Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Week of May 23rd - 27th, 2011

Hi everyone. I was Banded May 27th. Never really had any pain. I just find that no matter what I drink I am always belching. Even ice chips!! Anyone else having this problem? Down almost 10lbs since surgery! 71 more to go.

Wow! 10 lbs in one week! Congrats! What are you doing?! I'm one week post surgery and have gone by the book on liquid Protein only. Have lost 5.

Re the burping, I do it too, but doesn't seem as often as you. Maybe you're drinking a little too fast? Not that that is a criticism...whatever you are doing is working very well! We still have lots of gas in us, so any way you can get rid of it is good!

Again, congrats! Keep up the good work!

I had my surgery on Tuesday, the 31st of May and came home yesterday, Wed. Have been doing OK, slept well from 10 to 3 then moved to the recliner. Deep breaths hurt - anyone else experience that? I also had a hernia repaired, (didn't know I had it until after the surgery). Did my first Protein Shake about an hour ago. Feel a little bloated now... Just did a lap around the driveway, the fresh air felt great!

I had my surgery on Tuesday, the 31st of May and came home yesterday, Wed. Have been doing OK, slept well from 10 to 3 then moved to the recliner. Deep breaths hurt - anyone else experience that? I also had a hernia repaired, (didn't know I had it until after the surgery). Did my first Protein shake about an hour ago. Feel a little bloated now... Just did a lap around the driveway, the fresh air felt great!

Oh yeah!...deep breathing was a challenge at first. That should improve soon. I had an unknown hiatal hernia repaired, too! Cool! A two-fer! The feeling of bloatiness went away after a few days, but sipping Protein and liquids all day kept me feeling full.

Super congrats on the walking already! Keep up the good work!

I had my surgery on Tuesday, the 31st of May and came home yesterday, Wed. Have been doing OK, slept well from 10 to 3 then moved to the recliner. Deep breaths hurt - anyone else experience that? I also had a hernia repaired, (didn't know I had it until after the surgery). Did my first Protein shake about an hour ago. Feel a little bloated now... Just did a lap around the driveway, the fresh air felt great!

Hello Janice,

I had my surgery saturday the 28th and I had really bad pains in my chest too and it was hard to breath. I can not lay flat on my back. I have to recline or I will suffer so I know what you mean. Continue walking it will get better.

Q

Wow! 10 lbs in one week! Congrats! What are you doing?! I'm one week post surgery and have gone by the book on liquid Protein only. Have lost 5.

Re the burping, I do it too, but doesn't seem as often as you. Maybe you're drinking a little too fast? Not that that is a criticism...whatever you are doing is working very well! We still have lots of gas in us, so any way you can get rid of it is good!

Again, congrats! Keep up the good work!

I have been sticking to the liquid diet as much as I can. I try to walk as much as possible. I don't know what to do about the belching, even ice chips cause it. I guess it makes me eat less because it is just so annoying! I don't go in for my first check up until next Thursday.

BTW I have 5 incisions, anybody else have this many? My brother was banded March 10th with the same Dr. and that is how he does it. Wondering when the steri-strips will fall off too.

Good luck to you too!!

Hi - I am a little past the dates listed, but I was banded on Tuesday May 31st. I went into the OR at 10:19 and was home in bed by 3 pm. I am feeling fine now. The first day was rough. The air/ gas from the laparoscopic surgery was painful until it worked itself out and the nausea from the anesthesia was also bad. By 5 am on wednesday, i was feeling much better and I have had no pain meds since the hospital. My main issue is that I am HUNGRY. I have been on Clear Liquids since Monday (4 days now) and will be on them until next tuesday. I can't wait to have a Protein shake or some fat free cottage cheese!!! I am so hopeful that this will work for me. Right now, I don't even think I have a band in me - of course I know that I do, but I feel like I could eat a burger and fries with no problem. I am determined to follow my drs orders though.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all and supporting each other as we go through this life-changing experience!!

peace, nora

Thanks for the pep talk, I feel a little better this evening, I think I may have been drinking too quickly.

Hello Janice,

I had my surgery saturday the 28th and I had really bad pains in my chest too and it was hard to breath. I can not lay flat on my back. I have to recline or I will suffer so I know what you mean. Continue walking it will get better.

Q

Hi there,

I am Misti and am 35 and live in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.. I thought it would be nice to talk to others on here that got the lap band the week of the 23rd through the 27th. Would love to know how you are all doing and keep up with you through your journey. My surgery was Tuesday May 24th and everything went perfect.

