Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering if anyone is really eating 1/2 cup. My doctor wants me to eat 1/2 cup for each meal which he wants me to do 3 meals and no snacking.. I believe I have 2cc filled and I can eat more then 1/2 cup.... I dont know if I need to keep getting filled till I can only eat 1/2 cup... Am still losing weight with what I have now. So any input would be great. I know everyone all different. Am just really wanting to know if anyone really just eating the 1/2 cup... Thanks:)

I am post op 1 year and 1 day. I could eat way more than 1/2 cup up until 2 months ago (4th fill - 5.6cc). Now I am lucky if I get 1 cup in at a meal (which is what my dr's recommendations are. ) 1/2 cup is not much food. All dr's have different guidelines. But until you are at proper restriction you are probably going to be able to (and want/need to) eat more than that.

I was eating 1 1/2 - 2 cups of food until i reached my "sweet spot" Make good choices and you'll do fine. Make sure you are honest with your dr when you go for fills, let him know if you are hungry or eating more than he suggests. That will help him adjust your band properly.

Good Luck To You!!!

This half cup thing is a ridiculous myth. If you were truly eating 1/2 a cup and eating nutritious, low fat food, including vegetables, then you'd be eating about 300 calories a day. If all you can eat is 1/2 cup, you'll need to eat more than 3 times a day or you'll be rather malnourished in a few months time.

My total calories each day are 500-550 and yes I do eat about 1/2 cup each meal 3xs a day occasional snack of sugar free Jello or 100 calorie chees bites I also drink at least 64 iunces of liquid a day

This half cup thing is a ridiculous myth. If you were truly eating 1/2 a cup and eating nutritious, low fat food, including vegetables, then you'd be eating about 300 calories a day. If all you can eat is 1/2 cup, you'll need to eat more than 3 times a day or you'll be rather malnourished in a few months time.

My total calories each day are 500-550 and yes I do eat about 1/2 cup each meal 3xs a day occasional snack of sugar free Jello or 100 calorie chees bites I also drink at least 64 iunces of liquid a day

I think that's OK for someone who recently had surgery, but once you're back onto "normal" foods post-surgery that's just not enough calories in a day.

Liza, my doctor recommends 4 ounces of Protein, then up to a cup of veggies, then 1/2 cup of whole grains if I have room. I cannot imagine just eating 1/2 cup three times a day. I mean 4 oz. is 1/2 a cup... that right there would mean all you were eating was 12 ounces of Protein a day, TOTAL.

I don't recommend not following your doctor's advice, but... it seems like an impossible goal to me.

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGEEEEEE stop with the 1/2 cup non sense. Do you really think you can stay healthy on 500 calories forever. NO WAY. MY GOD PEOPLE YOU CAN NOT LIVE OFF A HALF CUP OF food. Do it and see how long it takes for you to end up in the emergency room mal nutritioned our bodies were meant to have 1200 calories or 1000 a day it nees fuel to burn. Your doctors are trying to starve you. You could have done that all by yourself. When you keel over from low blood sugar then tell me half a cup of food is enough three times a day and no Snacks.:blink:

I have to say I totally agree. This 1/2 cup business is nonsense. My nutrionist won't even talk about anything other than 1000-1200 calores per day. I have been continually loosing since pre-op by counting calories. Please people, use some common sense and realize our bodies need fuel to keep going. 1/2 cup may be fine RIGHT after surgery but 3 month or a yr. out it will cause malnutrition and Vitamin deficencies.

I'm a 1/2 cupper, been banded for 11 months. I still, faithfully, measure my meals with my little half cups and I'm full at a half cup. I do supplement with a 4oz Protein drink mid morning and a 4oz Protein Drink mid afternoon. Total calories are around 800 per day. Almost a year out, I've had no issue with nutrition. I go get my blood tested every 8 weeks, again, no issues.

Bottom line, you have to do what works for you. Honestly, I could not even imagine eating 1000-1200 calories a day.

