Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Co Worker JUST SAID WHAT????!!!!

So I was at my office and one of my co workers who has lost 50 lbs on her own (with 60 to go) found out I had lap band. No I was not as overweight as she was, but said " Well some of us HAVE to do it the old fashioned way." WITH a very sarcastic tone to her voice. I would have thought she was happy for me, but appently she is rather annoyed that I had it done! I am sooo glad I did this for myself despite what she thinks.

Next time sat "Some of us realize it's rude to comment on another person's medical decision." If she's insulted ask if she would like to continue the conversation in the HR Managers office. Something tells me she will not.

You have a right to a civil work environment. Your employer knows that. You can sue them if they foster a hostile work environment.

I would just tell her, good luck on keeping it off. I've lost 50 lbs before and just put it right back on.

Next time sat "Some of us realize it's rude to comment on another person's medical decision." If she's insulted ask if she would like to continue the conversation in the HR Managers office. Something tells me she will not.

You have a right to a civil work environment. Your employer knows that. You can sue them if they foster a hostile work environment.

This hardly constitutes harassment and we have no reason to believe that it'll ever progress to that point. Her comment was rude because of its implications, but not everything is cause for litigation.

I work in a professional environment and I might have said something like this

" Each person makes decisions that impact their lives, I made an educated choice to be smarter about my health. " Sometimes it's choosing a smarter route not a harder one to accomplish a goal that makes all the difference."

I don't understand the other posters comment about a hostile work environment - Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - it's what you do with that information that is important -

Good Luck to you - I am just starting this journey and very excited to have lost 40 pounds in 21 days!

It's unfortunate, but I can't understand why everyone expects positive reactions from people who aren't banded. People are always looking for any excuse to criticize somebody else. I keep my band to myself, others don't need to know.

She is what I love to call a HATER lolol...... :D

So I was at my office and one of my co workers who has lost 50 lbs on her own (with 60 to go) found out I had lap band. No I was not as overweight as she was, but said " Well some of us HAVE to do it the old fashioned way." WITH a very sarcastic tone to her voice. I would have thought she was happy for me, but appently she is rather annoyed that I had it done! I am sooo glad I did this for myself despite what she thinks.

That really sounds like a small comment that I would just agree with and let roll off. When she said "some of us have to do it the old fashoned way" , I would have just said "yes, that's true" and gone on about my day.

i agree with Sandworms ! It is noones business because unless the person is also overweight and already thinking about the band , they usually look at you with a smile but they are thinking " Wow they are so lazy . " . Ive learned my lesson telling anyone anything ! ! Lol Oh and when you try to say " It's just a TOOL , its really hard work " the expression on most of their faces get worse !! haha

I have told everyone at my work, but there is only 8 of us. I am the boss, so I dont get to much slack, everyone is being pretty supportive. I did get one comment the other day from one girl that said she is so jelious that I am losing. And other comments about how I am getting to skinny. Really, wait for the other 50+ pounds. I think at that point I will be the 2nd thinnest person there. I dont know how well that will go over. Lol

I've gotten some crazy remarks from people, too. I've been very open about my surgery and everyone knows that I've gotten the band. My thoughts were, the more people who know about it, the more I will work to make my weight loss happen. I know it's ultimately for ME, but it's also a good way to keep myself on track.

I've had relatives tell me that I was stupid to have the band because everyone they know has gained back their weight. And others think that it's like gastic bypass and when they see me they say, "You don't look any thinner."

I just smile and tell them that the band is not a magic wand...I still have to do the work...and I leave it at that. Let them think what they want...they will anyway!

Good luck to all of us!!!

I don't read anything hateful in that comment, but that's just the words on the screen. Some people do have to do it the old fashioned way - maybe that's all that was meant? Like when I turn on my sprinkler system and our neighbor, holding a sprinkler and hose, says, "I have to do it the old fashioned way." My assumption is not that he's annoyed.

It could also have been a pure statement. Maybe WLS isn't an option they'd consider, or their insurance won't pay & they can't afford it, or there are medical reasons why they can't have a procdure done, etc. Once I told someone how much weight I had lost and the response was, "Wow, I can't believe you lost that much." I could have taken that as - "I can believe someone else lost that much, but would expect failure from you" or "How could you have possibly lost that much and still be fat?" or "You're lying" or a hundred other ways, when it was just meant as an innocuous statement.

HTH

I don't read anything hateful in that comment, but that's just the words on the screen. Some people do have to do it the old fashioned way - maybe that's all that was meant? Like when I turn on my sprinkler system and our neighbor, holding a sprinkler and hose, says, "I have to do it the old fashioned way." My assumption is not that he's annoyed.

It could also have been a pure statement. Maybe WLS isn't an option they'd consider, or their insurance won't pay & they can't afford it, or there are medical reasons why they can't have a procdure done, etc. Once I told someone how much weight I had lost and the response was, "Wow, I can't believe you lost that much." I could have taken that as - "I can believe someone else lost that much, but would expect failure from you" or "How could you have possibly lost that much and still be fat?" or "You're lying" or a hundred other ways, when it was just meant as an innocuous statement.

HTH

If she really did say it in a sarcastic tone, she was being rude. I agree with those who are saying that she's probably just a hater. She wants to emphasize that, as opposed to the OP, she's losing weight on her own and, therefore, she deserves more credit for her weight-loss than the OP does for hers. When it comes back on, she might regard the band differently. Also, maybe she thinks the OP was self-pay and she's bitter that the OP could afford to have the surgery while she can't.

To the OP: The best thing to do is to not over-react. While maintaining a professional attitude in all necessary interactions with her, keep an emotional distance going forward. Don't bother being social. You can expect her to make more comments along those lines if the topic comes up again, especially if she gains the weight back.

Co-worker needs to sort through, and deal with her jealousy and bitterness. And I think that if she makes a snarky comment like that again, you have the right to call her on it. Straight up ask her if there's a way you can make YOUR Lapband not make HER angry because it's getting effing old.

I'm sorry. This crap is the exact reason I'm keeping mine a secret from most people.