long and another indicator that you are too tight. Most Dr's recommend that you take 20min but not more than 30 to eat. After this your band has already started emptying so it is easy to fit more in and overeat.

Anyone want to help me what Zone I might be in? I'm confused.

1-discomfort when eating 75% of the time.

2-still hungry so choose wrong foods to eat to fill me up, ice cream, Snacks, etc.

this is where I get confused

3-only have spit up (sorry, gross) Water mucousy stuff once since banded in June AND

4-have only loss 28 lbs total since banded in June (start was 243 and now 215).

Seem to be stuck and not loosing any more weight!

I can eat but it takes me about 45 minutes to eat a meal. I feel hungry and I can eat but it takes me a long time and I think sometimes I might not be banded enough b/c of not loosing any more weight but it usually hurts to eat. So where am I???? I am still hungry after some meals so I will eat bad foods for me, ice cream or milk and Cookies. Being honest here. lol I definately couldn't imagine getting a fill since it hurts so much to eat now but I'm not loosing weight either.

Thanks and thanks for posting the chart Alex!

Alex something that might make an interesting article is how to maintain the loss after a couple of years. For many of us we find that the restriction we once had has to a large degree worn off and we are able to eat more than previously and foods that we could not eat previously. This is something that cannot necessarily be fixed with a fill as the Dr feels that we are correctly filled and further fills bring issues such as reflux. Also the initial motivation has dimmed somewhat as we are no longer in the honeymoon period. To track every mouthful for the rest of our lives is unrealistic - most of us got banded so that we could give up dieting.

Alex something that might make an interesting article is how to maintain the loss after a couple of years. For many of us we find that the restriction we once had has to a large degree worn off and we are able to eat more than previously and foods that we could not eat previously. This is something that cannot necessarily be fixed with a fill as the Dr feels that we are correctly filled and further fills bring issues such as reflux. Also the initial motivation has dimmed somewhat as we are no longer in the honeymoon period. To track every mouthful for the rest of our lives is unrealistic - most of us got banded so that we could give up dieting.

What a great suggestion. What are you doing to maintain besides having an optimal fill ? Personally for me, it's about working out and eating (mostly) the right food.

Still trying to get back to an optimal fill after a partial unfill after a horrendous stuck episode earlier this year. I try to make good food choices, my main issue is with getting hungry sooner than I should which is when my old bad snacking habits start creeping in.

I think it's an issue for quite a lot of us. There have been a couple of threads where others 3 years or so out have also been struggling. It seems that the restriction definitely does wear off to a certain extent.

Great article, Alex. Some possible topics for future articles would be:

• The importance of support on this journey
  • Discussing lapband surgery with others
  • Whether to tell or not tell

There is no green zone. I'm 2.5 years post surgery, and while the first year I never found the green zone, the second year and a half, even if I can eat during the day, I'm coughing until I throw up at night. There's no logic. Over time, it gets more and more useless. That is why there is only a year-long success rate. It's kind of a scam. I'm going at it on my own again with no Fluid in the band.

There is no green zone. I'm 2.5 years post surgery' date=' and while the first year I never found the green zone, the second year and a half, even if I can eat during the day, I'm coughing until I throw up at night. There's no logic. Over time, it gets more and more useless. That is why there is only a year-long success rate. It's kind of a scam. I'm going at it on my own again with no Fluid in the band.[/quote']

When was the last time you sat down and discussed these issues with your surgeon ? It sounds like you're not getting great advice. I can totally relate to your frustration! IMHO you should do something about this!

Where are you getting your one year success rate from ? I've had my lap band since 2003 with great success. Look around this site, there are many many others like me.

Alex, I can't believe I didn't come across this sooner! I am still able to eat rice and Pasta, and I have been twice denied now for a fill, because the P.A. @ my WL surgeon's office felt that since I wasn't really losing weight, I needed to learn to eat better. Which I agree with, but I'm NOT LOSING WEIGHT! It is all so very frustrating :-(

Just banded and I understand what the green zone is just ready to feel it out!

I love the charts.

Just to comment on this my nutritionist told me that Hair loss is a result of not getting enough protien. Aim for a minimum of 64 grams a day

Hello!! New here!! I am looking for answers, so I hope someone can help me. I have had 3 fills. Fill #1 was great, I felt restriction the first time around. It lasted for a week and then the restriction went away. So I had another fill. Fill # 2 was even better, more restriction, but it only lasted 9 days. So I had another fill. Fill # 3, I was sure would be my green zone fill at 6 cc's in my 10 cc band. The restriction was even greater and I had 100% signs of being in my green zone according to the chart above. BUT.... 2 WEEKS to the day after my fill, my restriction went away!! I am not restricted at all again. Why is this happening? I am worried my band is leaking. I know restriction can vary day to day or hour to hour... but it has been 2 days now, and I dont think my restriction will be coming back. I dont see my doc for another week. This mystery is driving me crazy and I have been doing so great. I dont want to fall off track and lose control of my portions. Is this normal for my restriction to subside like this. i though your fills last longer than a week or two. - Amber