Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded and full of questions

I was banded on 6/30/2011

My doctor is about worthless ( other than cutting me open and placing the band! )

I had only one day of the pre op diet ( liquid ). I stayed in the hospital over night then they let me go. My doctor said he would come by and explain things to me before he let me go. He said he would come about 4-5pm and he never shower. Finally the nurse came in at 8pm and gave up my Rx to fill just in case it was later before we could go. She gave me a paper that stated i could have liquids for 2 weeks. Here are a few ?s i have

1. My doc says no Protein shakes/drinks AT all. Do you agree? ( because i don't at all, nor does anyone i talked with )

2. Two weeks of broth & juice ( no milk,..ect )

3.Do you have the stitches removed or do they dissolve?

4. Should i be taking any Vitamins or something? I'm getting at most 500 cals a day.

5. What did you eat the first week, second week & then finally at a month?

6. Can you take Gas EX?

Please no * rude * comments. I am open to advice and comments

However- I cannot change docs due to my insurance, he is literally the only one in the state that i can see.

1. for how long? the first day and a half i pretty much stuck to small sips of Water and that was fine. but you should listen to your doc. your tummy is swollen and hurt-y and he probs knows what's best.

2. broth/juice/protein shakes.. yep. i wasnt to have milk either, although i've seen that some people drink it and are just fine.

3. i had to have some stitches removed because they started poking out about a month after surgery and it scared the poop out of me. but the nurse told me that sometimes they dissolve and sometimes they dont. having them removed didn't hurt at all.

4. chewable multi-Vitamins are the way to go. i try to have 3 a day along with natural supplements my hippie doctor gives me to take. i wouldnt recommend swallowing pills until a month or so out. (of course check with your docs office about that)

5. the first two weeks SUCK. all liquids. everything liquid. Soup is great. i got a hand blender and used it for lentil Soup. and i added Water to thin out split pea soup and that was great. i was told Tomato Soup would be too acidic and hurt my tummy, so i stayed away.

start of 3rd week i finally was on mushies.... lowfat cottage cheese is awesome and not as bad for you as eating a lot of mashed potatoes. mashed cauliflower (after cooked) is good... anything mushy. scrambled eggs are good. there are threads on here with lots of mushy ideas. i took advantage of of my slow-cooker during my mushies phase.

and after a month (i'm at a month and a half) i can pretty much eat whatever. dry chicken breast is basically off the table for me, as is any meat that's too dry. if you take little bites, getting things stuck is really not nearly as much of a nightmare as you might think it will be.

everyone is different! you will find what works for you through trial and error. i've found i don't lose weight if i do carbs so i try to stick with things high in Protein, veggies and some fruit. add lowfat cheeses to things for extra Protein.

6. take gas-x! it totally helps. they say the chewable is better than the strips. it has more... gassy...fighting...power... or something.

this was a long response. anyway. good luck! it gets infinitely easier once the pain is gone and a couple weeks have passed. :)

oh! duh. also. yes. my surgeon was and still is basically invisible. he didnt show his face before OR after the procedure and i still, a month and a half later, havent really talked to him. this, i hear, is pretty common. especially amongst highly sought after surgeons. Mine has a couple offices here in southern california (los Angeles area) and is always busy. but his staff is great and if/when i have questions i call them and they always get back to me right away, tho not the actual surgeon himself... hope that this ends up being the case with you.

ok, really. i'm done now.

I was banded on 6/30/2011

My doctor is about worthless ( other than cutting me open and placing the band! )

I had only one day of the pre op diet ( liquid ). I stayed in the hospital over night then they let me go. My doctor said he would come by and explain things to me before he let me go. He said he would come about 4-5pm and he never shower. Finally the nurse came in at 8pm and gave up my Rx to fill just in case it was later before we could go. She gave me a paper that stated i could have liquids for 2 weeks. Here are a few ?s i have

1. My doc says no Protein shakes/drinks AT all. Do you agree? ( because i don't at all, nor does anyone i talked with )

4. Should i be taking any Vitamins or something? I'm getting at most 500 cals a day.

6. Can you take Gas EX?

Please no * rude * comments. I am open to advice and comments

However- I cannot change docs due to my insurance, he is literally the only one in the state that i can see.

