Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only on day 1 of pre-op diet and already hungry/bored...HELP!!

Ok, so this is turning out to be harder than I expected.

Does anyone have any recommendation on how to spice up the Protein shakes?

My pre-op diet consists of 3 Protein Shakes (25+g protein/less 8g sugar) and then a basic healthy meal for dinner (think: chicken breast, salad, veggies, piece of fruit). So I do realize I'm fortunate to at least have one regular meal involved, but I have to say I've only had 2 of my chocolate whey Protein Shakes and I'm already hungry and bored with the taste.

This morning i put ground coffee in the shake, which didn't work out as I hoped, as I ended up chewing on coffee as I drank it...however, now I'm realizing that may not be such a bad thing to keep mixing up the flavor a bit. I've even thought about putting pepper in the shake for an added flavor. Any suggestions??

It's going to be a long two weeks!!

Can you put some fruit in your shake, like banana or avocado, strawberries, blueberries, orange, stuff like that and blend the hell out of it! I did and it made a huge difference AND I lost 10 pounds during the whole process. Kinda like a Protein fruit smoothie, ,its better for you than all that processed junk,,lol.

biggrin.gif

Use instant coffee rather than ground coffee. Other things I do is use Davinci sugar free Syrup - they have many flavors which are good to spice things up. I also did strawberry Protein Shakes mixed with crystal lite lemonade...it was good to break up the chocolat shakes.< /p>

Hi I'm on day 12 of basically the same diet as you-- one small meal like chicken and veggies/salad and Protein shakes. I haven't been sticking to it completely just out of hunger, but the when I did stray, I kept it low carb. Except on Sunday-- where I just went haywire. For my meal I've been having baked chicken and then I sautee peppers and onions and pour that on top. I've been using a little olive oil to sautee (even though I'm not supposed to, but it has 0 carbs). But you could use Water to stick to the diet. Also on a list of "free" foods is dark green kinds of lettuce. There is a balsamic vinaigrette dressing with 0 calories and 1 carb that Maple Farms makes and it's really not bad. So you could try to fill up on lettuce and use that kind of dressing. Also sugar free Jello is on my list of free foods. It's tough, but as you get closer to your surgery date it gets easier. Try to focus on getting all your Water and Protein in and occupy your mind. Good luck!

Oh also, if you're looking for something other than choc. shakes, I've been drinking Syntrax Nectar Protein. It's made out of whey protein isolate (my nutritionist said that's the best kind) and it's 100 cal., 0 carb, and 23 g. protein per scoop. I like the Roadside Lemonade and the Pink Grapefruit flavors. I bought them at Vitamin Shoppe and you can return them there if you don't like the taste. I tried the vanilla Torte which was nasty, and the Fuzzy Navel which was too peachy for me. Good Luck!

I use the vanilla whey Protein Shakes, and I put a bananna in mine. I'm not allowed any meals other than healthy request Soup, and there are only 3 kinds to pick from. I was getting burned out, so I tried some different spices that the doctor said I could use, and it really helped. I've added a few drops of tabasco to my soup it changed the flavor, and really tasted good. My doctor said I could use it in moderation becouse it does have salt in it, but he said a few drops would be ok. Good luck!

At least you get to have 1 small meal...I am on 4 Protein Shakes a day and that is it. Day 6 and I'm really bumming. I would just love to have some steamed broccoli or even a small salad. I dont really care for sweets that much so drinking 4 sweet things a day is really not enjoyable. I'm having some chicken broth...it helps a bit. I can at least pretend its chicken soup!

Syntrax Nectars are the bomb. If you don't have a Vitamin Shoppe near you, contact the company (www.si03.com) and ask about samples. Then if you decide you like them, the cheapest place I've found to order them from is www.netrition.com

DaVinci and Torani s/f syrups are great for adding flavor. DaVinci can also be ordered from netrition.com and Torani you can get good deals on the s/f at Amazon.com

At least you get to have 1 small meal...I am on 4 Protein shakes a day and that is it. Day 6 and I'm really bumming. I would just love to have some steamed broccoli or even a small salad. I dont really care for sweets that much so drinking 4 sweet things a day is really not enjoyable. I'm having some chicken broth...it helps a bit. I can at least pretend its chicken soup!

Jen, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (www.unjury.com) makes a Protein Drink that is chicken Soup flavored. It's really pretty good. Can only get Unjury online.

Go on ebay and type in MUSCLE MILK. MUSCLE MILK LIGHT will also come up. That's what you want The Lady that I deal with usually has strawberry Milkshake on for $5.99 a jug ( that's cheap, and,,, it's good stuff) Just look for the price, and you will find her, also, sometimes she has other flavors like chocolate Peanut Butter blend. She also combines shipping, so you can't go wrong.

