Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Guys,

First off, I would like to say that I am THANKFUL that I have finally found a website for support! I feel like I have no one to talk to or turn to b/c they do not understand what I am going through. Its a relief, however, I do have questions, and concerns...

Well, I was banded on 5/6/11, about a week and a half ago, and I feel like I am living through hell! First off, I am STARVING!! I am in the liquids phase, and on 5/23, I can move on to pured foods which I'm happy about, but I have to be honest, I have cheated a bit. When I say cheated a bit, I mean I have taken bites of solid food in hopes that it will ease my hunger pains, and it has worked, but at a very hefty price. After taking those little bites, I felt like I was having a HEARTATTACK!! Can someone tell me why?? I know I shouldnt have, but I was so hungry, infact, my stomach is growling something terrible as I type. I assume its either b/c of the tightness of my band, or b/c I did not chew my food 20-30x like instructed. I never felt the pain in my stomach where the band is, but in my chest and left shoulder like I am having a heartattack! PLEASE TELL ME WHY?

Secondly, I am having this pain where my band is everytime I take a deep breath, and I am not sure why? Im not sure if the band slipped, or if I unknowingly got air into my band (the doc said dont let air into it), or what? Does anyone know what this means? Why it hurts? Has anyone experienced this?

Sometimes, I just feel like this was a waste, and I shouldnt have gone through it. Sometimes, I feel like it wasnt worth it, but if I can get through this rough patch, then next month, Ill be able to live normally. I just need support, and for sosmeone to tell me that if the things that Im doing (besides the cheating) are right or not.

I walk 30 mins a day, eat Soups, and drink fluids, and while I am not weak, I feel like I am losing my mind. Is this right?? Sometimes, I feel like crying.

Please help...

:huh:

Well, it is all pretty normal. For some it can take a good while for the swelling in your stomach to go down, that is why the liquid diet. The Heart attack feeling, I think, is because of the solids you are eating. That is what getting "stuck" feels like. Chewing your food really really well will help but sometimes it is more the size of the bite or how fast you eat it. I wonder if your Dr left any Fluid in your band after surgery?

I don't know what the pain is you are feeling when you take a deep breath. I doubt the band has slipped unless you have thrown up a lot.

It will get easier, and now that you get mushies that will help. Don't be afraid to call your Dr with any questions.

Good Luck to you!

Hello and welcome!

I remember being so hungry during the clear liquid stage that I was eyeballing my dog as a food source! It was horrible!

The pain you felt is most likely something getting stuck over the hole between the pouch and the lower stomach that is created by the band. When we are banded the surgeon anchors the band by pulling the stomach over it and placing a few stitches to hold it in place. We are put on liquids to allow time for those stitches to heal. Liquids will go right through the band. Adding solid food causes the upper pouch to grind and can pull on the stitches. By doing so, they could tear. Getting food stuck increases the risk of tearing the stitches.

The band is near the Vagus Nerve with runs to the shoulder. Many bandsters have pain in their left shoulder due to this nerve being stimulated by the band.

As to air in the band...my guess would be that he didn't want you drinking from a straw to bring too much air into your stomach which can cause a bit of bloat and discomfort.

Why it hurts when you take a deep breath? You had surgery? It seems minor, but your insides were filled with gas and moved around so a foreign object could be placed around your stomach. A tubing was run from that to the port which was sewn to your muscles. The body needs time to recover from all this. We downplay it, but it is a big deal. Give yourself time to heal before you say you regret your decision.

If you are still having the chest/shoulder pain, give your surgeon a call and tell them what happened. They can check your band placement and be sure nothing has slipped. If you weren't vomiting then you are most likely OK.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank You both for your encouragement, and kind words!! For a sec, I thought I was losing my mind, and was really regretting my discision! Now that my questions are answered, I am more at ease, and I now know why I was having pain...b/c of the solids I had taken bites of. I have definately slowed down, and stopped.

Im just going to take one day at a time...

Thank You both again!!!:rolleyes:

You're doing great......my surgeon isn't big on waiting too long before adding mushies and then full food. I had surgery on a Monday and on Wednesday I was eating fat free fried Beans (this is a staple for me!!). By the following Wednesday I was on full foods. You will find it hurts if you eat too much! I had my surgery on the 16 of the month and my we had our youngest son's b-day on the 24 - I tried eating a cupcake and thought I'd die.....tried drinking Water hoping it make it dissolve faster.....bad mistake - vomited it all. Don't worry too much about band slippage... we hear about it but I've never really known anyone personally that's had it!!! Not sure why some people do - but a large majority of us never had it.

You're doing great......my surgeon isn't big on waiting too long before adding mushies and then full food. I had surgery on a Monday and on Wednesday I was eating fat free fried Beans (this is a staple for me!!). By the following Wednesday I was on full foods. You will find it hurts if you eat too much! I had my surgery on the 16 of the month and my we had our youngest son's b-day on the 24 - I tried eating a cupcake and thought I'd die.....tried drinking Water hoping it make it dissolve faster.....bad mistake - vomited it all. Don't worry too much about band slippage... we hear about it but I've never really known anyone personally that's had it!!! Not sure why some people do - but a large majority of us never had it.

For me, liquids on top of something stuck starts the launch sequence! And it cannot be stopped. Many bandsters swear by papaya enzymes. You can get them in the supplements section of most stores. They are chewable and help breakdown the food quickly. I haven't tried them myself. Walking helps somehow. As does rocking back and forth. My hubby swears that making faces must help, too, because I make some doozies! blink.gif

I actually have used the drinking Water technique to bring the offending item back up. For me, it does it without retching, which is what my surgeon says is the biggest risk for a slippage. But of course, the best thing is to not get stuck in the first place, then if you do, to wait it out if you can. Another thing to try is small sips of pineapple juice. It has the same reported effect as papaya enzymes. It didn't work for me. Seemed a waste to open a can of juice to sip a few sips and then still be miserable. But some say it works very well.