Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you ever regretted telling someone about the band?

Yes. I waited two years to tell my sister in-law and mother in-law. Although I have asked them not to tell anyone because I am very private they have told several people anyway.

I think that anyone you live with should know (at a minimum) these are the people you are going to need to help and understand these weird eating patterns (Liquid, mushies, low carb, etc...just not eating like you normally would). As far as anyone else - that's up to you. The people living with you are the ones that are going to notice some differences. I also told a few best friends that I knew I could trust and were supportive. All of them have been AMAZING! I love that I told them and they really have been wonderful. This is a personal choice and depends on the people around you.

I don't blab it to the world or anything, but I don't really care what anyone thinks anymore. That afraid-for-anyone-to-find-out phase has passed for me :)

I'll admit I regret telling anyone I had it done. I am loosing so slow I swear I have done better on my own at times without the band. I feel like people who know are thinking "I thought she had surgery to loose weight, what happened" I ask myself that same thing somethimes.

Who have I told?

Hubby, child, Mom, Dad, mom in law, dad in law, brother, sister in law, Manager at work (because I had to give dr note) and best friend.

Who I wish I would have told?

Hubby, child and best friend. They are the only ones who don't constantly ask "so how much have you lost" all the freaking time. AHHHHH I know the others mean well. BUT this is a slow process and it really annoys me.

Now I just tell them "I don't know and I won't know until my next dr appointment"

~Kris

This is why I only told close family members, and only a cpl of my closest friends. I don't need every time you see me to ask me "how much I lost and am I doing it right and eating right-since someone I know lost... " Which is why i keep it to myself and just say i'm working hard at it because it's true. i am.

I have told everyone about my up coming procedure. I guess I wouldn't be so apt to do so if I didn't feel that all my relationships were very supportive, and honestly if someone hadn't been so open and honest with me, I probably wouldn't know about the surgery. In my opinon I am proud of my choice, and am willing to share it with everyone. I have no shame in getting out the snowblower vs shoveling the 300 yard drive way the hard way so to speak. I am still going to be cold, its still hard work, but why wouldn't you use the best tools to achieve health. Would you hire a carpenter if he only used a hand saw and hammer to build your house which would add at least 3-4 weeks longer to your project, as to the guy who had the latest tools and could provide you the same, if not better results in 2 days? Good Luck to everyone.

I'm having my surgery July 8th, and so far I've only told my mom. (I have no significant other.) I'm not really sure how honest to be with others about the surgery, for fear that I may regret telling them in the future. There's a part of me that wants to be totally open about it. Goodness knows it can take a lot of energy to hide something like that. But I'd like to know from those who've BTDT. Did you ever regret telling a particular person? Would you do anything differently if you had to do it again?

My husband knows, and two friends in Florida know - that is it. I am "afraid" to tell my grown sons, but feel guilty keeping this from them. I am in the same place you are. Have no idea what to do. Keep me posted on what you do,