Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

whey protein isolate vs. concentrates

My surgeon's office recommends 100% whey Protein isolate. I'm trying to understand the difference in Protein isolate vs protein concentrates. The main difference seems to be that the isolate is more easily digested.

During my pre-op diet, I'm supposed to have 3-4 Protein shakes daily along with other liquids. I haven't found a flavor of 100% whey protein isolate that I like yet, despite having tried five or six. I do like Pure Protein brand vanilla Creme, but it's made from protein concentrates. If I have one or two of those per day along with the others being the isolate, will that be ok?

I've looked up info on google but there's so much info out there, some of it conflicting, and some of it geared towards bodybuilders rather than WLS patients, that it's hard to understand it all!

Thanks in advance.

(I start my liquid diet on June 5, procedure scheduled for June 16th.)

Protein is protein :) Find one you enjoy.

If the original posters doctor said whey isolate they don't agree with Protein is Protein. I buy Gold Standard Double chocolate, and Dymatize Gourmet vanilla I believe they are whey isolate. I buy mine at the Vitamin Shoppe and find the staff is very knowledgeable about their product.

Never said the poster/doctor agreed, however studies show that well..protein is protein :) Just like a calorie is a calorie, a carb is a carb, a fat is a fat, a sugar is a sugar, etc, etc etc.

If people want to think differently, that's fine. But if that causes one to eat foods they don't like then so be it; I think that's silly.

@ OP. I've taken whey isolate, concentrate, casein, and a blend of all 3. There truly is no difference. If you'd like some links/studies to prove what I am saying, feel free to PM me.

My doctor says the same thing try the syntax nectar they habe lots of good flavors my favorite is the capacinno but lits of different flavors

My surgeon's office recommends 100% whey Protein isolate. I'm trying to understand the difference in Protein isolate vs protein concentrates. The main difference seems to be that the isolate is more easily digested.

some info on the 'whey protein vs isolate whey protein' - > http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/whey-protein-isolate-concentrate.htm

I made a mistake and got a ton of protein shakes and powders... Needed powder for pre-op & post-opp , that is 3 weeks total. I am getting all protein I need from food. NOT everyone is the same, but i do belive getting all your daily needs from regular foods is the best.

Never said the poster/doctor agreed, however studies show that well..protein is Protein :) Just like a calorie is a calorie, a carb is a carb, a fat is a fat, a sugar is a sugar, etc, etc etc.

If people want to think differently, that's fine. But if that causes one to eat foods they don't like then so be it; I think that's silly.

@ OP. I've taken whey isolate, concentrate, casein, and a blend of all 3. There truly is no difference. If you'd like some links/studies to prove what I am saying, feel free to PM me.

I'd agree that for most purposes, a Protein is a protein, but there are some differences according to the forms that Proteins come in. The stomach digests some Proteins more quickly than others. In terms of protein powders, casein digests slower than whey. If I were to choose a Protein Powder to use immediately after exercise, I would use whey isolate. I would also opt for something other than casein if I were feeling bloated. Also, proteins vary according to amino acid composition. Anyhow, the overall function of the various protein powders is the same and the effect on muscle build likely similar.

And, not all carbs and fats are the same. For our purposes, differences among carbs are not always important, but the same could not be said for fats. In terms of carbs, there are monosaccharides and disaccharides (simple carbohydrates), and polysaccharides and oligosaccharides (complex), which are monosaccharide polymers. Some carbohydrates are digested more quickly than others, also depending on the food source and preparation. Fiber, for instance, is a carbohydrate, but it is not digested by the stomach. So, Fiber, while offering the benefits of roughage, will not cause a change in blood glucose levels. Most importantly, fats are also very different depending on chemical composition and absorption by the body. They differ in energy content and some fats are essential for the human body, while others are not.

I'd agree that for most purposes, a Protein is a Protein, but there are some differences according to the forms that Proteins come in. The stomach digests some Proteins more quickly than others. In terms of protein powders, casein digests slower than whey. If I were to choose a Protein Powder to use immediately after exercise, I would use whey isolate. I would also opt for something other than casein if I were feeling bloated. Also, proteins vary according to amino acid composition. Anyhow, the overall function of the various protein powders is the same and the effect on muscle build likely similar.

