Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was anyone else afraid to eat in the beginning?? I'm 4 1/2 wks out, had my first fill on thursday. Today has been my most solid food, I made a ground turkey burger and carrots. I chewed the hell out of everything, but I have a fear of getting stuck. Obviously no one is a fan of throwing up, but now I'm terrified. How long did it take you to get comfortable while eating? Or does it never??

I was wondering the same thing! Looking forward to hearing some responses. I know from watching a friend of mine that you must get used to it eventually because she didnt seem to be sitting there overfocusing. She had hers done 3 years ago. I guess our comfort levels are different. For me, I have a huge vomitting fear so I am really worried that I will cause slippage simply by preventing myself FROM vomiting.

Well I was a little concerned moving to solids; but since I did'nt get restriction for 6 months it was'nt really an issue.

Took me several weeks ... Fear is gone. But I am very couscous about any food I eat for the "first" time (post-banding).

I am still learning what I can and can not eat even with no fill. For example freshly made fish - no problems, but canned fish is a NO-NO for me.

As long as you practice the rules you should be fine. Dime sized bites and chew chew chew! I was banded 7/14/10 and I wasn't afraid of eating but I had to learn what I COULD eat. eggs and lettuce and bread and Pasta were all no no's for me... Tried to eat a raw baby carrot on Thanksgiving an dthe pain was indescribale. So I adjusted and stuck with meat and veggies only! It has worked well for me as of today I am 191 down from 273 on surgery day no pre-op diet for me...

Good luck on your journey!

I am just now starting on solids and like everyone so afraid of vomiting and getting stuck...I choice very carefully what to eat and CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW CHEW- I mean it is liguified before I swallow (which is what my doc said to do) I take very small bites - and watch the clock and take my time to give the swallow time to move down.Another thing I did to start was have something moist to add to the food I was trying ..such as ketchup to help moisten my first go with a new food.< /p>

I actually had porter house steak tonight and told my Hubby I was afraid to try it -- he gave me the tenderest part and said you have to start sometime and I am right here with the hot Water ready if you need it! So i went for it (i am a conavore and coiuld eat meat all day :P - I took teeny tiny bites and dada I ate about 2 oz~~~!!! Of course everyone is different and they say after you have a fill you may not be able to eat things you did prior --- Here is to all of us for no PB Vomit or SLIMING~~:lol:

Thanks for all of the responses! It's definietly something to get used to. They say it takes three weeks to pick up a habit right?? lol This is going to be a nervewracking 3 weeks for me.

I still am afraid of certain foods. I am more than a year out and have only had 2 sliming episodes. One was dry chicken and the other was rice. So now I just don't eat rice, not healthy anyway. bread is another hard one, I have to always take off a piece from a sandwich because it will get stuck, one piece with something on it is usually ok.

I got banded Feb 1st and have had 4 fills. I have all the restriction I need right now and am finding since this last fill I'm afraid to go out to eat. I'd rather stay home where I can eat with a baby spoon and take my time. Totally not how I felt pre-band! We'll get used to it! :)

Lots of good advice here. My 2 cents is, while of course you don't want to vomit, it's really not that bad. It's not heaving like when you have the flu. The food just sort of comes up gently, at least that's my experience. Best wishes.

I had surgery Thursday and threw up for two days because of the anesthesia and pain meds. I know I am not eating enough because I know how painful it was to throw up begging for zofran and still have two hours until you can take your next dose. I am feeling better every day but am light headed, probably because I am not eating near enough. I don't want to be afraid for the rest of my life :(

I am glad to know I'm not the only one. I am pretty scared of most things, and I'm super careful about every single thing I put in my mouth. Slowly though, it's turning more into just plain carefulness rather than fear; but we'll see how it goes when I'm moved up to real solid food. Fortunately, no stuck, sliming or nausea; so it's paying off! I'd love to see how things go for you as you progress. You're just a little over a week further along than me. I don't go in for my fill consultation until August though,

Was anyone else afraid to eat in the beginning?? I'm 4 1/2 wks out, had my first fill on thursday. Today has been my most solid food, I made a ground turkey burger and carrots. I chewed the hell out of everything, but I have a fear of getting stuck. Obviously no one is a fan of throwing up, but now I'm terrified. How long did it take you to get comfortable while eating? Or does it never??

I am 6 1/2 weeks out. I couldn't wait to get to the pureed stage of food, which I interpreted very liberally. I eat almost anything, so long as I chew the (censored) out of it. The only trouble I have had was when I ordered a quesadilla at a restaurant, and the tortilla was very crisp. I was hungry, so I tried to eat it too fast. It came back, and the remainder was painful. So, I learned a lesson. I suggest you eat what you want and remember to chew. If you do eat the wrong thing it is not a crisis, and it will pass, leaving a lesson behind. As to getting stuck, my worry is the large pills I take, but now I have a pil crusher.

Enjoy!!