Everyone has different directions. So I think there is room for some adjustments.

1- 2. Some docs do liquids for 1 week post op and others longer. I would say you should have Protein minimum 60 g per day. so yes to milk and Protein shakes

3. Depends upon what type of sutures the surgeon used. Most these days are absorbable and will dissolve, however with that said he may have used some non-dissolvable ones on the outer portions of the incision. I would give his office a call. Others use no sutures, but a substance like derma-bond in which will dissolve on it's own.

4. Vitamins and minerals are usually started by the 2nd week, though here again different surgeons have different opinions. as long as they are chewable/liquid you should be fine.

5. The first week I was on liquids, Jello, broth, milk, Protein Shakes, Water. The second week mushies (eggs, cottage cheese, Beans,e tc...), third week started to re-introduce foods, i.e. tuna, chicken (2-3 ozs), fourth week added veggies (.5 cup to 1 cup)...etc... My surgeon's team reccommended: 60 g of carbs, 20 g of fat, 60-80 g of protein. Once again this will vary depending upon the bariatric team's protocols and what your body will respond to...

6. yes gas ex can at times be your friend.

Keep moving, walking as you can tolerate, try to get in at minimum 30 minutes/day to start with and remember you can break it up into sessions as you can tolerate. Find a site to journal you food and exercise and remember as you re-intorduce food your weight may slow or you may even gain a few pounds. Keep track of your measurements, sometimes when the scale is not moving your body's measurements are. For my myfitnesspal.com was the easiest to use, however, there are several other sites out there, so look and choose one that is right for you. There is no right or wrong way as long as it works for you.

Thank you guys so much. I think i am going to drink some pre-made Protein Shakes. I added up what i've had today and its about 200 calories. My doctor isn't apart of a "team". He just places the bands, he is a general surgeon. He does everything from banding to fixing hernias. I have been kind of playing this by ear. His office is closed till Tuesday so i am kind of out of luck.

Well congrats on the surgery and sorry that your doc isnt the best.

1. My doc says no Protein shakes/drinks AT all. Do you agree? ( because i don't at all, nor does anyone i talked with ) I was on Protein shakes made with Water then milk, Jello, broths, Water for 2 weeks after surgery with a goal of getting 60 grams of protein. I must admit toward the end of the 2 weeks I started with some yogurt, smooth Soups, cottage cheese.

3.Do you have the stitches removed or do they dissolve? I had the super glue to close me up. No issues. Could take a shower 1 day after surgery.

4. Should i be taking any Vitamins or something? I'm getting at most 500 cals a day. I was told not to start Vitamins until 2 weeks after surgery. LIke the above poster, must be chewable or liquid.< /span>

5. What did you eat the first week, second week & then finally at a month? See above for first 2 weeks, week 3 added soft Proteins like eggs, cheese, sliced lunch meat, tuna, Beans. Week 4 could add regular protein like nuts, chicken breast or steak (small bites and chew very, very carefully these are notorious for ) 2 months after surgery we can add carbs. Not because our stomachs cant take it, just because they want us to focus on protein.

6. Can you take Gas EX? Yes...My doctor also said I could start taking my other meds 1 day after surgery but to take 1 at a time with plenty of water. Any big pills had to be split or crushed (ask pharmacist or doctor before crushing cause some pills cant be)

Good luck on this exciting journey!

6. Can you take Gas EX?

The first week, 1.5 to 2 quarts of clear fluids each day. Caffeine free, non-alcoholic, non-carbonated. Second goal is Protein intake of 50 to 60 grams per day of liquid portein from sugar free low fat yogurt, Boot Glucose Control or Boost Diabetic, Carnation Instant Breafast 0 Sugar Added or Slim Fast High Protein

chewable Multi Vitamins were recommended, later added calcimun, B6 & B12, Biotin for my hair...it will break off after about 3 months.