I am still a bit sore in the port area and I want to itch my scars off. LOL I am also still walking around a bit slow, but I am doing much better. Have learned that when I have my liquid meal and feel the urge to burb, that is my sign to quit that I have had enough. I have never listened to my body so much. I am really excited about this journey, it has been a long time coming.

Pre-Liquid/ day of surgery / today/ goal

240/ 229/ 224/ 145

Hope to hear from you!! :)rolleyes.gif

Misti

Hi Misti,

I was banded May 27th and live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area too. I also had the hital hernia repair. I've also been burping. Everytime I burp, I get sharp pains all the way up my left shoulder. So ready for this gas to be gone. Who did your surgery? My doctor is Dr. Snow. Excited to meet someone who lives so close and had surgery the same week!

I have been sticking to the liquid diet as much as I can. I try to walk as much as possible. I don't know what to do about the belching, even ice chips cause it. I guess it makes me eat less because it is just so annoying! I don't go in for my first check up until next Thursday.

BTW I have 5 incisions, anybody else have this many? My brother was banded March 10th with the same Dr. and that is how he does it. Wondering when the steri-strips will fall off too.

Good luck to you too!!

I had eight incisions! Four for the lap band, and 4 cause they removed 4 skin tags while they were at it! hahaha! Cool!

Post what the doc says about why he uses 5 incisions. Just curious.

Hi - I am a little past the dates listed, but I was banded on Tuesday May 31st. I went into the OR at 10:19 and was home in bed by 3 pm. I am feeling fine now. The first day was rough. The air/ gas from the laparoscopic surgery was painful until it worked itself out and the nausea from the anesthesia was also bad. By 5 am on wednesday, i was feeling much better and I have had no pain meds since the hospital. My main issue is that I am HUNGRY. I have been on Clear liquids since Monday (4 days now) and will be on them until next tuesday. I can't wait to have a Protein shake or some fat free cottage cheese!!! I am so hopeful that this will work for me. Right now, I don't even think I have a band in me - of course I know that I do, but I feel like I could eat a burger and fries with no problem. I am determined to follow my drs orders though.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all and supporting each other as we go through this life-changing experience!!

peace, nora

OMG! Are you sure you got the instructions right regarding the Clear Liquids "doctor's orders"? My clear liquids diet for the week after surgery included Protein shakes, and skim milk to mix the Protein powder. With that, I've made yummy slushies with milk, vanilla Protein and a half tsp sugar free Koolaid. And coffee mocha slushies with milk, chocolate Protein Powder and coffee. Maybe call your doc and double check? Super good luck!

Not sure how I missed this, perhaps I was a little preoccupied. :-)

I am Michelle and I was banded in Vegas on 5/27. I thought I was never going to feel better until Sun...then the gas started. Fortunately I walked a lot and it didn't move above my belly, but dang!! I had my post op appt today and they said my incisions look really good. One more week on liquids...I can't wait for mushies!!! I also can't wait to be able to get back to the gym. Another week for that, but then I will still take it easy until 4 weeks post op.

I have found that the Premier chocolate Protein shake at costco is the best. Tastes like chocolate pudding. It's 11 oz and 30 grams protein!

I've made up some yummy "dreamcycles" with non-fat milk (1 1/2 C), 2 scoops of vanilla Protein powder (20 grams protein per scoop), and 1/2 tsp unsweetened Koolaid. Mix it all together and put in three 1/2-cup containers and freeze. They end up being 18 grams protein each. Take it out of the freezer about 1/2 hour before eating, to let it get a little slushy.

I've also made yummy pudding!... 1 package sugar free instant pudding, 4 scoops unflavored protein powder (20 grams each), and 2 cups non fat milk (9 0z protein each cup!). Makes five 1/2 C-servings-- 20 grams protein each! I put those in the fridge and let set overnight, but the directions say it can be ready in 5 minutes!

How long is the dr. having you stay on a liquid diet? I'm going to my dr today for my 1-week check up. I'm super hoping I get to change to the puree phase!

Good luck to you!

I can't find any Protein Drinks that don't make me want to puke. They are either to thick or taste horrible. I didn't seem to mind some of the brands before my surgery. Also, I am having a hard time getting enough Water in. I know I'm supposed to sip it slowly all day. But, at the end of the day I only have probably 1 to 2 glasses. Help!!!

yeah my doc did 5 incisions too.

she explained there would be beforehand...but i never asked what they were for, i thought it was standard from what i had previously googled.

I had eight incisions! Four for the lap band, and 4 cause they removed 4 skin tags while they were at it! hahaha! Cool!

Post what the doc says about why he uses 5 incisions. Just curious.