Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time to transition to solid foods.

So, I have been anxious to have solid foods. I didn't realize until a few minutes that today starts the phase my doctor says is a transition to solid foods. She says begin slowly as tolerated. I thought maybe soft sweet potatoes. Do you think meat loaf would be okay? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.

Meatloaf would be fine. I don't know what you were eating prior to this, but if you were only eating mushies then I would start with softer meat...fish, shrimp, meatloaf, hamburgers before moving up to chicken, pork, steak, etc. Make sure the meat is moist and keep your bites small, chew very well before swallowing and eat slowly. If you feel any discomfort, wait a bit for it to pass and try again with a smaller bite (some people choose to use baby utensils to make sure their bite sizes are small enough) I'm sure you will be fine.

So, I have been anxious to have solid foods. I didn't realize until a few minutes that today starts the phase my doctor says is a transition to solid foods. She says begin slowly as tolerated. I thought maybe soft sweet potatoes. Do you think meat loaf would be okay? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.

Hi, Weesie,

My dr allowed me to add solid food in week 2. In week 2, I got to eat 2 whole ounces (!) of real food, 3 times a day, supplimented by liquid Protein the rest of the day. Week 3 has been 3 oz. per meal, and week 4 will be 4 oz. per meal.

It seems like so little, but it's great training to take small bites, putting your fork down after each bite, and picking your food choices wisely! Stuff you like that is high Protein, and that is pretty substantial, so it takes longer to chew and savor! After a week of 2 oz. meals, 3 oz. seems like so normal a portion!

Sweet potatos and meatloaf sound fine (thanks for the suggestions!). Just remember to chew LOTS before swallowing.

Not sure I'm the best role model, but my 2 and 3 oz meals include

tuna salad with small crackers (remember small bites and chew at least 25 times before swallowing!),

a 2 or 3 oz piece of fish and about 2 or 3 Tbs. of baked potato (without skin, using low fat sour cream and spray "Can't Believe It's Not Butter"),

3 oz of thick homemade bean Soup (kidney, pinto and black Beans, onion, celery, diced tomatoes and seasoning, ground turkey and lean ground beef), ...freezes well in individual containers

boca burger (veggie burger),

and this yummy low-cal/high protein quiche I make. I'll send you that recipe if you want-- I make it in a 9x11 pan, and cut it into individual servings and free them, keeping one in the fridge at a time for easy access to warm. Each 3 oz serving is only 70 cal. and it's 9 grams protein.

I also make high protein pudding that is 20-25 grams protein per 3 oz serving (depending on how much Protein powder you put in)! I just get sugar free instant pudding and mix it with 2 cups non fat milk and 3 or 4 scoops unflavored Protein Powder. shake well and refrigerate for a least a few hours. I also do a similar dessert with unsweetened koolade and freeze those. I have one of my puddings or "dreamcycles" every night....I don't count that in my meals! I choose to count it as part of my protein liquids! But I'm still losing...an average of about a 1/2 lb a day...so it's working for me.

The first week of real food was so scary! I was so afraid I would blow it and eat more. But with all the protein every day (my dr. says 60-80 per day and I usually hit 80), I have yet to be hungry. And I look at my "meals" as tasty suppliments to my secure/no-chance-of-cheating protein drinks!

Super good luck to you! What a great decision we have made for ourselves!

Yes, I would appreciate the recipes. Thank you. Not feeling well now. I ate half a personal size quiche (minus the crust) and a few ounces of lowfat Tomato basil Soup. I got them at Le Madeline. I now am hurting bad. Maybe gas pains.

Hi, Weesie,

My dr allowed me to add solid food in week 2. In week 2, I got to eat 2 whole ounces (!) of real food, 3 times a day, supplimented by liquid Protein the rest of the day. Week 3 has been 3 oz. per meal, and week 4 will be 4 oz. per meal.

It seems like so little, but it's great training to take small bites, putting your fork down after each bite, and picking your food choices wisely! Stuff you like that is high Protein, and that is pretty substantial, so it takes longer to chew and savor! After a week of 2 oz. meals, 3 oz. seems like so normal a portion!

