Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting frustrated!!!!

OK, so before i was banded i heard all kinds of stories on how wonderful the band is and it helps so much and if you over eat you will definately know it cause you will be puking. Well, I was banded May 17th and just had my first fill last Thursday. I have lost 4 pounds since surgery and walk walk walk all the time. I have NEVER felt painfully full and never puked!!! I had 5cc in my band from surgery and they put 2 more in so i now have 7cc in my 14cc band!!!! Sad thing is, i dont feel any different!!! I didnt think i would have to work so hard to restrict myself. Yes I undertand i still have to work hard at it but i feel like i am doing it all on my own. People tell me oh just wait til you eat this or eat that, it will come up. WELL, I HAVE YET TO HAVE THAT HAPPEN!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Did you want to be puking? Puking is so unhealthy for you and for your band, I can't imagine that puking would mean the band is working properly for you.

It's hard to restrict yourself but you have to do it. I haven't had any fill and have lost 75 pounds. I've eaten properly EVERY SINGLE DAY since surgery and am at the gym everyday. If I can do this - you can do this - I swear. I never imagined I would be able to do it but instead of looking at the band as something to make me lose the weight, I am looking at it as the thing that is going to keep the weight off. So this time, I have hope whereas before the band I was done trying.

I think you perhaps were hoping the band would work differently. Now that you know how it works for you - use it to your advantage. Get on track, track all your food and exercise. If you do that - a month from now, you WILL have lost weight. I promise.

Best wishes to you!

I'm in the same position as you are,so I totally understand your frustration. After reading so many stories I think I need to continue to work with my doctor to find the sweet spot with the right fill level. I need to get a fill level that will help me not be so physically hungry so that I can deal with my head hunger. We can't give up as we have just begun this journey. Many others have said that it takes time to get adjusted both physically and mentally to this new reality. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

Did you want to be puking? Puking is so unhealthy for you and for your band, I can't imagine that puking would mean the band is working properly for you.

It's hard to restrict yourself but you have to do it. I haven't had any fill and have lost 75 pounds. I've eaten properly EVERY SINGLE DAY since surgery and am at the gym everyday. If I can do this - you can do this - I swear. I never imagined I would be able to do it but instead of looking at the band as something to make me lose the weight, I am looking at it as the thing that is going to keep the weight off. So this time, I have hope whereas before the band I was done trying.

I think you perhaps were hoping the band would work differently. Now that you know how it works for you - use it to your advantage. Get on track, track all your food and exercise. If you do that - a month from now, you WILL have lost weight. I promise.

Best wishes to you!

This. Couldn't have said it better.

hi, just wanted to say you have to have patience. I am 1 year out now and it took me three fills, one unfill and one more fill to get to the point of really feeling the restriction. I have now had that for about 4 months and can honestly say I would rather be a little less filled. I have had a hard time learning how to eat or more precisely stop eating with this much fill. I was throwing up at least 4 times a week and now have not thrown up for about 3 weeks. So, watch out for what you wish for. by the way I have lost 65 pounds in a year and although that seems slow, I know if I hadn't had the surgery I would still be carrying those pounds!! I still need to lose 40 pounds but I feel so much better already and I know the rest will come off! Just realize as long as you're losing a little you're doing okay!

One more thing to Temeculajakes, would you have lost your 58 pounds without the band? If you could have why didn't you before you got banded?

The band isn't supposed to help you lose weight, it's supposed to help you feel satisfied after a smaller meal, and keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.

I'm not at that point yet, going for my 3rd fill this week. Yes, occasionally I get down because EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT WILL TAKE A FEW FILLS TO GET TO A GOOD POINT, it's still hard to be 2+ months out and not feeling any help from the band. But the truth is that even when the band gets to my "sweet spot", I am ultimately in control of what I put in my mouth. I can't blame the band if I choose to eat too much, or spend the day grazing on carbs and not concentrating on Protein. I know of PLENTY of bandsters who can eat just as much now as they did before surgery, because the band will never stop you from stuffing your face. food passes through the band quickly, it doesn't sit in your pouch and keep you full for hours.

Some bandsters feel full after a small meal- I mean FULL, stuffed, Thanksgiving full. But I think most bandsters just feel not hungry anymore/satisfied.

I DO understand the frustration of feeling like the band isn't working yet. Keep working at it. Odds are, once you get to a good fill level, you'll feel a difference. I'm sorry if you were misled before you had surgery.

I may be misinterpreting your message, but it sounds like you were expecting the band to be some type of stop sign so you'd know when to stop eating. There are definitely some people out there for whom it works that way, but I've seen others say they can eat as much as they want. I'm only a few days post-op so I have no idea what category I will fall in...my hope is that I will be able to eat what I want but only a small portion of it will satisfy me so I won't overeat.

I think you should talk to your surgeon and make sure he understands you're not feeling full. I don't believe you're supposed to feel stuffed after eating, but you at least shouldn't feel hungry again for several hours. And when you eat, it's on you to choose healthy foods in appropriate portions because you already know that in your case the band will not stop you. My advice would be to plan out some meals and Snacks in advance and follow that eating plan carefully and see what happens. Also, track everything you eat so you have an accurate picture of what your caloric intake is.

Really, my experience has been that once you have the right fill, there is no way you can overeat, but that is only when you reach your sweet spot. And that takes time, different of course for different people. But even before that you should be losing some weight. In my case before I reached that sweet spot I felt I was at a good place or where I would want to be for maintenance. My doctor would do fills every month if it wasn't right yet, so if you're not there yet just ask.

Best wishes to you!

My sentiments exactly!!

i understand your frustration. i was banded on may 20th, got my first fill june 17th and am starving after 2 hours. i'm going in for another fill on friday. i'm tryin to be patient with this, but it aint easy. HMPH and who said this was the easy way out! ha please!

I haven't read too many places that anyone said this was easy, but I know for me, it has been working and I've heard lots of people say it takes 2 years to get to your goal weight. I still find it amazing that I can go on vacation or a long weekend where I think I've been eating too much and not the right things and I don't gain any weight. What a blessing! So just hang in there and don't expect too much too soon! I really think a little at a time is much healthier anyway!!

The band isn't supposed to help you lose weight, it's supposed to help you feel satisfied after a smaller meal, and keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.

YES. This is what it's all about right here! We are the ones who make ourselves lose weight, the band just helps us eat less. YES YES YES!

Anyhoo, I'm sorry you're frustrated, I would talk to your doctor, maybe you need a bit more of a fill. I know that some people get several fills before they hit their sweet spot; also, how much do you exercise? Maybe your exercise routine needs to be changed up?

I am so glad for this post. I am recently banded June 6th and I have been trying to eat right. I initially had 3 cc's in my band but it was too tight with the swelling and causing me pain. I had to have the saline removed. My band is now empty. I have been going through hell trying to control myself n eat right. I managed to lose 17lbs preop and I already feel better. I an terrified to regain that weight back. I go for my first fill on July 6 I pray this works. I had this surgery to help save my life.