Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"NERVES" - Surgery June 17th!

On the scale of 1 - 10 (1 being nothing and 10 being terrible) I would probably rate it a 7-8 in the hospital. I have low pain tolerance and didn't want the pain meds because it made me sick. However, once the found the right pain med to give me I was in heaven. I was able to walk around and was great. After day 2 I was more of a (5) until about the 5th day. Then I had to go back to school - I'm in Cosmetology school where I work on my feet 8 hours a day and was completely fine. I was probably a (2) but hardly felt it at all. Definitely the pain is temporary. We've all been there for sure. It gets better...even if it doesn't feel like it will. I remember asking, "Is this going to be forever?" but before I knew it, I woke up and was itching to get to the gym! You can do it!! There's no doubt that you can it! Do attend the support meetings, and even watching shows on TV like Extreme Makeover - Weight Loss Edition help. Find as much support you can, and don't forget that you're your own biggest fan. It didn't take a few weeks to put the weight on, so don't forget that it will take more than a few weeks to get the weight off. But I can promise you that the day you buy a smaller pair of jeans, you will never want to give up! Definitely hit me up if you ever feel nervous. That goes for anyone. I can be a great listener. I will listen to your complaints, and your excitements! Good luck to you! You'll all do great!

I am exactly 2 weeks post-op. When I woke up in the recovery room I wasn't hurting at all and I didn't hurt that much at all that first day. However when I woke up the next day I was in alot of pain. I wouldn't say excrusiating pain, just really bad soreness. I had a hard time getting up and down out of bed or chairs. I found that walking around for about 5-10 minutes every hour really loosened me up and helped alot. Day 3 I started feeling better. For about the next week I was a little sore but able to move around just fine. Overall I don't think it was that bad!

It's so normal to have doubts and second-guess yourself as your surgery date gets closer. Don't stress about it too much. What I did, that I found really helpful, was to write out a pro/con list of all the reasons I wanted to have the surgery and the reasons I was afraid to do it. In retrospect, my "cons" didn't turn out to be a big deal at all, but the pros were all true. Here's a LINK to my list, in case you want to check it out (it's the second post.. just wanted you to see the Post Op Plan for Success too -- could be helpful).

My other advice to you is to take a bunch of "before" photos today if you haven't done it already, and to take -- and write down -- your measurements. You will definitely want this information later! I hope that helps -- and, CONGRATULATIONS!! You have so much to look forward to in the next year especially -- lots of good changes and NSVs (non-scale victories) and SVs are heading your way! :)

Best wishes,

Catherine

SURGERY this Friday the 17th .

Please any words of wisdom for the nerves I am feeling?

Thanks in advance!

dont be nervous, i had cancelled my surgery because i was so afraid. when i finally did it ...well it was the best day of my life! i lost 105 feel great...you will be fine and im sure in a few months you will laugh about the nerves ....to me the surgery was nothing. i was in the hosipital 24 hrs and stopped at jc penney on my way home. good luck.

It's so normal to have doubts and second-guess yourself as your surgery date gets closer. Don't stress about it too much. What I did, that I found really helpful, was to write out a pro/con list of all the reasons I wanted to have the surgery and the reasons I was afraid to do it. In retrospect, my "cons" didn't turn out to be a big deal at all, but the pros were all true. Here's a LINK to my list, in case you want to check it out (it's the second post.. just wanted you to see the Post Op Plan for Success too -- could be helpful).

My other advice to you is to take a bunch of "before" photos today if you haven't done it already, and to take -- and write down -- your measurements. You will definitely want this information later! I hope that helps -- and, CONGRATULATIONS!! You have so much to look forward to in the next year especially -- lots of good changes and NSVs (non-scale victories) and SVs are heading your way! :)

Best wishes,

Catherine

if your still nervous look at Catherine55, omg she looks beautiful good for her and this is what your future holds

One more thing -- I actually didn't find it to be as painful as I thought it would be. I'd say it was more like a 4. The gas was uncomfortable the day of the surgery, but it didn't hurt -- it was just uncomfortable.

My shoulder was the only thing that hurt (from the gas), but it was just an ache (basically, a constant stabbing pain, but not one that was so bad that I would cry about it! Complain, yes. Cry, no! LOL). And, the shoulder pain faded quite a lot each day until it was just really faint, then it went away entirely. My incisions and port area didn't hurt at all (though i just went back to my October 2008 post about surgery and see that I wrote that my port area felt a little sore after surgery). That said, I slept on my stomach for part of the second night after surgery and was fine. Honestly, I thought the surgery was going to be a lot more painful than it was. I was surprised that it wasn't harder.

