Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you prefer biking, or walking/hiking?

I have a few friends who are really into biking (with a bicycle, not a motorcycle). In fact, right now one of them is on a 50 mile ride. After they dropped a considerable amount of weight, and hearing the stories, and seeing the pics of their rides, I decided to give it a try, and bought a bike last year.

I've got to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it. I'm not comfortable riding on roads with cars, which rules out most local rides, and the only alternative is putting the bike on the back of the car, and going to a local bike trail, which is a pain in the butt.

After some soul searching I've come to realize I MUCH prefer walking, and hiking. I can listen to my ipod (something else I'm not comfortable doing while riding). Worry a lot less about getting hit by a car. Tracking calories with the go-wear fit is more accurate. It's much easier to go somewhere new to hike a new trail (no bike mounts for the car to setup).

How about other people here. Those of you who have done both, which do you prefer, and why?

I hate walking. It bothers my joints and my feet begin to hurt. I can go farther and I have a lot more fun biking. I don't like riding on the road but I don't mind taking my bike to any of the local trails. Plus with the bike, it's easier for me to take my son. I don't have to push him in a stroller. Besides, at 3 (almost 4) he's too big for a stroller, in my opinion. Towing him adds more weight but I think of it as a better work out. I don't mind not having the tunes. I wouldn't walk with an iPod anyway. To me, it's like riding your bike with one. You can't hear cars etc. The only time I would walk with an iPod is if I was on a trail. My son enjoys riding in his bike trailer and I enjoy pedaling. My feet and joints don't hurt as much as they do when I walk.

Mountain Biking! I ride at least 5 days a week generally 14 miles a day(about 2 hrs) but also do a longer day about 20 miles. I love it. I also starting running this week - up to 2 miles now and I do a boot camp class 1x a week too. I hate road riding and the cars scare the crap out of me, but I love flying down rocky trails and launching off of moguls!

I luv to bike :) In my prime I did bike ride across nebraska, 510 miles! I'd luv to b back in that shape again! Lol

Well, I prefer running, but it fits in with walking for the purposes of this discussion. You can do it anywhere, anytime, take your shoes on holidays and run every day so you see a new area and dont come home fat!

Like you, I'm not comfortable riding on roads! I also hate cyclists on the road with a passion as a driver, I know they have a right to be there, and I know we have to share the roads, but they're still darn dangerous, they hold up traffic, they're apt to pop out at you when you least expect it, they're difficult to see etc. I dont want to annoy people by being an inexperienced cyclist on the road. Cycling and spinning also really bothers one of my hips for some reason. It requires expensive apparatus too and if you're really seriously into it, it gives you huge legs and a sore butt. I'm not a big fan.

I've found that I love walking more than biking. I don't know if it's the kind of seats on the bikes I have ridden but I can never get comfortable. My bum always hurts after a short while. I live in NYC and walking is a lot safer than bike riding here IMO.

I'm quite indifferent, most times. However, with no other way to say it, the fatter I am, the less I like to run. haha. For example, two years ago at 200lbs, running was my thing. I loved it. Today, though, I tend to ere to the side of riding. Oh, and I don't ride on the road 80% of the time. It scares the crap out of me. I'd MUCH rather ride on a trail. haha.

For the record, I appreciate anyone who is brave enough to mountain bike. One day, I would love to do it more often, but the last time I tried, I nearly got myself killed. lol.

I prefer biking. I'm kind of paranoid sometimes about walking and being kidnapped. LOL I feel like I'm safer on a bike. Can get away faster. Probably a weird reason. Also, I like the wind blowing against my face and hair when bike riding. Keeps me cool. I don't feel like it's exercise so much as just fun.

I really enjoy nature walks. It is my favorite. Especially if I can go explore a forest somewhere. I would like to ride my bike on the bike trails. I just need to find a much more comfortable seat. The one I have makes my tush hurt for 3-4 days! Anybody have suggestions for a comfortable bike seat?

Two words--bike shorts. They save my behind (other areas). Also, check with your bike shop. They may have seat covers or some other suggestion.

I prefer biking. I'm kind of paranoid sometimes about walking and being kidnapped. LOL I feel like I'm safer on a bike. Can get away faster. Probably a weird reason. Also, I like the wind blowing against my face and hair when bike riding. Keeps me cool. I don't feel like it's exercise so much as just fun.

Lol, this reminds me of a thread on here a year or two back where people were talking about running with a gun. My jaw literally hit the floor when I read that, I was completely gobsmacked. I havent ever even SEEN a real gun, people just down own them here - yeah, air rifles and other such things maybe, but a personal gun, that you actually carry? It just doesnt happen. Yet these ladies were talking about it like a completely normal thing. But in principal I agree, it is dangerous - my DH wont let me run after dark even when its only 5.30 pm and I'm running round white bread middle class suburbia.

I LOVE biking!!! I didn't like it right away....it's more of an acquired taste. Took me a few months to realize I actually liked it because it hurt my knees and my butt. The town I live in isn't bike friendly so most of my riding is indoor.

Cycling for me - exercise bike when it's dark outside but I love to hit the country roads on my hybrid whenever possible. Unfortunately the magpie-swooping season coincides with longer days so that makes it harder to get out. DH and dogs prefer walking so I do that with them, too.

But my all time fave exercise is dancing and losing weight with my band is making it even easier for me on the dance floor. DH has commented that I am eaiser to lead (rock and roll) now that I have started losing weight, so he is enjoying it even more too.

I like biking better then Running. For me it is a matter of knee and back pain. The compressive forces of running bother them, biking does not. I have not hiked in awhile and I hope to get back into it, but when I did, I did not seem to bother my back or knees. As was said above, bike shorts help as well as gel seat covers that you can buy for $20 at Walmart.< /p>

Hi,

I prefer biking because it is a much better work out for me than walking. I can burn 500 calories in an hour with a smile on my face. To burn 500 calories in the gym, I have to work really hard with a trainer...no smile! You can go a lot further in less time. Where I live, there are many bike lanes and routes and am in quite a bike friendly city so that helps a lot.

I think it is important to find something that works best for you with your schedule and what you enjoy. The key is to find something you can stick with. Maybe it is a combination of walking, riding, dance class..whatever makes you happy!.

Good luck!