Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting over

I cannot seem to get myself on track. I had lost nearly a hundred pounds with the band and was feeling and looking better than I had in years. I guess I thought I could cheat a little and that quickly spiraled out of control. I have gained 70 pounds back and have abandoned the band completely. I drink with meals to wash the food down and eat all the wrong foods. I get up every day intending to get back on track but always fail. I am really struggling and have to find a way to put things right. Any help/encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bob,

It's good that you are aware of the need to get back on track. I have fallen off the wagon myself at times. In my opinion, it would be best to start with something like The Five Day Pouch Test. Basically you go back to liquids then progress to pureed food, etc. I have done that a couple of times and it seems to get my mind back on track. There is something you can buy on that site but I have found enough info on there to do it without buying anything.

I hope that helps!

Becky <><

Go get a fill too. That's the greatness of the band. 5 day pouch test than a fill. You'll be back on track.

I know it can be easy to fall back into old habits quickly and they can get out of control. Maybe go to a support meeting, read your original guidelines and rules and start following them. Go to your doctor and weigh yourself daily or weekly to stay on track. I allow myself a five pound playground and if I see my weight start going up I stop it before it gets to the 4 lb. It is so much easier to control that amount of weight than the 115 I have lost hopefully for forever. I know when I weighed that much more I refused to look at the scale and I now know I have to in order to keep myself in check. I like my $100 designer jeans and don't want to grow out of them. Just put your mind back in the game and figure out what motivates you. Remind yourself how you probably felt healthier 70 lbs ago. You can do it, use your tool. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I did the pouch test and have been following the south beach diet since I was able to add food. My pouch is good I don't think I could handle a fill. I had a hard boiled egg and it was all my pouch could handle and I felt full for hours. I have dropped a few pounds already and am really feeling encouraged. I have a trip coming up in august and have set a goal to be under 250# by then. I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.

Thanks everyone. I did the pouch test and have been following the south beach diet since I was able to add food. My pouch is good I don't think I could handle a fill. I had a hard boiled egg and it was all my pouch could handle and I felt full for hours. I have dropped a few pounds already and am really feeling encouraged. I have a trip coming up in august and have set a goal to be under 250# by then. I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.

Good for you! I'm going to India at the end of the month and expect to lose weight! Not sure about what type of food I'll be eating or if I'll like it LOL. I figure India food in India is pretty different from here! Face it - Chinese food is different here than from China - LOL. But keep up the good work and don't forget......small goals and small meals! I only eat 3 meals a day and only give myself 15-20 min to eat it and no liquids 30 min before, none during and 1 hour after a meal!

OMG i am so sorry for your pain

good luck..........you can do this!!!

I cannot seem to get myself on track. I had lost nearly a hundred pounds with the band and was feeling and looking better than I had in years. I guess I thought I could cheat a little and that quickly spiraled out of control. I have gained 70 pounds back and have abandoned the band completely. I drink with meals to wash the food down and eat all the wrong foods. I get up every day intending to get back on track but always fail. I am really struggling and have to find a way to put things right. Any help/encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Banded Bob,

I am sort of in the same situation. I was banded in 2008, lost about 35 lbs, but eventually gained about 20 lbs back. This past week I re-focused. I reflected on what happened and decided to get back on the right path. This is what happened: I reverted back to my stress eating ways, I ignored my body signals of fullness, I neglected my support systems and focused on others and suspended my goals. I say suspended because I don't believe I gave up, but I got off track. I always intended to get back on track. Ok, now is the time.

The steps I took this week was going to my nutritionist first--she was great! Then I went to Dr. Averbach and got a small fill and he gave me wonderful reminders and advice. I am on a strict liquid diet for two days, then pureed foods for two days and gradually back to solid foods. I have appointments to see the nutritionist and surgeon in three weeks. So my supports are individualized and intense until I feel more stabilized, then I will do more groups. If anytime I feel like I am slipping back, I will get more individualized and intense support during those periods.

This is also my first day of participation in this forum and I plan to come here everyday or at least every other day for support.

The lapband works, we need to work with it!

weight.png

I had the surgery in 2007 and still haven't gotten anywhere near my goal. I started gaining an embarrassing amount of weight back that I'm not candid enough to discuss here. Bob, you are a brave soul! I'm with you and everyone else on using the 5 Day Pouch Test and I'm on Day 2, feeling upbeat and hoping for some good results ( already lost at least 1.5lbs in 1 day..its probably Water weight but so what! lol). This thread is super supportive. I hope to read good news from Banded Bob and everyone else.

Just remember - you did it before, you can do it again. I've been freaking reading how some of you gained weight back and trying to figure out how that happened.....then I noticed I had gained 4 pounds! YIKES! Before I could beat myself up too badly I realized that my hands and feet were swollen.....there was no way my rings (that fit perfectly 110 pounds ago) would be tight on me now! But.......I haven't been eating as well - so I'm back on the wagon!

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing - sometimes it's just what I need to keep me pointed in the right direction.

Down 12 pounds in 11 days. I encourage everyone to look in to south beach. It's tough until you get used to it then it gets easier. And the food you can eat is what bandsters are supposed to be eating anyway. The spinach quiche are very good. I am feeling more encouraged and motivated each day. Removing the carbs and sugars has given me renewed energy and I have started being more active again. For anyone else in my situation, don't give up, do the pouch test and try south beach. Get greedy for the compliments. I am looking forward to people telling me how thin I'm looking and asking me how much I've lost again.

Down 12 pounds in 11 days. I encourage everyone to look in to south beach. It's tough until you get used to it then it gets easier. And the food you can eat is what bandsters are supposed to be eating anyway. The spinach quiche are very good. I am feeling more encouraged and motivated each day. Removing the carbs and sugars has given me renewed energy and I have started being more active again. For anyone else in my situation, don't give up, do the pouch test and try south beach. Get greedy for the compliments. I am looking forward to people telling me how thin I'm looking and asking me how much I've lost again.

Bob, wishng you success getting back on track. If you need a guy's perspective or support, let me know. I'm happy to try and help.

Dave

OMG, Thats AMAZING BOB!! I did South beach around 8 or so years ago. I have the book somewhere. Hmmmmm. That's all Protein, a little fat and veggies right? If so I can try it again after the 5 day pouch test.

how encouraging, I have recently not been doing so well. I haven't gained weight but haven't lost any either....in over a month. So maybe the 5 day pouch test is what I need. I have a fill coming up on tuesday, so that wouldn't hurt either.