While your on the site,, look around, and see the different flavors, and prices. Sometimes you get lucky and someone is selling something at a reasonable price. My advice is if you see it buy it because you may not get that chance again. (DON"T BUY THERE chocolate, IT'S LOUSEY).

There chocolate milk is excellent.

Have fun shopping, Shirley.

Thanks to all of the replies!

I know, I do hate to complain, as I know I could have it worse by not getting any dinner.

But really I appreciate all the feedback...these are good tips, I should look in to some different flavors I can add or crystal lite, etc. Good idea!!

This morning I weighed and lost 3lbs the first day, so that helped motivate me a bit.

But today was kinda more of the same...once I get to dinner, I'm fine and feel much better...but have just been so fatigued and weak during the day until that point.

I did however realize today that I have the option to blend my shakes with nonfat yogurt or skim milk (i was just using water!) and that has kinda changed my life...I just had one with nonfat raspberry yogurt this evening, and it was so delicious! And I also realized I can mix up when I have what...so I'm thinking I might do a fruit in the afternoon, and save the third shake until the end of the day.

Thanks again for all of the support!

I know, I do hate to complain, as I know I could have it worse by not getting any dinner.

But really I appreciate all the feedback...these are good tips, I should look in to some different flavors I can add or crystal lite, etc. Good idea!!

This morning I weighed and lost 3lbs the first day, so that helped motivate me a bit.

But today was kinda more of the same...once I get to dinner, I'm fine and feel much better...but have just been so fatigued and weak during the day until that point.

I did however realize today that I have the option to blend my shakes with nonfat yogurt or skim milk (i was just using water!) and that has kinda changed my life...I just had one with nonfat raspberry yogurt this evening, and it was so delicious! And I also realized I can mix up when I have what...so I'm thinking I might do a fruit in the afternoon, and save the third shake until the end of the day.

Just make sure to read the labels on the yogurt.. some of the nonfat yogurts have TONS of sugar. If your doc wants you to limit sugars, you'll need to take those into account.

Lots to learn on this journey!! :)

Does your Dr. have you on Vitamins? I take FLINTSTONE COMPLETE with CHOLINE. I laughed when my surgeon said that. He explained that they were excellent Vitamins, and we need the choline. So I do around 4 a day, and I feel great. Sometimes when I get Hungry, I will chew my 4 vitamins, and that takes away the hunger.

I used to drink the Herbalife shakes, and a good friend suggested adding the powder SF Jello pudding mix to the shake mix. My favorite recipe was called Wedding Cake shake. It had vanilla light soy milk, ice, vanilla Protein mix, 1 Tbsp SF Cheesecake pudding MIX, and 1 Tbsp SF vanilla pudding mix. You blend all of those together in a blender and it was really good. I actually looked forward to it. You can mix SF chocolate pudding, chocolate Protein mix, chocolate light soy milk and a tablespoon of Peanut Butter and ice and it tastes kind of like a reeses shake....if you use your imagination :)

Make sure you read all the labels though....this was not anything that was used for anything to do with the lap band, I just thought maybe you could check out the labels to see if it's something that will fit in with your regiment.

Let me know if it's something you can do. I am waiting to hear if I can get banded on either the 8th or 10th of June....so my pre op diet is in the distant future.

Good Luck!!

Marie

Ok, so this is turning out to be harder than I expected.

Does anyone have any recommendation on how to spice up the Protein Shakes?

My pre-op diet consists of 3 Protein Shakes (25+g protein/less 8g sugar) and then a basic healthy meal for dinner (think: chicken breast, salad, veggies, piece of fruit). So I do realize I'm fortunate to at least have one regular meal involved, but I have to say I've only had 2 of my chocolate whey protein shakes and I'm already hungry and bored with the taste.

This morning i put ground coffee in the shake, which didn't work out as I hoped, as I ended up chewing on coffee as I drank it...however, now I'm realizing that may not be such a bad thing to keep mixing up the flavor a bit. I've even thought about putting pepper in the shake for an added flavor. Any suggestions??

It's going to be a long two weeks!!

Good point about the sugar, Melissannde! I did take a look at the sugar content in the yogurt and wondered if it is too much, but the packet from the RD unfortunately doesn't specify anything other than making it nonfat. I'll have to call her tomorrow and check.

And Shirley, yes, I'm taking Flintstones too! Although I'll have to take a look and see if it complete with the choline. I do agree, chewing them did help take a little edge off when hungry.

Good tips Marie...sounds pretty delicious! I don't think I can get that fancy with my shakes during the pre-op diet, but probably do more of those kinds of things after surgery.

Again, thanks for all of the support and tips...I can't imagine doing this without the support of this forum!