Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Loss At the Beginning

I fear sounding like a broken record but here goes... I was banded exactly 1 month ago and have only lost 10 lbs. I am real happy with that but... I thought I'd lose a lot this first month (like a bunch of you lucky folks). Here's my question. Has anyone had a slow start (like myself) but once they had their first fill have the wl kick in to a good pace (1-2 lbs per week?). If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hi,

I also started rather slowly, but now after 6 months and 3 fills, I've lost about 75 pounds!!! So, as you've read before, just be patient and let yourself heal and slowly get used to this new way of life. Once you start getting some fills and restriction, you should be well on your way to a decent weight loss. The ONLY complaint I had about my pre-surgery meetings and information from my doctor was that he didn't stress to me how I probably would NOT lose weight right at first. I, like many others, came out of surgery thinking....."OKAY!! Let's start LOSING!!" But in reality it took a couple months before things really started happening. I would have felt better emotionally if someone (my doctor!) had told me this was "normal" so I wouldn't have gotten so impatient and frustrated at first. So, difficult as it may be, just hang in there, do what your doctor tells you, get some fills, then go shopping for smaller clothes!! It will happen!!

You don't sound like a broken record, but I will. (Want to feel old? Most kids today have never seen a record!)

There is no reason for you to have any weight loss the first month. If you and your doctor are following the standard procedures, all you are involved in is eating food that is soft enough that the band has time to heal in place.

What makes the band work is the consumption of solid foods, (that--one month out--you probably haven't been eating) with sufficient restriction (and you haven't had a fill, yet).

So your weight loss is not slow, it is fast. Many, many people lose and then regain most of the first month's weight loss. Because :guess

the band doesn't start working until there is restriction and the patient is on solid foods...

the band doesn't start working until there is restriction and the patient is on solid foods...

:cheeky

I am also a bit frustrated and totally can relate to your posting.

I have been banded 2 month ago and only lost 17 pounds.

I got my first fill last Wed of 2.5CC and have not lost anything yet. I can feel a little bit of restriction but still think I eat bigger portion than I should

I scheduled another fill for Wed 28 to put a bit more in.

I agree with you that you get a bit dissapointed to see other people loosing wait much faster than others.

I think one of the most important things we have to learn as bandsters is not to compare our progress with that of other people. Certainly there are things we can control, like our caloric intake and amount of exercise, but there are way more things we CANNOT control and those are what account for the huge differences in the way people lose weight.

There is no reason to get disappointed or frustrated with a 17 lb loss in two months or 10 lbs in one month! These are terrific achievements and you should both be very proud of yourselves.

It's easy to lose perspective when we start comparing our progress to that of other people. And that way lies only anguish. Pay attention to your own achievements and you'll see them mount before you know it. Congratulations!!

You are absolutly right!

I guess sometimes we get caught up in our own little world where we want results and want them over night.

I had a superslow start. I lost around 10 lbs the first month then gained it back plus around another 6 waiting for my fill!!! (My doctor refused to fill me until 3 months postop--an entirely different vent altogether).

In spite of the rough start I found my way and was successful.

10 lbs is great!!!! Just wait until you get a good fill!!

Hi guys

I am also losing really slow (3 months, 16 days and counting) and as of yesterday I was back to only losing 7 kilos ( from 10 kg - I blame the heat wave in melbourne).

I have to admit, I feel a twinge of pain in my new stomach every time I read how many pounds other people are losing ( specially since you all write in pounds which is like .5 kilo so for a second before i convert is like WOW!!!! what am i doing wrong!!???? that is, besides eating pretty much all I want in portions larger than I would like to and enjoying every morsel.....))

Ok, I am off track, what I came to say is that of course we shouldnt be tempted into comparing our progress to others', we are all in the race to get to the finish line, nobody is timing it tho, so we are not competing with each other.

Now, my mantra if you like, this time around ( after hundreds of diets) has changed to quality not quantity, in every sense. I want to lose weight while enjoying every day, every meal, and with NO concern of how much faster i could do it if I applied myself to the task at hand. After all, this time around, it is NOT a diet. I am finally making changes that have to last for the rest of my life. Every diet before: pills, shots, starvation, Protein, carb, no carb, low carb, grapefruit, rice and melon, cabagge Soup, etc, etc, were about how fast i could lose as much as possible before I lost the ability to keep up the madness and go back to .... well, eating like fat me. Now, my will power (so to speak) is not going away after 6 weeks of hunger! So I am enjoying every day that the scales go down a little bit ( hopefully the heat wave will be over soon :rolleyes:

Sorry I tend to go on and on and on....

tellie

ps, I am soooo looking forward to my next fill on thursday I only have .5 ml in at the moment which means, well... lots of food!

Every diet before...were about how fast i could lose as much as possible before I lost the ability to keep up the madness and go back to .... well, eating like fat me...

That is SOOOO true!! Every "diet" I've ever been on created a mindset of short-term deprivation. Banding is for life, and that piece of silicone isn't going away--it won't BE gone in a few weeks or months.

It's scary, realizing that I will never again be able to gorge the way I used to find so satisfying. But there will be other sources of satisfaction in my life--ones that are not so hurtful.

Thank you all so much for your friendship and support!! This is a long tough journey and it means so much to me. I know 15 lbs. in 8 wks doesn't seem like a ton but at this rate, I can be at goal by June/July. If you have more advice or comments, please continue sharing. I really appreciate it....

I'd be thrilled to lose 15lbs in eight weeks! I've never lost that much on any diet that quickly!! Hope you do that good until you get to your goal weight!

I couldn't remember how much I had lost the first month until I looked at the back of a picture I took, I only lost 12 pounds the first month so, really you are doing very well, especially since you haven't had your first fill yet. Most liquidy foods you have to have in the first month have a lot of calories/carbs/sugars anyway so it is hard to lose that way. Just think, you weighed 10 pounds more a month ago. You are right on track........keep up the good work.