Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little update on me

Hmm, there's no lapband lounge anymore, so here seemed as good a place as any. This isnt lapband related, but so many have offered me messages of support in the past few months, I thought I'd let you all know that treatment is finished!

I've been in hosptial this week with another suspected bowel obstruction, which cleared without any problems, just a very sore tummy for a day or two. I've had about five of these episodes, and we've never been able to find any physical obstruction such as an adhesion or stricure, nor any food obstruction blocking my stoma so we're fairly sure now that these painful episodes are a side effect of chemo for me. As we all know, chemo does affect your digestive system quite badly and I've had all the nausea etc. If you ever want to SEE what it does to your body, its fascinating to have a stoma, which afterall is simply the inside of your intestines sticking out of your abdominal wall. Mine went purple, grotesquely lumpy and swollen and had ulcers all over it on Sunday and sure enough, by Sunday night, i'm doubled over and heading into emergency to be admitted for bowel rest. As my oncologist pointed out, this was no doubt what the entire inside of my digestive tract looked like at this point in time, so this time, given I have only four chemo sessions to go he decided we'd just finish up early - afterall they got ALL the cancer at surgery, there was no lymph node involvement and this last six months of chemo has been precuationary only. I am beyond thrilled that I can finally end this awful cycle of nausea, depression and heading back every week, just as I'm starting to feel better, to poison myself all over again. Wine and coffee will finally taste good again! I will not have to head out for my run feeling like I'm moving through thigh deep water! I can train for another 10K event. I dont have to baby myself, take it easy, apologise to my DH for not feeling up to helping in the garden, with the painting or even heading out to a movie on a Friday night.

So I now have about 10 glorious weeks to myself, my body is mine again for the time being. I intend to pick up the exercise beyond maintenance levels, I've gotten a wonderful casual job (since I wasnt able to teach this year) working with a company that does incursions into primary schools teaching gynastics to the junior grades, and I'll be able to do some casual relief teaching, get of the house and no longer have a trip to the shops for a coffee as the most exciting point of my day! Thankfully I've gotten through this with a headful of healthy hair, I look well and although the doctors have been very concerned at my low weight a few times, its held fairly steady and i'm a little bit too thin but not gaunt or emaciated or sick looking. Its actually been great to have an unfilled band and to learn that I have changed, that I'm not the overeater I was and that my motivation to look after myself is not all coming from that little bit of silicone but that I can actually proudly claim a lot of credit for it.

I'll have my ileostomy closed in about 10 weeks time and it will be a bit of a challenge, it can be difficult to get a predictable and manageable bowel function going again and I'm very apprehensive about possible incontinence for a while, dietary issues, whether I'l be able to go out for a run without wearing a damn diaper, all sorts of scary stuff, but its also entirely possible that I'll be right as rain within a month or two and I have resolved to stay OFF the internet searching out horror stories. I'm blessed that financially I can work when I want to and dont have to return until I'm confident that my bowels wont be a worry to me every day.

So all in all, I've nearly got my life back, thanks for listening, it felt really good to write that down. Telling others kind of makes it real!

I've been wondering about you- that's great news! I'm so glad you get to have your body to yourself again.

You mentioned being worried about having your ileostomy closed. I just wanted to pipe up and say that my father, due to undiagnosed Crohn's disease that caused his lower intestine to rupture, has had an ostomy bag for 8 years now and he'll have it the rest of his life. He hates it, and I'm sure he'd love the opportunity to go back to "normal" and I'm sure that once you get all of your kinks worked out, you'll be glad too!

Wow!! It def. seems like you are on your way. You are truly an inspiration!!! I am so happy that you are getting your life back. Here's to good health and a GREAT big hug.

Such good news. I am glad to hear an update from you. I have though of you often and wished you well. You have walked thru the fire and come out the other side. God bless.

Jachut:

Glad to hear that things are going well with you and that you're done with the damn Chemo.

Hope your ten weeks fly by and that the next step goes well too.

Sue

Such good news!! Glad you are doing so well...

Such good news!! Glad you are doing so well...

God is goooood. I am glad that you are well.

Hurray! Jacquie! God is good! Karen

Glad to hear that the end is in sight and that so far things have gone well. I am sure that the past couple of months must have been hell.

Enjoy getting your life back.

All the best.

Lynn

Yipee Jachut for conquering that evil cancer! My hope for you is to continue to feel better and get plenty of rest and get back to feeling "normal". Hopefully within the next few months you will be able to do that without too many speed bumps along the way.

You have definitely figured out working with the lap band and making positive changes in your life to keep yourself healthy. I'm sure it had alot to do with your ability to overcome your cancer and help with your recovery.

Thanks for the update to all of us and God bless you! I'll keep hoping that all continues to go well and that you've got it kicked for good!

What wonderful news! I think about you often as I think you post great things and are always positive to others. You're simply amazing and will soon be free of all the excess inconveniences and pains that you have been experiencing. Just think your body is yours now, how exciting! Keep up the positive thinking and just continue to get better and better! I'm in your corner praying for you!!! :rolleyes: