Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op and cheating... anyone else in my boat?

So I am 3 weeks post op and am on to solids. I have been very good with my chewing and drinking, etc. The only problem I am having is cheating and testing the waters!! Tonight we went out to dinner and I had eggsalad on toast. Had the eggsalad with one slice of toast left the other 3.... decided I would try and eat and onion ring... went down fine... maybe had 4 more through out the night.. now i decided that I needed to cheat again and eat left overs... fries. What is wrong with me.. I am the way I am b/c of the way I eat... I did this to change Why am I cheating... :( Kinda depressed and mad at myself!

Well, it happened. But you just have to get up tomorrow and start over. You can do it, if your hungry, eat but make good choices. Snitching onion rings or fries once in a while... no big deal, but if you don't make healthy choices on a pretty consistant basis ~ this process will be a whole lot harder!

Good Luck!

The first 3 months with my band I had no restriction at all. I could eat anything that I wanted. It was really hard those first months without a fill that would restrict what I could eat. But even now after a year out, junk food seems to be the easiest food to go down. You have to change your way of thinking and eating with the band. It is 90% mental. If and when I cheat, I just start fresh the next day. You will do fine, just make good food choices.

Wow!!! Did the same thing tonight!! banded on 4/22 and totally cheated tonight and did not even know I could. Everything went down fine. Yesterday strawberries would not even go down smooth so why did pizza tonight. I did this to prohibit eating and curb my intake. Soooo disappointed with myself! I guess it all depends on the person and what we can tolerate. Just so disappointed, was hoping I would go without a fill for at least 6 months, now I'm contemplating next week if this continues!

Hope you get back on track tomorrow!

Kelly

So I am 3 weeks post op and am on to solids. I have been very good with my chewing and drinking, etc. The only problem I am having is cheating and testing the waters!! Tonight we went out to dinner and I had eggsalad on toast. Had the eggsalad with one slice of toast left the other 3.... decided I would try and eat and onion ring... went down fine... maybe had 4 more through out the night.. now i decided that I needed to cheat again and eat left overs... fries. What is wrong with me.. I am the way I am b/c of the way I eat... I did this to change Why am I cheating... :( Kinda depressed and mad at myself!

The band or any gastric surgery does not fix your head. only you can do that. WE are all addicted to food the very same way a person is addicted to drugs or alcohol. there is no cure only management. you have to totally look at food as a means to stay alive and not for comfort or to make you happy. I am working on it and fail on a regular basis but have to keep trying. the Band is only a tool to help you with your Quest. hang in there you can do it.

dman

For sure tommorow is another day, an opportunity to make bette choices. Good choices will be easier once you have restriction. It took me 3 fills to feel any restriction. For now, I would focus on eating the right things (I reccomend high protien, low fat, low carb) even if your portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction. Excersise is also something think about once your doctor gives you the ok. Start out slow and gradually increase your duration/intensity. I found it really tough to start, took me about 3-4 months post op, but it has now become a matter of routine. Some days it actually feels good. Hope this helps. Take care.

For sure tommorow is another day, an opportunity to make bette choices. Good choices will be easier once you have restriction. It took me 3 fills to feel any restriction. For now, I would focus on eating the right things (I reccomend high protien, low fat, low carb) even if your portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction. Excersise is also something think about once your doctor gives you the ok. Start out slow and gradually increase your duration/intensity. I found it really tough to start, took me about 3-4 months post op, but it has now become a matter of routine. Some days it actually feels good. Hope this helps. Take care.

That is even harder for me than the food choices, I HATE to exercise but I will say it gets easier the more you do it and it helps in many more ways than just burning some calories.

I haven't gotten the band yet (11 more days!) but I would think that you don't have restriction in the band and need a fill. People that seem to have restriction feel full with very little. Also, don't set yourself up for failure-if you know a meal comes with fries or onion rings ask for a salad instead of the fries. Don't bring the crap home either-doggie bags are only for good stuff! You CAN do this- you own it,worked for it, and now you need to steer this is the right direction. Good luck to you !:)

Personally I was'nt even on solids at 3 weeks. A former poster is right the band does'nt fix our heads. Once on solids I was buying crunchy honey roasted Peanut Butter. Had to stop buying it all togeter because I was eating it out of the jar.

Personally I was'nt even on solids at 3 weeks. A former poster is right the band does'nt fix our heads. Once on solids I was buying crunchy honey roasted Peanut Butter. Had to stop buying it all togeter because I was eating it out of the jar.

