Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone started experiencing leg cramps???

I have noticed that:

1. my band has tightened up for no reason...(mybe Tom related)

2. I'm hungry but have no appitite....will eat 2-3 bites and just not want anymore.

Let me know if anyone has this happen to them and what to do about the cramps....

I get leg cramps if I don't drink enough Water.< /p>

Are you still taking your Vitamins? I've had leg cramps in the past and was told that it's usually Potassium.

Yes, make sure you're getting potassium! Take extra or eat a couple bananas and see if it helps.

Water, but not so much that you dilute your body's salt and electrolyte levels. I had a few months of wicked night cramps recently, just after I had my ileostomy surgery. Because with an ileostomy you lose a lot of water and salt from your body anyway, and because I also had chronic diarrhoea so I lost even more I was having leg cramps every night - water and a lot of added salt to my diet did the trick, and lots of foods with potassium, like bananas.

Yep, potassium and Water. Be careful with bananas tho, I know a lot of bandsters that can't eat them.....including myself!

Increased my Water intake yesterday and so far no cramps while I was sleeping... but I was always on the verge of getting one if I stretched wrong...

I have started drinking my Protein again I havent done so in a while so hopefully that will help since it has a lot of potassium in it....

I take the peals off bananas and freeze them, then use them in my smoothies. Tonight I did a chocolate and Peanut Butter Protein Powder, half a frozen banana, flax seeds, plain kefir, some spinach and a half scope of chocolate super food.< /p>

Oh, leg cramps, how I hate them. I've had them off and on my whole life and the advice you've gotten is great-- Water Water water, Vitamins Vitamins vitamins :) Hope they go away soon. There is something really unpleasant about waking up in the middle of the night with a sudden intense cramping in your calf that makes you want to scream. I just hope you never experience toe cramps-- yep, I've had that happen too and it's almost worse.

Wow, I sound like a Debbie Downer tonight. Sorry :)

Yeah toe cramps suck... But the front of the calf if it cramps sucks cuz you cant strech it out u just have to suffer till it goes away.

Water, potassium, Calcium. In that order. :)

Ae you following a low-carb diet? Intense, or increased (if you already suffered from them) leg cramps almost always come with a low carb diet. I went from cramps in toes/calves pre-op, to cramps where my entire thigh muscle would completely seize. Talk about hurt. If you are having a hard time kneading them out, moist heat really helps -- hot wet towel, shower head, etc. Hubby knows the routing to go microwave a hand towel if he wakes up to me rocking on the bed & kneading a lower body part.

Powerade Zero has potassium in it and no calories.

I increased my Water and Protein for a few days to see if that would help with the cramps and it did so I decided to do an experiment and stop and see if the cramps would come back and YES they did...

So more Protein and Water for me from now on!!!

Great Advice ! Water first, always. When I use to get them I had to jump out of bed, put my foot flat on the floor and put weight on it. It hurts to do, but everything goes back into place quicker.

Anyone ever get them in the upper inner thigh? WOW ! those hurt.

If you get leg cramps frequently, stretching exercises may help to prevent them or reduce how often you get them.