Sweet potatos and meatloaf sound fine (thanks for the suggestions!). Just remember to chew LOTS before swallowing.

tuna salad with small crackers (remember small bites and chew at least 25 times before swallowing!),

a 2 or 3 oz piece of fish and about 2 or 3 Tbs. of baked potato (without skin, using low fat sour cream and spray "Can't Believe It's Not Butter"),

3 oz of thick homemade bean soup (kidney, pinto and black Beans, onion, celery, diced tomatoes and seasoning, ground turkey and lean ground beef), ...freezes well in individual containers

and this yummy low-cal/high protein quiche I make. I'll send you that recipe if you want-- I make it in a 9x11 pan, and cut it into individual servings and free them, keeping one in the fridge at a time for easy access to warm. Each 3 oz serving is only 70 cal. and it's 9 grams protein.

I also make high protein pudding that is 20-25 grams protein per 3 oz serving (depending on how much protein powder you put in)! I just get sugar free instant pudding and mix it with 2 cups non fat milk and 3 or 4 scoops unflavored protein powder. shake well and refrigerate for a least a few hours. I also do a similar dessert with unsweetened koolade and freeze those. I have one of my puddings or "dreamcycles" every night....I don't count that in my meals! I choose to count it as part of my protein liquids! But I'm still losing...an average of about a 1/2 lb a day...so it's working for me.

The first week of real food was so scary! I was so afraid I would blow it and eat more. But with all the protein every day (my dr. says 60-80 per day and I usually hit 80), I have yet to be hungry. And I look at my "meals" as tasty suppliments to my secure/no-chance-of-cheating protein drinks!

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well Weesie. But don't worry that will pass. I'm also supposed to transition to solids today but i've basically been on solids just chewing my food extremely well. Till it was basically mushees which I wouldn't recommend, but its just something I did. I don't do too well with pureed food. The whole "visual" thing put me off. But that gas will pass. ;)

Hope you're feeling better now.

Tomato Soup can be very acidic and can cause some stomach upset. The quiche may have something in it that didnt agree with your tummy.

When transitioning to solids start with "soft proteins" simple things like plain scrambled eggs, or sliced turkey lunch meat, or a slice of cheese. tuna with some mayo or some cottage cheese. After a couple a weeks of that then you can add in some cooked veggies. If they give you a problem, then wait another couple of weeks before trying them again.

At the beginning I would try to stay away from overly processed food and restaurant food. There are too many unknowns. Keep it simple.

Oldiebutgoodie2...

Would you mind sending me a copy of your recipes?? They all sound good!!! kittyforet@yahoo.com

thanks!

kristi

Hi, Weesie,

3 oz of thick homemade bean Soup (kidney, pinto and black Beans, onion, celery, diced tomatoes and seasoning, ground turkey and lean ground beef), ...freezes well in individual containers

I also make high protein pudding that is 20-25 grams protein per 3 oz serving (depending on how much protein powder you put in)! I just get sugar free instant pudding and mix it with 2 cups non fat milk and 3 or 4 scoops unflavored protein powder. shake well and refrigerate for a least a few hours. I also do a similar dessert with unsweetened koolade and freeze those. I have one of my puddings or "dreamcycles" every night....I don't count that in my meals! I choose to count it as part of my protein liquids! But I'm still losing...an average of about a 1/2 lb a day...so it's working for me.

In early soft food phase the blender is your friend....and do NOT take "bites".....take "nibbles" and put down your spoon between each delightful taste. Learn to savor the flavor. Learn to gauge the important nuances between "AM hungry" and "WAS hungry". It doesn't take more than a spoon or 2, it is a very delicate balance. If you learn this early on, you will not get the "too full" sensation. Learn the "just enough" spot and it will serve you well.

Oldiebutgoodie2...

Would you mind sending me a copy of your recipes?? They all sound good!!! kittyforet@yahoo.com

thanks!

kristi

OK, the super yummy quiche (Chili Egg Puff) recipe, the skinnied down way (but "normal" people still love!):

Ingredients:

2 1/2 C egg beaters

1/2 C flour

16 oz. fat free cottage cheese

1/2 C liquid "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter" (or similar)

8 oz. fat free grated cheese of your choice

8 oz. reduced fat grated cheese of your choice

7 oz. diced green chilis

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients except the chilis.. Blend in the chilis. Pour mixture into 9x11 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until center is firm and the top is lightly browned.

I divide this into 12 pieces. Based on 12 pieces, each piece is 142 calories, and 18 grams Protein.

But as you will see, these pieces are pretty big. So I'm eating a half a piece as my meal, which equals about 3 oz..

They "keep" great frozen individually in baggies, keeping one piece in the fridge pretty regularly for easy microwave heat-up.

p.s. for variety, you could add sauteed mushrooms and/or little pieces of ham to the mix.