Am going to try to post this one without my gigantic signature photo! No clue how to make that thing smaller!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Catherine55, you are so inspirational. I just got my surgery date today. June 27th I will be banded. To think in 13 days I will begin my journey back to the old me. I'm a little nervous like you allicap, but I'm more excited than anything. If I can birth 4 kids without an epidural, I know I can handle this. i've had my tonsils and gallbladder removed, so I'm no virgin to surgery. I know it wont be a breeze, and I pray everything goes fine, but I'm so ready to do this. Now ask me if I'm this hype the day before, and I'll probably be shaking in my boots. But as of today, Its full steam ahead. I just want this weight gone.

You look absolutely amazing!!!! You really are a great motivational person on this forum. I met with my surgeon today and since I did all my evals first, we are submitting to insurance immediately!

One more thing -- I actually didn't find it to be as painful as I thought it would be. I'd say it was more like a 4. The gas was uncomfortable the day of the surgery, but it didn't hurt -- it was just uncomfortable.

My shoulder was the only thing that hurt (from the gas), but it was just an ache (basically, a constant stabbing pain, but not one that was so bad that I would cry about it! Complain, yes. Cry, no! LOL). And, the shoulder pain faded quite a lot each day until it was just really faint, then it went away entirely. My incisions and port area didn't hurt at all (though i just went back to my October 2008 post about surgery and see that I wrote that my port area felt a little sore after surgery). That said, I slept on my stomach for part of the second night after surgery and was fine. Honestly, I thought the surgery was going to be a lot more painful than it was. I was surprised that it wasn't harder.

Am going to try to post this one without my gigantic signature photo! No clue how to make that thing smaller!

Best wishes,

Catherine

Thank you guys so much for your nice comments!! :) And, congratulations to Bodacious Barbie and La Dolce Vita on your decisions and upcoming surgery!

OH BOY.... I REALLY WISH THEY STILL HAD THAT FEATURE THAT LET ME TURN OFF THE SIGNATURE.... HERE GOES THE GIANT CHEESECAKE PHOTO AGAIN...... APOLOGIES! This is so obnoxious!! :blink:

Catherine

ME toooooo!!! Banded Friday June 17th - but i have to confess i got scared and nervous and i had been ok with the entire procedure until yesterday I just started to cry and i cheated. I am so scared. This cheat is way to close to surgery and i am afraid that they wont do my surgery now :unsure:

So I had mine this morning. The bright side was that my mom and aunt both had it done as well, so I had a nice support system. I was so scared and even while they were putting the IV in I was wondering what the heck I was doing there. So just breathe. Easier said than done, I know, but after they stopped asking me questions I fell asleep for a little bit and felt so much better and ready to go when I woke up. Then they took me to the operating room, moved me to an operating table and then I was waking up in recovery. I'm having a lot of gas pains right now, but I'm just trying to keep on walking and taking my pain meds and hopefully it will work. It better b/c I have to be back at work on Monday...

Really though, I was positively terrified for the past few days, and it truly was no big deal. The fear is the worst part, the pain is tolerable. Apparently I had a hietal hernia which may have been causing the indigestion I've been having for forever and the surgeon fixed it. Good luck tomorrow and I hope all goes well for you.

ME toooooo!!! Banded Friday June 17th - but i have to confess i got scared and nervous and i had been ok with the entire procedure until yesterday I just started to cry and i cheated. I am so scared. This cheat is way to close to surgery and i am afraid that they wont do my surgery now :unsure:

I just want to let you know that I was banded this morning and my 21st birthday was this past Monday. I had a couple of margaritas and everything was still just fine. If you've been being good on the pre-op diet, then everything should go well. Good luck!

Ruth, I'm being banded on June 28th... I have wanted this surgery for over 2 years. My daughter was married in 1999 and every time I look at her wedding pictures I cry, because of my damn weight. I was always going to loose the weight, especially for her wedding... DIDN'T HAPPEN. Every Summer for as long as I can remember I would swear this will be the last summer that I'll be Fat. Last summer I joined weight watchers and I was soooo excited because I swore that when I went to my family reunion this year they would bowled over at my weight loss.. lol.. DIDN"T HAPPEN... But Guess what... This summer is THE LAST!!!! I can loose weight, but I can't keep it off... You have to ask yourself what made you decide to have this surgery?? Are the people that are telling you that you can loose the weight without the surgery heavy or slim? I have been very careful to keep this surgery to a very few people, as I didn't want any negative influences. I have been FAT all my adult life, I'm tired feeling all the aches and pains, the lack of energy, etc.. I want to experience life as a thin person, so in order to do this I need this surgery. Ask yourself where will you be in one year if you don't go forward with your decision to have surgery? Are these people that are letting you doubt yourself very close to you? Do they know the struggles you've had with your weight issues? Have they seen you cry yourself to sleep because of your weight? Are they there with you when the Airline seat buckle is hard to do up? I'm doing this surgery for me... no one else.. How about you?

Brenda

Omg we are long lost sisters lol..we are being banded on the same day! yay!! and i sis weight wathcers and i waited 5 years for this!! (long story) best of luck and i am going to have to friend you so we can keep eachother up dated..that is if you dont mind hehe :o):)