Once they made sure I could keep Water down in the hospital I was allowed popcisles, then some broth that night. The next morning started the protein shakes. Surgery was Mon. and I strated mushies on Sun. for another week. I could have one meal of solids for 3 days to make sure I could tolorate it.

Gas was a BIG deal for me, Gax X instant disolve was my best friend. It woke me in the middle of night. I walked through the house every 30 min. or so to keep in moving. I was able to go out the day I was discharged and the next two nights.

My doc was really good about answering my questions, he is with a Center of Excellence and had done many of these. His PA is great and I was very happy with the care. Good Luck

I cannot use another doctor, due to insurance policy issues. Do you really think i would have " Let" him if i would have known my questions would not have been answered? Please take your negativity and attitude elsewhere.

I don't think she was trying to be negative to you, I think she was simply proud of her dr and just expressed that. That's what I noticed.

No negativity here, good luck on your journey.

I cannot use another doctor, due to insurance policy issues. Do you really think i would have " Let" him if i would have known my questions would not have been answered? Please take your negativity and attitude elsewhere.

I don't think she was trying to be negative to you, I think she was simply proud of her dr and just expressed that. That's what I noticed.

No negativity here, good luck on your journey.

There was another comment above... It was not to her... The one above was reported & Removed

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

Hi, Tuckersmommy! I hate it for you that your dr. isn't good with the aftercare!

This post-op diet is pretty much identical to the one my doctor is going to have me on--maybe this guide can help you! Lap Band Post-Op Diet meal plan

This one looks good, too: Lap Band Diet Guide

If I were you, I would choose one of these (probably the first one) and follow it.

Will this same doctor's office be doing your fills?

Hi, Tuckersmommy! I hate it for you that your dr. isn't good with the aftercare!

This post-op diet is pretty much identical to the one my doctor is going to have me on--maybe this guide can help you! Lap Band Post-Op Diet meal plan

This one looks good, too: Lap Band Diet Guide

If I were you, I would choose one of these (probably the first one) and follow it.

Will this same doctor's office be doing your fills?

Yes- After looking at what he does.. only 30% of it is lap band. So he doesn't do much.

1. My doc says no Protein shakes/drinks AT all. Do you agree? ( because i don't at all, nor does anyone i talked with ) I completely disagree, I was on Clear Liquids for about 2-3 days and then onto full liquids - which includes Protein Shakes.

2. Two weeks of broth & juice ( no milk,..ect ) I disagree completely with this as well - my Dr does not allow juice because it's full of sugar (even if it's all natural)...the carbs will lead to more hunger. HOWEVER, other dr's do allow juice and milk. I'm not allowed juice or milk (even soy) until I've lost 75% or more of my excess weight.

3.Do you have the stitches removed or do they dissolve? I had staples, so they were removed....some stitches will dissolve, I had to go visit my dr at 1 week post op which is when they were removed.

4. Should i be taking any Vitamins or something? I'm getting at most 500 cals a day. You should be taking vitamins every day, Forever. I personally think you should take a high quality bariatric Vitamin, I love the Bariatric Choice website, they have lots of vitamin choices and a variety of prices. Most of them are also chewable.

5. What did you eat the first week, second week & then finally at a month? I was on clear liquids the first few days, pureed for 3days-2weeks, mushies weeks 2-4 and then solids. I'm 6 weeks post op, had my first fill 2 weeks ago and doing quite well.

6. Can you take Gas EX? Yes...many will say gas-x helps with the gas pains, but it's not going to help with gas pains from the surgery. The air they put into you will not be released from the gas-x, that is released from activity. If you're literally having an upset stomache and gassy, then yes the gas-x will help and it is fine to take.

I am not going to be negative here. I do not have a band yet. I understand about your insurance and your choice of doctor. However if you are not pleased with the way you are being treated you should tell him and voice your concern you are the patient. Patients have rights.

Just for the asking... When do you go back to him, so you can have your questions written down like I did, and they were to be answered. And you bet they were.

This was the only way that I got answers.

I wish you luck on your plan to nail him to the cross.... He won't be expecting that.

Other then that, you can get your answers here, people will help if they know the answers.

Good Health To You, Shirley.