Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight

Hi I was banded on 6/20/2011 and started soft foods on 6/27/2011. My doctor doesn't make us do the mushy stage. Anyway, I haven't lost any weight since then, in fact I gained a little bit (like a pound). I still can't eat very much. I guess I am still swollen. Yesterday I had an egg for lunch, and a small piece of chicken parmesan (maybe 2 - 3 oz) for dinner. I also had a Protein Shake. I just don't know why I am not losing weight when I'm eating so little. Is this normal?

It's perfectly normal not to lose weight at this stage. Your body is directing all its energy towards healing from surgery, so you may even notice weight gain. Concentrate on your recovery right now, and don't worry about the scale. The weight loss will come!

Hi I was banded on 6/20/2011 and started soft foods on 6/27/2011. My doctor doesn't make us do the mushy stage. Anyway, I haven't lost any weight since then, in fact I gained a little bit (like a pound). I still can't eat very much. I guess I am still swollen. Yesterday I had an egg for lunch, and a small piece of chicken parmesan (maybe 2 - 3 oz) for dinner. I also had a Protein Shake. I just don't know why I am not losing weight when I'm eating so little. Is this normal?

hi a miller i was wondering the same thing.i had my surgery on the 22nd of june.i was loosing at firt and to nite i stepped on the scale and had gained 2lbs.im so upset.tomorrow i will join a gym cause i see just walking aint gonna get it.i also eat very lil but i guess right now it really doesnt matter cant wait to get my first fill 8-5-2011.good luck

Try to avoid the tempation of daily weighing it'll drive ya buggy. Once a week is enough due to normal Fluid retention or release the scale can bounce up and down 1-3 pounds day to day. Sounds like you have the diet thing under tight control and from what you describe it's way less than 1,000 calories which could leave you malnourished so I suggest that you discuss your diet with the doctor or his support team to be sure you are eating healthy and in the proper amounts. The goal is to reach a specific weight and maintain it so severe dieting could sabotage the ultimate goal. In my case the doctor has stated to not expect more than a 1 pound a week loss due to my age. That is dissappointing to me as I want instant slimness :) but I understand the slow weight loss can mean permanant change and perhaps lessen the saggy skin issues that rapid weight loss exacerbates.

You are just starting out so don't fret too much. Eat healthy foods and eat enough to satisfy and nourish your body while you lose. Use the expertese of the dietitian and the doctor to guide you through this first stage and set the goals for a safe and reasonable weight loss. Good luck...

This is 100% normal. You have fluids in you from surgery and swelling too. Your body is healing for the first 6 weeks. Do not expect any weight loss during this time. Once you start getting your fills you will be in the weight losing zone. I was also very disappointed with the lack of weight loss for eating so little-it;s been over a month and I still seem stalled, but I am hoping my 2nd fill in 2 weeks helps me get closer to the zone. Being banded requires a lot of patience, unlike gastric by-pass surgery this is a slower road to weight loss-which I think may be a healthier way. Good luck to you!

You are not alone...my weight loss stalled at 3 weeks after surgery and I lost nothing for 3-4 weeks. I was so frustrated. I felt that since I was barely eating anything compared to before that I should be dropping 5 pounds a week. I was eating about 800 calories a day. I ended up increasing my calories to 1000-1200 a day and now I am losing.

I'm right there with ya! I lost 10 lbs within the first 5 days and nothing since. I'm hoping my body gets the message soon and starts losing weight b/c its frustrating to be eating so little and seeing the same numbers.

I'm in the same boat, but glad to read on here that this might be normal. I was banded on June 23rd and have lost 9 pounds total and haven't lost anything else since getting off liquids... guess it might be time to up the exercise portion!

I'm right there with ya! I lost 10 lbs within the first 5 days and nothing since. I'm hoping my body gets the message soon and starts losing weight b/c its frustrating to be eating so little and seeing the same numbers.

I don't understand...how much weight loss are you expecting at this stage? You're only a couple weeks post surgery and you've already lost more than 15 pounds. To me, that's doing better than awesome.

I agree with Wheelchair, I think your weightloss is actually above average at this stage of the game. Don't worry too much, you're going to do just fine! Just do what your doctor says, exercise and focus on healing right now!! You're on the right track :)

I AM FRUSTRATED AS WELL! WEEK TWO-NO WEIGHT LOSS AT ALL GRRRRRR!!!!! I'M WORKING SOOOO HARD AND DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS ACCORDING TO MY DOCS PLAN.:angry:

you're doing great girlie! Dr's cywes and pinnar wont expect a drastic weight loss until you're getting filled. Stay off the carbs and don't worry. If anything, call jodi or ke'lani for some guidance. i'm @ nikkicavana@gmail.com on Facebook, i'm happy to be your buddy - we were banded only a week apart by the same practice! rolleyes.gif

I hear ye

2 and half weeks post op and down 10 lb ( including 1 well pre op diet). I thought I would have been down more but it just stalled when i started eati g mushy food. I am definately not eating as much as I was but I think I may not be eating enough and as from today I am tracking my foods. Roll on the fills!!!

I added you. You know its funny, I was originally scheduled for the 27th and then they told me they could do it a week sooner so I took that one lol.

you're doing great girlie! Dr's cywes and pinnar wont expect a drastic weight loss until you're getting filled. Stay off the carbs and don't worry. If anything, call jodi or ke'lani for some guidance. i'm @ nikkicavana@gmail.com on Facebook, i'm happy to be your buddy - we were banded only a week apart by the same practice! rolleyes.gif

I was in the same boat. I had my surgery 6/17, lost 11 lbs week before surgery and i lost 11 more lbs the week after surgery. Now only about 1-2 lbs loss since then. It is frustrating but I'm looking forward to my fill on 7/26 and exercising! Good Luck!