Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs Gastric Sleeve

If you had a chance to do it all over again, would you choose the band again or would you try the gastric sleeve?

I have the band but my friend is debating between the band and the sleeve. She thinks the sleeve might be better?

Would love to hear what you think and why.

The sleeve is promising. For me it would still not be possible as my insurance doesn't cover it.

There's not much long-term info on sleeves, not that there is for bands either. Strictures scare me. But I do like that it doesn't have the malabsorption.

I don't know...it was not even a choice for me when I made my decision between RNY and band. Hard to say what I would do today.

I would still choose the band...at the time I had surgery, it wasn't an option because insurance didn't cover the sleeve but I still go back to not wanting my stomach cut up. That said, the people I know who have the sleeve are very happy with their results.

Honestly I think I would try the sleeve. It was offered to me when I chose the band but I was scared of. Now that I've researched more if anything ever happens to my band I'll be going with the sleeve.

I would stick with the band for sure. What if they decide in 20 years you need your whole stomach. That is my worry.

Also I have 5 friends who have had the VS in the last 5 months. They lose ALOT of weight very fast. But honestly they look like crap. People ask me all the time if those people have had surgery and will say "you can tell" Than say to me they should do it "on their own" like you did. Than I tell them I had Lap and they are like oh. It is cause my lap makes it slower and my body has time to adjust. Also you can't live on 600 cals a day.

Just my opinion.

I've thought about this a lot because I have lost my band and, while I am compliant on my diet as far as staying low carb, no grains, fruits or starches, I'm still eating too many calories (1800) so my weight has been stuck at 201 pounds for over a month and I'd seriously been thinking about going back in and doing the sleeve...but I just couldn't seem to take that final step. for months I've been lurking on various sleeve boards and talked with my primary care's nurse who had it done.

Sure I'm still 200 pounds *but* by staying compliant with my low carb, moderate Protein, high fat diet (no grains, starches or fruits), I have managed to not only get off my insulin but get my blood sugars to where they stay down around 90-95 consistently. Sleeve patients have some of the same problems as band people do as far as getting stuck and sliming on things like protein...but have no recourse to getting an unfill. That would be a serious problem for me as these foods tend to be high in carbs.

My doctor's nurse said she has to eat about every 2 hours because she can't eat enough to sustain more than that. She's literally eating 3-4 small spoons of food. That would also be a problem for me since this would cause an almost constant insulin response in my body and make it almost impossible to resolve my insulin resistance.

I've also discovered from reading various medical reports/studies (posted on the internet in various medical forums) that sleeve patients have a much higher rate of acid reflux and esophageal problems than band patients do...and remember, you can't reverse the sleeve. I wonder whether we'll see a higher rate of esophageal cancer in the coming years as a result.

I once said that *FOR ME* there are worse things than being fat and a bypass was one of them. I've come to the conclusion that I feel the same about the sleeve. You'll have to come to your own conclusions and I recommend that you spend some time on the sleeve forums and ask for comments from people who've had it and weren't happy with it and why...because it's not reversible.

I would really have to give it some thought. The sleeve sounds good, In fact here in Michigan, they have some surgeons that are rolling or folding the stomach over, and sewing it instead of cutting, and staples, so if you want to go back,"SUPPOSIBLEY

it can be done, Because the whole stomach is still there...

Also I understand that the Hormone that makes you hungry, comes back in about 2 years.

On the other hand it does what the band was suppose to do??? Thats what I hear.

Well I was told it's a slow go, about 1-2lbs. a week is the Norm, also if you don't chew you will be stuck, If you follow your Instructions you will lose weight.

That sure sounds like the band to me ! So what is it suppose to do that the band Promised, and doesn't do?

It's a whole different thing. It's not covered by my Ins.. So I guess I will wait until it is, and then enquire about it. In the meantime I'm banded.

Thank you to everyone that has responded.

I do beleive she has decided to go with the band instead of the sleeve. She is suppose to get her surgery date next week.

Thanks for everyones input.

Good luck!!!!