Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi - i had lapband surgery on Wed - i came home the same day and slept OK that night - with pain meds - but the last 2 nights have been hard - i can't seem to get comfortable - i usually sleep on my side, but then i cough and it hurts my tummy - when i sleep flat on my back i cough and it hurts my neck and shoulders - i do have some pain in my shoulders from gas i guess, and when i sleep it keeps me awake - i moved to just tylenol because i don't like the vicodin - i have some congestion in my nose and chest so i sleep better sitting up - but only for a few hours at a time - i'm coughing up a lot of phlem - should i do more with the breathing exercise? so night seems to last forever and i don't feel rested. I was hoping to go back to work on Mon but i have to have my sleep - any other suggestions out there???

Take the vicodin at night. It will help you sleep. Are you holding a pillow against your stomach when you cough? That will help give you support and lessen the pain. Does the tylenol handle your pain level? If not, call your surgeon and ask for something different than the vicodin. Is it jus the narcotic "high" you don't like or something else? There might be alternatives that are stronger than tylenlol.

When I was banded I caught a cold around the time I was in the hospital, it was no fun being congested and coughing. I took one week off and tried to return the second. Ended up doing half-time the second week. I am fortunate that I have a great boss who told me to work what I could work.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

I was banded on 6/8 and for the first 8 night I could not sleep in my bed. I am a stomach / side sleeper but obviously those position were out of the question. I slept on the couch propped up with pillows for those 8 nights. A few days after surgery I was able to lay slightly on my side on the couch with my back propped up against the back of the couch. 11 days post-op now and I am definitely more comfortable laying in my bed and on my side.

It does get easier!! Good Luck !!

If you have a Recliner sleep in that, you will find a comfortable position. Also a couple pillows where ever you want to put them. Use one for the coughing, hold it firm against the incision. Also YES,,, do your breathing exercises.

I'm 10 days post op and I'm still using the breathing exercise, so I think you should and it will help with your congestion. Also I used a heating pad and it really helped with my back pain. I also have to use a pillow under my stomach when I sleep on my side. I hope everything gets better for you, I think when your cold goes away it will help everything. Good Luck!laugh.gif

thanks all - i'm sleeping better now - 3 days post op i took 2 tylenol PM - i used to be able to do this - i took it around 10:30 - i slept like the dead - it was kind of scary when i got up to go to the bathroom - and i had a drug hangover till noon the next day - so next night i took 1 - much better but still hangover - guess i'm a cheap date !!! since i had to go to work the next day no more tylenol PM !!! congestion just would not go away - so i took some musinex last night and all day today - aaaaah sweet relief ... Now its the weekend so i can sleep in !!!! im doing very good - hope you all are too

thanks

When is it safe to sleep on your side?

weight.png

I slept in a recliner the first week. Then I moved to the bed.

Everyone heels different too so,,, it's kinda like hit & miss.

You will know though, just keep trying.

I could sleep on my right side after about four days; and but it took almost a week and a half to be able to sleep on my left side; I got banded on the 8th and I can sleep any ol' way I want to now. I took Shirley54's advice the first few days and slept in the recliner; it really helped!

Glad to hear it did.