Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deflated look

Anyone feel like once the lost the weight they looked deflated ?!?! I am wanting to get surgery but I'm worried about that .... I guess losing the weight and everything just hanging :(

my thinking is that I would want to be thinner and healthier and maybe a little saggie, than fat and unhealthy. I am pretty sure most everyone will look better thinner no matter what sags ;)

Honestly, I associate that look much more with people who had bypass and lost a ton of weight super quickly. It's almost like their skin doesn't fit on their body anymore.

exercising will help. But depending on how much you have to lose, your age, genetics and whether you ever smoked, you will probably have some loose skin.

Personally, I'd rather have my loose skin and be able to run, jump, tie my own shoes, fit in an airplane seat, etc. than be obese again.

I'm about 1/2 way to my goal and I do have saggy skin. Quite frankly, I expected it...very few people can weigh over 300 lbs for 5+ years and not have some saggy skin when they lose weight. That said, I will say that the amount of saggy skin is a lot less than I expected...I think because of the exercise. I am already planning for post weight loss plastic surgery in a year or two but even if I couldn't afford plastic surgery I would still be happy with being at a healthy weight (even with saggy skin).

I have been saving money for the last 6 months for surgery. My goal is lose these last 25lbs, maintain for 1 year then have TT and breasts done.

My freind who got lap band about 1 1/2 years ago has alot of skin in her mid section. She is also planning Tummy Tuck for later this year. But even if she didnt do that, she is so much happier now with the weight she lost.

The loose skin is going to happen whether you get the surgery or not as far as weight loss goes. Don't let that determine what you do.

With really fast weight loss, your skin takes a while to shrink down, and also you are losing muscle if you don't eat a lot of Protein and exercise. People who exercise and keep that muscle definition under their skin, have a much healthier, less deflated look. Since lapband weight loss tends to be slower than bypass, you do get less of that look with lapband patients.

I am only 3.5 months banded, but have 'plastic surgery account' started to have money for the surgery that most likely will not be payed by insurance. :-)