Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

According to my height and weight, I should weigh around 150. I'm currently sitting at around 300. Personally, I set my goal for 175. I really don't care about looking fantastic, I'm more concerned about being healthy. Don't get me wrong, I want to lose weight and attract attention for the right reasons, but I want to be healthy. Taking off 150 pounds is getting rid of another Amy! There are two of me now....but not for long!B)

How did you all decide what your goal weight was?

First BM was day 6 post op. I have been on liquids 3 weeks now. two pre op and one post op including 6 days clear. Probably different.

smiley-toilet11.gif

No BM here, either. I know after general anesthesia that it takes a few days to have one. I'm working really hard to stay hydrated, but I only pee a tablespoon if that, maybe every few hours. I switched from the Lortab liquid to the Tylenol liquid this afternoon. I think I'll take the Lortab before I go to bed so I can sleep better. All of this cat napping during the day will make overnight sleeping a bit of a challenge. I think my main complaint is that I just feel very weak. I got to take my first shower today, and barely had enough energy to get dressed and get out to the couch. My hands are shaky and I feel kind of confused sometimes. All in all....still doing ok. :)

The weakness you are experiencing sounds like dehydration. Are you getting your 64 ozs of Water in everyday? That was my main goal from my surgeon for this first week. Hope you start feeling stronger soon.

smiley-eatdrink005.gif

Hello everyone! I'm very new here and am so excited to be able to share and listen to everyones experiences, So this is my first post *pop*and I look forward to getting to chat and get to know all of you! I was banded on July 1st so everything is so new I'm excited to be starting my journey and new healthier life! Happy 4th of July weekend!

So only being 3 days into this, i'm not really sure how to read signs my body is giving me. My stomach makes loud growling noises and get that pain from before when my stomach growled when I was really hungry but I don't feel hunger. That's going to take getting used to. I also have pain from the tubes that went down my throat and lungs. I have gas pains and a constant lump feeling in my throat like when you have a giant desire to cry,don't know if that's from the surgery and tubes, or just a new feeling. Haven't had a bm yet but from what I have been reading it's probably from the liquid diet and liquid lortab pain meds. Been sleeping a lot and mostly on our couch recliner,I found laying in bed is fine but in the morning when I get out of bed the transition of position hurts a bit but I will try again tonight. I hope all of you fellow newly banded friends are doing well and I wish you all of the best,

As I've been reading everyone's goal weights, I've realized that I actually have three:

The first is my surgeon's goal for me. He'll consider my journey a success if I get down to 170-180.

The second is my "reasonable" goal: 150. At 5'6" and 40 years old, I think that would be just about right, and it puts me in the "normal" BMI range.

The third is my "dream weight" goal: 135. I haven't weighed that little since college and it would be fabulous to be that small again. But I'm not sure I believe it could happen. . .

Anyone else have a "dream weight" that part of you thinks is perhaps unreasonable/unattainable?

Hi everybody!! So glad to see that you're all recuperating well! I've had laproscopic surgery twice before and it sounds like many of the post op effects are similar, so I'm trying not to feel too nervous. I've only got 11 days to go, and it can't come fast enough for me!

Nechama, Here's how I figured out my goal weight. Not scientific, but it worked for me. I have a tall, strong frame. I am 5'7". When I graduated from high school I weighed 160, wore a size 8, and looked fabulous though I didn't know it at the time :) When I graduated college I weighed 180, and stayed there until getting married, at which point I weighed 200 and felt less than fabulous...numbers went up steadily from there. My goal is to get back down to 180. It puts me in the size 14/16 range which is good for my height and frame. I've lost 25 lbs preparing for sugary, which has put me exactly 100 lbs from my goal. Oh, and I am TOTALLY getting a Tummy Tuck once I've reached and maintained it!!

About 2 hours ago I started with the growling stomach thing, too. Felt the same lump in my throat as you described. Walking didn't seem to help much. I stopped taking the Lortab liquid this afternoon and switched over to Tylenol liquid. I think I just need a really good poop to make things better. I'm drinking a good amount...hopefully I feel better in the morning!!

So only being 3 days into this, i'm not really sure how to read signs my body is giving me. My stomach makes loud growling noises and get that pain from before when my stomach growled when I was really hungry but I don't feel hunger. That's going to take getting used to. I also have pain from the tubes that went down my throat and lungs. I have gas pains and a constant lump feeling in my throat like when you have a giant desire to cry,don't know if that's from the surgery and tubes, or just a new feeling. Haven't had a bm yet but from what I have been reading it's probably from the liquid diet and liquid lortab pain meds. Been sleeping a lot and mostly on our couch recliner,I found laying in bed is fine but in the morning when I get out of bed the transition of position hurts a bit but I will try again tonight. I hope all of you fellow newly banded friends are doing well and I wish you all of the best,

About 2 hours ago I started with the growling stomach thing, too. Felt the same lump in my throat as you described. Walking didn't seem to help much. I stopped taking the Lortab liquid this afternoon and switched over to Tylenol liquid. I think I just need a really good poop to make things better. I'm drinking a good amount...hopefully I feel better in the morning!!

Seriously me too! :) I hope you feel better and we get used to all these new lil things the band is bringing. Best of luck to u!

is liquid tylenol just children's tylenol? if so, how do we dose it? i want to have a bm so maybe i need to switch from the pain meds to tylenol as well...