I run 3-4 miles a day, 6 days a week. I take my Vitamins faithfully. Again, no issues. Not saying it will work for everyone, just like trying to eat 1000 calories won't work for everyone. None of our bodies are the same and none of us will respond the same way to the band and the diets we chose.

Good luck!

Here is the real trick. Eat your meal, are you full for 4 to 5 hours after? losing weight slowly each week? Exercise daily? No snacking........If you are doing all of this you are prob at your "sweet spot"

I can def eat more than half a cup, but I watch what I put in my mouth. And my self talk is "am I satisfied?" If so, I stop : )

You'll get there, it takes time....good luck

Fine if you're just out of surgery, not good at all for long term health. You absolutely cannot nourish yourself adequately on such a small intake and if you're also exercising at reasonable intensity (ie. more than just walking) its not enough. You will also probably find that you dont really lose weight much quicker than people who eat far more. And you'll lose a lot of muscle and less fat.

i am so glad everyone is a know it all on this site, i try to eat the 3... 4oz meals a day too.. do what makes since to you and don't put others down because what there nutritionist or doctor wants them to do.. i had surgery 1/27/2011 started at 314lb down around 107lbs and it works for me!! if we all knew what we were talking about we would not needed the surgery..just do what ur doc wants you to do!!

Jacqui is absolutely right. The human body simply isn't made to sustain itself on so few calories. It can survive for a while - while consuming muscle, thinning out bone (pulling calcium), and sure - burning fat, but muscle is so much more desirable when a body is starving.

1-2 cups of food (depending on the food) per meal is a reasonable meal. 1 cup of chili may be more than sufficient for a meal, but 3/4 c of vegetable Soup and 1.25 cups of salad may be more appropriate for another meal.

If I only ate 1.5 cups of food a day ... well, I'd be skinny all right. And committed for therapy.

If a 'healthy' person eats that little they're called anorexic. Even more so if they exercise regularly.

Unless you're eating 1.5 cups of animal fat = 2,773 calories.

1.5 cups of vegetable oil = 2,890 calories.

1.5 cups of nuts = 1,422 calories.

Then 1.5 cups of any other foods will fall well below 1,000 calories and 1,000 calories is the general set point for a moderately active person and putting the body into voluntary starvation.

I am eating 1/2 cup of everything, but I'm still on full liquid phase having been banded 6 days ago. It will be interesting to see what fills me up on mush foods, after fill, etc. I think the bottom line is that different things work for different people. No one should be preaching or judging here.....just sharing good positive information.

Just wondering if anyone is really eating 1/2 cup. My doctor wants me to eat 1/2 cup for each meal which he wants me to do 3 meals and no snacking.. I believe I have 2cc filled and I can eat more then 1/2 cup.... I dont know if I need to keep getting filled till I can only eat 1/2 cup... Am still losing weight with what I have now. So any input would be great. I know everyone all different. Am just really wanting to know if anyone really just eating the 1/2 cup... Thanks:)

i am so glad everyone is a know it all on this site, i try to eat the 3... 4oz meals a day too.. do what makes since to you and don't put others down because what there nutritionist or doctor wants them to do.. i had surgery 1/27/2011 started at 314lb down around 107lbs and it works for me!! if we all knew what we were talking about we would not needed the surgery..just do what ur doc wants you to do!!

[/quote

I am sure no one is trying to be a know it all. Most of us just try to offer support.

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Prescribed eating disorders are still eating disorders IMO. I personally did not want to trade one (binging) for another (excessive restriction). I think the 1/2 cup mandate is the source of a lot of the unnecessary struggles, and frankly, too tight bands that people have. By all means, if you can do it without trouble, I'm not about to say that one size fits all, but if you're losing like I am with more food, then there is no benefit and actual costs associated with striving to be satisfied and meet nutritional goals on 1/2 cup of food 3x a day.

I did 1/2 cup for awhile then realized it was entirely ridiculous and unhealthy. Nowadays I eat much more.