Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Moving to U.K. in December

Hi all,

I am moving to the UK (Manchester, Sale area) in December and am worried about my band. My doc wants to unfill me completely before I move but I so don't know anything about the area or where to even go to have fills done. Anyone from that areaish who can help me out? I am very worried.

Thanks

I just did a google search and this was the first site that came up

.http://www.obesitysurgerycentre.com/

I would think that if you emailed them they would be able to offer you assistance. I am also sure that you have the time to research further prior to your move. With the internet finding info can be really easy. I am sure there is no need to get your band unfilled. The UK is quite advanced - it's not like your moving to deepest darkest africa !

Hi elcee,

Of course it's not deepest darkest Africa! Much to cold in the UK to be deepest darkest Africa.

If anything I believe that the UK is more advanced in banding than we are in the States at the moment. So I'm not worried about the quality of care I will receive just the differences in care.

I did use the internet and I too found that site but I was wondering if I could get some info on fills over there from one who's been thru/going thru them. I had read a post from someone in the UK doing their first fill and wanted it x-ray guided or something like that so it got me wondering because I've never heard of it before. Here, some physicians wont even fill you if you've been done by someone else so I am doing some prep work. One needs to be prepared you know.

My doc said she would want to unfill me because I may experience some difficulty at a higher elevation and they don't want me to have a crisis mid-air. I suffer from Anxiety disorder and she wants to make sure I'm comfortable. She didn't say I had to but it may be worthwhile for my peace of mind.

Thanks for the help though. I'd appreciate all that can be given.

Although most Dr's don't like to treat each others patients in a situation like yours where you are moving country I don't think they have much choice.

I am flying today from Melbourne , Aus to Jhb, South Africa. The trip is really long and horrible so I am hoping that my band won't cause problems. I have actually done the trip before approx 6 months after I got my band. I asked my Dr about the possibility of problems during the flight. I was told that if my band was empty or close to empty it could cause problems as the air in it could expand. She also said that so long as I had saline in the band it should be fine as saline cannot expand. So theoretically it is better to travel with a filled rather than an unfilled band. I was also told to be careful what I chose to eat and if I did get swelling not to worry too much as it should resolve once the plane was landed.

If your Dr believes an unfill is better you should do what your Dr says but from what i have been told the opposite is true.Obviously having the anxiety disorder adds an extra element to the situation. You are lucky that it is a much shorter flight.

Good luck with your move. I hope it all goes really well.

Hi WindyCityWids,

I don't understand why he'd want to completely unfill your band. Is it for the flight?? Or concern over finding a Dr to care for you.

I had my band done in London by The Hospital Group and I've had a few fills. Also, I do a healthy amount of long distance flying (3 times since banded, flights over 14 hours straight) and I've never "unfilled" to do it. Needless to say, I'm alot more cautious when I eat and drink during the flights.

If you'd like to chat more, please get in touch.

Cila

Hi all,

I am moving to the UK (Manchester, Sale area) in December and am worried about my band. My doc wants to unfill me completely before I move but I so don't know anything about the area or where to even go to have fills done. Anyone from that areaish who can help me out? I am very worried.

Thanks