Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am taking part of this free weight loss surgery give-away competition and every few days I remind people on my FB to vote for me. I have repeatedly told people to let me know if they do not want to receive messages from me. Pretty much everybody in my FB is a personal friend or a family member anyway. I only had this one friend (a female who used to be a police officer with me) that used a name of her gym as her username. Nonetheless, I did not know that anybody else had access to her FB account but it turns out her boyfriend, who apparently co-owns the gym with my former co-worker, did... I have never met the guy and he knows absolutely nothing about me! Yet, he sent me the below message as a response to my group reminder asking my friends to vote for me (I took out their names, just in case):

"TAKE US OFF YOUR LIST FOR THIS!!! THANK YOU WE DONT BELIEVE IN EASY WAY OUTS SURGERY!! THAT END UP BEING UNHEALTHEIR FOR YOU IN THE END! BOTTOM LINE JUST QUIT BEING LAZY AND DIET AND EXERCISE MAKE IT A LIFESTYLE NOT A JOB!!!!!! HOPE THIS GET'S THRU TO YOU!! THIS IS R NOT C!!! JUST DO IT!!

...And below is my reply to him... Deserved?

"Dear R,

Thank you for letting me know that you would not like to be on the list anymore. I had no idea that somebody else but C, who is my former co-worker from the police department, reads this account. If you had just asked me to take you off the list, I would have respectfully done so without any further reply except "done, thanks". However, since you decided to offer your "expert" opinion on weight loss, I felt inclined to respond to you...

Clearly you have not read my other e-mails or you would know that I very much believe in making diet and exercise a lifestyle. That is the very reason I want this surgery. It is not an easy way out as one has to commit to a rigorous pre-op and post-op diet lasting multiple weeks and then permanently change one's eating habits. Otherwise there is a serious risk of complications. It is simply a life-changing way to help (or force, if you like) people like me to make those permanent changes in eating habits. And as far as exercising... I love it and have no problems in that area. I have not always been obese and there are multiple reasons why I have become one during the recent years. One of them, without a question, is probably emotional eating. You, as a gym owner who gives out weight loss challenges that claim to be wholistic in their approach, should probably educate yourself on the complex nature of obesity if you truly want to help your clients. It is not as simple as "quit being lazy" (and there is NOTHING lazy about me by the way- what a stereotypical approach to someone with a weight problem) but you clearly are clueless about this.

Rendy, do all of us a favor and take some time to educate yourself about the topic you claim to be an expert on! My best to you & C! Henriikka"

You're a better person than me.... there would have been some F bombs and telling him to do somethings that are anatomically is impossible. I can't handle disrespect...unsure.gif

Wow, you were classy!lol I think you handled very well. I'd like to see a response from him..if he's brave enough to give one.HA!

What a douche! My response would have had more insults and expletives in it!

well handled, and while in my head I would have down right ugly and rude, I think the best way to handle these situations is exactly how you did. Kill them with kindness. I work in a very confrontational/difficult job (auto claims adjuster) and have learned this over the years. Well done and good luck to you.

Very well done. That, from a business owner? Yikes!

You handled that very well. I would have been ready to cuss him out.

Thank you ladies!!!! :rolleyes: I was fuming at his ignorance and trust me, did want to say a few selected words to him. He obliviously has NO CLUE. He did get a quick response in before I removed and blocked him from my FB friends. He claimed that the original message was not from him (he supposedly had left his FB account open) but yet, he had to try to convince me how educated he in fact was about obesity / weight loss. I don't believe it for a moment that the first message was not from him as well. The second reply arrived less than 10 minutes after the original (immediately after my reply to him) and was written in all capital letters like the first one, and with the same grammar and spelling errors. Also, some random person would have not gone through the trouble telling me that the message was not from my former co-worker (as not to get me mad at her). He just was not expecting me to "bark" at him and when I did, he backed down.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies. I knew you guys would understand my reaction to him! Sending you all love and luck in your personal journeys! Henriikka

I thought your response was perfect!! I LOVE the gym and especially group fitness classes. I (or anyone else I could talk out of going there) definately would not be giving his business any of my money. Like you explained, I think we all know diet and exercixe are imortant. I have been going to the gym, doing weight loss challenges and trying different ways to place in them for 3 years. All to lose and gain the same 25-30 lbs. After 6 months of being so strict in my diet I tell myself I will have 1 cheat day which always turns into months of cheat days. Even still going to the gym I cant create a deficit of calories on most days if I am "treating" myself. I didn't tell anyone at the gym, clients, trainers or instructors that I was having this surgery. My first time back at the gym will be tomorrow after a week of not being there...and I am so excited. I had the band surgery 1 week ago so I am just in the beginning stages of this choice but I will defend my right to have my choice respected to the end. Thanks for sharing your post.

What an ignorant, insensitive, self-serving assh*le! I feel sorry for the clients he services! Having LapBand surgery is not for wimps!! It takes more dedication, planning, determination, and stick-to-itness than anything I know. What a coward he is and how brave you are!

Please let us know if you win!!!:)

Evil thought just came to mind...post his letter on his gym's FB or web page! Let his possible clients see how caring he is! laugh.gif

Thank you so much for your reactions. Loved them all! Cocoabean, what a marvelous evil idea indeed! Miniatures- could not agree with you more! Good luck returning to gym. You will do great!