I'm getting the growling thing than I get the lump in my throat. After speaking to my friend she told me that I'm probably hungry. I drank some Soup and felt better afterwards.

I met with my personal nutritionist last night and told her my goal is to be a size 8 and she said that is impossible. I dont know why, though I never was. I mean, I am 5'6" , medium build, so why the heck not? I asked her if it is because of my hips and she justs aid she didnt see it as realistic. I said listen, I dont think it will happen in a year but that is what I want. I didnt think it was my dream goal but maybe it is and maybe it isnt realistic :(

Adult Liquid Tylenol is what I have. Tastes equally as nasty as the Lortab liquid!! LOL. I haven't needed any pain meds for 7 hours, just the gas discomfort. I'm speeding up my pace a lot and walking much more quickly around the house. Still too hot to walk outside with the risk of dehydration (I think it is 110 degrees today). I'm noticing that I can't sit for too long or I get really gassy and bloated feeling. I'm burping a lot but still no poop. Hmm. I'll give that another day. It is SO good to talk to others that are in the same place as I am! :)

Amy

is liquid tylenol just children's tylenol? if so, how do we dose it? i want to have a bm so maybe i need to switch from the pain meds to tylenol as well...

Well folks, I found out what "full" feels like with the Lap Band. Yesterday around 3 pm I had my first liquid that wasn't Water or juice. I had 4 oz of milk plus 1/2 scoop of Protein drink. I didn't know it then, thought I was just gassy, but I was actually full.

This morning I drank two cups of Water (slowly and spaced out) and then drank a 4 oz shake. It took me 45 minutes to drink that because I kept feeling full and bloated. DUH!!!! I've just walked around the house in circles for 30 minutes, belching the entire time. Newsflash: 4 oz is too much. Learn from my mistake, guys, even though it is exciting to eat something new, there's nothing wrong with only one ounce. Trust me when I say this was a VERY uncomfortable experience. No sliming or anything, just felt like i ate a gigantic Thanksgiving meal. The pressure was so bad that I was walking around and moaning. NOT GOOD!!!

Listen to your tummy. It is says full after two sips, STOP. Don't assume it will get better. IT WILL NOT!!!

Happy Fourth of July All!

My surgery is coming up in 8 days! I was at the pharmacy the other day to pick up a prescription (not related to the surgery) and asked him about liquid meds. He said that I should call the surgeon and ask him what meds I will be taking so he can pre-order them so that they are ready for after the surgery. I called the surgery center and spoke with the nurse. She said that they don't give liquid meds. She said most people are fine with regular pills.

My question...for those of you recently banded...are any of you taking pills? Do you think I will be able to? I do take some meds that are in pill form that do not come in liquid form already so I guess I am going to have to try. It just looks like most of you are taking liquids and I am a bit concerned that the pills will get stuck. Any thoughts?

I am also getting quite nervous. Just within the last few days I have developed a real fear of having the band inside my body...like I am going to want to pull it out (weird I know). I have had a spinal fusion and an ankle fusion and sometimes I have a panic attack because of the titanium implants. I get the idea in my head that the metal doesn't belong in my body. Last time I had a cast on my ankle I went completely nuts, went to the ER and made them take the cast off. I think I have some kind of weird phobia. I just don't want to experience the panic attacks after the surgery. Ugh!

I am so happy to read all of the stories you have all written. It is helping me in so many ways. Thanks for all of the interesting posts!

I have four medications that aren't related to the surgery that I take daily. Yes, I can take some of them. My birth control pill is small enough and another one I can snap in half and wait 30 minutes in between. The other option is what I have to use for my nighttime sleepy meds, a pill crusher. It is nasty, let me tell you. I've sprinkled some crystal light on it, used a tiny bit of applesauce, etc...but it is gross, no sugar coating that. Some meds may come in liquid form, and I'd go for that if you can. My pill crusher was like $5 at Walmart. Once the weight starts coming off, I'm hoping not to be on any of these meds anymore (except Synthroid, which will be for life). Hope I helped!!

Happy Fourth of July All!

My surgery is coming up in 8 days! I was at the pharmacy the other day to pick up a prescription (not related to the surgery) and asked him about liquid meds. He said that I should call the surgeon and ask him what meds I will be taking so he can pre-order them so that they are ready for after the surgery. I called the surgery center and spoke with the nurse. She said that they don't give liquid meds. She said most people are fine with regular pills.

My question...for those of you recently banded...are any of you taking pills? Do you think I will be able to? I do take some meds that are in pill form that do not come in liquid form already so I guess I am going to have to try. It just looks like most of you are taking liquids and I am a bit concerned that the pills will get stuck. Any thoughts?

I am also getting quite nervous. Just within the last few days I have developed a real fear of having the band inside my body...like I am going to want to pull it out (weird I know). I have had a spinal fusion and an ankle fusion and sometimes I have a panic attack because of the titanium implants. I get the idea in my head that the metal doesn't belong in my body. Last time I had a cast on my ankle I went completely nuts, went to the ER and made them take the cast off. I think I have some kind of weird phobia. I just don't want to experience the panic attacks after the surgery. Ugh!

I am so happy to read all of the stories you have all written. It is helping me in so many ways. Thanks for all of the interesting posts!