I think it is so important to keep the "junk" out of the house. Very good advice.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I have no restriction. I can chug Water and those ucky protien shakes. My problem is that I am such a picky eater (that is when it is not junk food or carbs) so for me I pretty much stopped eating cause I do not like my options. I have one protien shake in the morning and then do not eat anything else the rest of the day. Maybe at night I may have some tuna salad and I eat it with a fork. Other days I may just have two protien shakes and that is it. I do not think that I have had more then 600 cal's in one given day since I have been banded. For some reason I find it easier to just not eat then to figure out what to eat. I am so afraid that if I cheat once I will never stop. Isn't funny how our minds have so much control over us.

You cant just NOT eat... you need to atleast break your shakes down throughout the day... you need the nutrients in your body, you need to make your digestive system and metabolism work...

my biggest problem as a chef is exactly what your talking about... when I am busy i always forget to eat and that means i might go throught a day and not actually put any food or drink in my body until 3,4 maybe even 6pm at night and now my body doesnt know what to do with the food... the nutritionist i spoke with told me that your body will educate itself and with bad habits like that store the food as fat in your system because it doesnt know when it is going to get more...

try to eat more throughout the day, atleast drink the shakes, my goal is to do 3-4 shakes a day and a sensible meal at night with the family...

Good Luck, we all know its tough...

I am 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I have no restriction. I can chug Water and those ucky protien shakes. My problem is that I am such a picky eater (that is when it is not junk food or carbs) so for me I pretty much stopped eating cause I do not like my options. I have one protien shake in the morning and then do not eat anything else the rest of the day. Maybe at night I may have some tuna salad and I eat it with a fork. Other days I may just have two protien shakes and that is it. I do not think that I have had more then 600 cal's in one given day since I have been banded. For some reason I find it easier to just not eat then to figure out what to eat. I am so afraid that if I cheat once I will never stop. Isn't funny how our minds have so much control over us.

I was banded on Monday 5-9-11 and told that I need to stay on a liquid diest until I meet with the Dr on the 20th... Its impossible, not only can I not get enough liquids in me from the swelling but I am truly starving... I am probably getting around 400-600 calories in a day right now and I find the cravings are worse then the two week diet before the surgery... I have been cheating and trying the greek (thick) yogurts, icecream, and others items like this to help me out, but i am really not sure if this is hurting me or not, things seem to go down smoothly, but am i creating problems with the size of my pouch, the stiches holding the band in place, and whatever other crazy idea my mind can dream up... Today i blew off my kids game because i am depressed on just not sure what is going on with me inside... I am not sure if i am right but i think i can appreciate were you coming from and only say its going to take stamina right now to get through this... as much as the shakes arent that great as long as i have some in me i dont have any cravings, but as soon as they burn off there better be a lock on the fridge...

You most likley have no restriction untill your 3rd or 4th fill. I totally agree with you on the eating however you can do that for long term and eventually you will eat stuff you should not. you are also not getting the nutrition you need to be healthy. for you I would suggest you make a plan on what to eat for a Breakfast, lunch and dinner. then eat the same thing for a few weeks. get into a habbit. by having a fixed menu, you dont have to decide what to eat and will not be temped to make bad choises. then slowly add a few different meal options until you get well into your weight lose journey.

when you start to feel the sucess and look at food as needed to live instead of comfort you will be on the path of food rehab and recovery.

You most likley have no restriction untill your 3rd or 4th fill. I totally agree with you on the eating however you can do that for long term and eventually you will eat stuff you should not. you are also not getting the nutrition you need to be healthy. for you I would suggest you make a plan on what to eat for a Breakfast, lunch and dinner. then eat the same thing for a few weeks. get into a habbit. by having a fixed menu, you dont have to decide what to eat and will not be temped to make bad choises. then slowly add a few different meal options until you get well into your weight lose journey.

when you start to feel the sucess and look at food as needed to live instead of comfort you will be on the path of food rehab and recovery.

Getting into a routine with your eating is a great idea. I don't eat exactly the same, but do have a limited menu. I eat lots of lean protien and veggies. eggs for breakfast, maybe with some lite sausage. I love perdue perfect portions chicken and marinated pork loin. I also eat flavored chicken sausage and lots of fish. I snack on nuts (1/4 cup) and cheese sticks. For fruit I eat berries, they are lower in carbs than other fruit. I buy them frozen since they are cheaper, and it's just me so I have trouble finishing a container before they start to go bad. Good luck!