And, not all carbs and fats are the same. For our purposes, differences among carbs are not always important, but the same could not be said for fats. In terms of carbs, there are monosaccharides and disaccharides (simple carbohydrates), and polysaccharides and oligosaccharides (complex), which are monosaccharide polymers. Some carbohydrates are digested more quickly than others, also depending on the food source and preparation. Fiber, for instance, is a carbohydrate, but it is not digested by the stomach. So, fiber, while offering the benefits of roughage, will not cause a change in blood glucose levels. Most importantly, fats are also very different depending on chemical composition and absorption by the body. They differ in energy content and some fats are essential for the human body, while others are not.

While that may be true, in the end a fat is still a fat, carb is still a carb. I said nothing about digestion, glucose, etc etc etc. A simple carb and a complex carb is still a carb. My body isn't screaming and yelling "Hey reverie you just ate "simple carbs," get ready to pack on the pounds!"Glucose levels have very little to do with weight-loss. Just like the average person pays no mind to GI anymore, or at least shouldn't. While I agree that some fats are "better" than others, they're all still fats.

Carb is a carb; Fat is a fat. end of. We can agree to disagree.

I don't know if this helps at all (and it's probably too pedantic for you) but I found the chart at the bottom of this page helpful for nothing the differences between the two: http://www.vitalady.com/protein.htm

I find that the 100% whey doesn't dissolve very well. I use whey/soy mixture. I buy the chocolate Meijer brand but if you don't live in Michigan, Ohio or Indiana you aren't likely to find it. I'm sure there are other brands tho.

While that may be true, in the end a fat is still a fat, carb is still a carb. I said nothing about digestion, glucose, etc etc etc. A simple carb and a complex carb is still a carb. My body isn't screaming and yelling "Hey reverie you just ate "simple carbs," get ready to pack on the pounds!"Glucose levels have very little to do with weight-loss. Just like the average person pays no mind to GI anymore, or at least shouldn't. While I agree that some fats are "better" than others, they're all still fats.

Carb is a carb; Fat is a fat. end of. We can agree to disagree.

Your weight-loss is inspirational and I congratulate you, but I suppose we will have to "agree to disagree," especially about fats. You'll also have to agree to disagree with the science of chemistry. Various fats are quite different in their chemical structures and in how our body responds to them. "Fat is a fat. end of." I'm not sure how writing "end of" settles the issue of whether "a fat is just a fat." Perhaps it just gives the feeling of finality. You now say that you never discussed "digestion," but what other process were you thinking of when judging whether a digested substance is the same as another? Aside from chemical composition, which you surely agree differs, how foods are digested and used by the body are the basis of whether they are different from one another. In terms of food, this is the one process underlying all others. Fats vary also in their energy content. This has direct relevance to weight-loss and health. I'm not sure how you're attempting to argue otherwise.

I never said that simple or complex carbs differ noticeably in how much they impact glucose levels. You've attempted to knock down an argument that I haven't set up. I said that Fiber causes no difference in glucose levels, whereas other forms of carbs, both simple and complex typically do. The main reason to predominantly eat complex carbs is because such foods are in a less processed form and possess more fiber. You may feel that how a food impacts blood glucose levels has no significance to weight-loss, but I'm sure you're not arguing that they have no real significance to a segment of the population.

Again, I agreed that it probably makes little difference whether one uses casein, whey isolate, or whey concentrate for weight-loss. The considerations that should be important to those choosing between them are how easily digestible they are and how quickly the person needs their Protein to be digested. If a person is either needing Protein immediately after a work-out or if they suffer from bloating, this may affect their decision. People here are discussing which protein powders they should take for the best digestibility and effect, in general, not solely for weight-loss.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I also agree with the general spirit of your post, which I take to be that dieters shouldn't get caught up in the details of the food they are eating; if they follow common-sense and consistently reduce their calorie, fat, or carb intake, they will likely be successful with their weight-loss. Dieters who become preoccupied with this kind of carb versus that may be behaving impulsively and may be unable to maintain their regime. However, if they are concerned with health in general (such as cholesterol levels), with practical matters such as bloating, or if they want to make their weight-loss regime as efficient as possible, then adjusting their eating according to the details can be helpful.