Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Examples of Meals/portion size

I know there are similar threads like this already posted, but as I'm starting on regular food again in 2 days, I'm looking for some in put on what my eating should be like. I'm curious to hear what your meals are like...what they often consist of, how often you eat them and portion size. Also, do you focus more on calorie count, sugar or Protein...if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

Did you see this thread? A few people posted what they eat in a day... http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/131562-can-someone-please-help-i-need-some-support-from-so-many-successors/

It's different for everybody really. As long as you watch your calorie intake you should be good. The band isn't gonna do that work for you. You have to control how much you eat, and make sure it's healthy and Protein rich.

I will say this, the 1/4 cup of food thing is a total myth lol, maybe for the first couple of weeks. But over all you eat more than that, It's about 1-2 cups of food per meal. (everyones body likes different things)

Hi:

I was told that I should eat my food on a "saucer", the one that your cup sits on, you know cup and saucer. Not even a salad plate. That is how I am to gauge my food. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but that is what I am going to do. Gonna to try and be obedient as I know that is the only way this thing is going to work.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

It's really helpful!

i was told everything should fit in a half of a cup- which is equivalent to like 2-3oz of salmon, a piece or 2 of broccoli, and a tbs of brown rice (just an example). Not that far yet so not sure how that works as far as how hungry you get, but ill give it a shot!

A quarter cup or half cup is too small for a meal.

As Heather said, expect to eat between 1-2 cups of food per meal depending what you're eating. Pasta may only be 1 cup; fish, veggies, and rice may be 1.5 cups; and Soup may be 2 cups.

Expecting to only eat 1/4-1/2 cup of food per meal is ridiculous.

Here's something to think about - I have an overweight cat and she only gets 1/2 c food per day (~150 calories) and she's 14 lbs.

If you're 250 lbs, 1/2 c food, three times a day is around 450 calories (if you're eating healthy foods). That's starvation.

Whereas 3-6 cups of food a day is approximately 900-1,800 calories a day (depending what you eat). You'll notice that some days you can eat more, some days less. It should all even out to between 1,200-1,500 / day over the week or month and 0.75-1.5 c of food a day will not get you there.

There are days when I can't eat Breakfast or lunch, but can drink some Protein. I don't "make up" for it at dinner, instead I eat a small meal at dinner because the band just won't accommodate more. Then there are days I feel like I am eating like I did before the band, when in reality I'm eating around 1,500 calories those days. Ultimately it evens out.

I have wondered the same thing. When I went for my fill she again went over the plate size portions for meals. It amazes me that, that is all I am suppose to eat. I am almost 2 mos post op. I eat a fiber/protien bar for Breakfast. Lunch/dinner ( I work weird hours) I eat a Boca buger with a Just for one brocoli and cheese. I also do a lot of stuffing weird things in to a 1/2 of a pita bread. I have eaten a 6 inch veggie sandwich on flat bread from Subway. I honestly am not sure when I get "full" I decided as soon as I feel anything in my stomach I will take 3 more bites and be done. Then I grab a piece of gum and chew it for the next hour so I dont drink. That is my down fall. I love to drink with my food.

I hope this helps.

Not sure what your fill situation is yet but I suspect you are not at your sweet spot. Thats fine for now as it can take a while to get there. One of my docs said if your band is half full or less, its like not having a band. Anyway I am at my sweet spot and a bAR FOR BREAKFAST WOULD CAUSE ME INTENSE PAIN. I AM TIGHTER IN THE MORNING AS I THINK MOST OF US ARE (MY WEDDING RING IS SNUG IN THE MORNING AND THEN VERY LOOSE AT NIGHT) sorry for the caps, I m not a good typist! Anyway I like my band pretty tight so I really can only have liquids in the morning and then the rest of the day I have to be careful and thoughtful. I can eat about a half a cup or maybe 3/4 at a meal and I focus on Protein (I think its better to think of what you must eat instead of what you shouldnt!) I love a Boca but can usually only eat about 3/4 of it. Even at midnight I can never eat a 6 inch sub...I think I could eat and inch or two of it. I lose about a pound a week when my band is how it is now.

If I could eat two cups of food as some people said above, I would not lose weight and would want a fill. Good luck, this is a long (forever?) process!!

I have wondered the same thing. When I went for my fill she again went over the plate size portions for meals. It amazes me that, that is all I am suppose to eat. I am almost 2 mos post op. I eat a fiber/protien bar for breakfast. Lunch/dinner ( I work weird hours) I eat a Boca buger with a Just for one brocoli and cheese. I also do a lot of stuffing weird things in to a 1/2 of a pita bread. I have eaten a 6 inch veggie sandwich on flat bread from Subway. I honestly am not sure when I get "full" I decided as soon as I feel anything in my stomach I will take 3 more bites and be done. Then I grab a piece of gum and chew it for the next hour so I dont drink. That is my down fall. I love to drink with my food.

I hope this helps.

Oh, and I do have some cute glass 1 cup bowls I use and some cocktail silverware!

Hi:

I was told that I should eat my food on a "saucer", the one that your cup sits on, you know cup and saucer. Not even a salad plate. That is how I am to gauge my food. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but that is what I am going to do. Gonna to try and be obedient as I know that is the only way this thing is going to work.

Karon - wow, that is some awesome weight loss on your pre-op diet !! Weight to go (away), girl !

I agree - I am 3 weeks post op and following my docs rule to the letter- I eat ona small plate -small bites chew chew chew and eat "good foods" The max I can eat in the 20-30 minutes is about 1/2 -3/4 cup and I am very satisfied - (I go for my first fill July 19th) I do ignore the Head hunger and do not want to Slime or Vomit so I am very careful with amounts etc. My doc never said I COULD NOT EAT MORE he just reccomends the amount that should satisy me and banders- What I chose to do is up to me ...So far docs rules have worked :)

Not sure what your fill situation is yet but I suspect you are not at your sweet spot. Thats fine for now as it can take a while to get there. One of my docs said if your band is half full or less, its like not having a band. Anyway I am at my sweet spot and a bAR FOR Breakfast WOULD CAUSE ME INTENSE PAIN. I AM TIGHTER IN THE MORNING AS I THINK MOST OF US ARE (MY WEDDING RING IS SNUG IN THE MORNING AND THEN VERY LOOSE AT NIGHT) sorry for the caps, I m not a good typist! Anyway I like my band pretty tight so I really can only have liquids in the morning and then the rest of the day I have to be careful and thoughtful. I can eat about a half a cup or maybe 3/4 at a meal and I focus on Protein (I think its better to think of what you must eat instead of what you shouldnt!) I love a Boca but can usually only eat about 3/4 of it. Even at midnight I can never eat a 6 inch sub...I think I could eat and inch or two of it. I lose about a pound a week when my band is how it is now.

If I could eat two cups of food as some people said above, I would not lose weight and would want a fill. Good luck, this is a long (forever?) process!!