Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it normal to gain when you start working out?

I had the lap band put in on 4-08-10 . I have lost 148 pds. and have really slowed down on the weight loss. I need to lose another 80 pds atleast. I joined a gym this week. I have worked out three days in a row and all cardio . The problem is I have gained 3 pds. in the three days. I dont understand why. I can honestly say that the scale has always went down or stayed the same not went up. I guess my question is , is this normal and will it start going back down. :unsure:

A few things:

1. Keep a food journal. People tend to eat more when they work out to compensate (it's usually done unconsciously). I recommend TheDailyPlate (gold plan). It works on your phone and online.
  2. If you do cardio every day, do interval training on the treadmill, walk for 5 minutes at 3 mph 0 deg. incline, then go up to 3.2 mph at 0 deg, then up to 3.5 mph at 0 deg incline, then down to 3 mph but increase incline to 5% (never go higher than 8% you'll strain your knees), and so on. Increase the speed, decrease the incline, but keep it between 3-4.5 mph if walking. Intermix arc trainer cardio and elliptical once a week each. Arc training is preferable to all others. Bikes are pretty much useless.
  3. Start weigh lifting - purchase a few personal training sessions if you have to - and do weight lifting every OTHER day. Never exercise the same body parts more than once a week. If you're looking for a personal trainer find someone who has the body you want, and go from there.
  4. Take measurements - the gym can help with this - take measurements of your body fat percentage (calipers are best), neck, biceps, forearms, wrist, chest at breasts, chest under breasts, true waist, belly button, hips, thighs, calves, ankles. Track your measurements every other week. Chances are you'll lose inches before you lose a lot of lbs.

Start with that, that should help you get back on track and see where you're doing well and where you can improve.

One of the most important things will be to talk to someone at the gym who is in the shape you want to be. Tell them your story and what you're trying to do and what you want to achieve - it's very rare that you'll find someone who doesn't want to help.

Thanks so much for the reply and advice. You are so right about the food journal. I have not had to keep one in the whole time that I have been banded but something has to give. I will be checking in to a personal trainer at the gym . I am just wanting to get the scales moving again. I lost 3 pds last month and 2 pds this month. I just have to figure out want I need to do to speed it back up some. Thanks again for your advice.

It's only been three days....give your body time to adjust to working out!

you are right but my weight loss has slowed downed for two months now. I am just trying to figure out how to speed it back up some. I still have about 90 pds. to lose. I was to tight last month and the dr. took some Fluid out. Now this month he sayes I still did good because I had an unfill and still lost weight. I joined the gym to try to speed the loss back up some and I guess I need to learn to take one day at a time and not rush it because it didnt come on over night .

When I start working out after a long hiatus, I often see a gain at first-- of Water weight. Something about working out-of shape muscle. I don't know the science behind it or if it happens to other people, but this is something I've observed.

I just finished my 1st 3 weeks at the gym as well.. going about 4 nights a week.. a mile on the treadmill, a mile on the bike and a few weights thrown in. I don't have any kind of program .. but surprisingly the scale hasn't moved in 3 weeks. I figured something had to be better then nothing but now I'm not so sure.

The MOST common reason why people gain weight after working out at first is the fact that muscles that aren't used much don't efficiently store Water anymore. Remember that the body is made up of anywhere from 45-55% water, depending on gender and percent body fat. When you start using muscles more than you did before, muscles start to take up water and swell a little. This is normal. This will increase your weight a little, but WORRY NOT!! You WILL lose weight. Also, remember that the more muscle you have, the easier it is to lose weight! Not to say that you need to become a bodybuilder to lose weight, that is. haha. :P