Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dh Is Trying To Convince Me To Get Gastric Balloon...

I don't know if this would do anything to convince you one way or the other, but my dr. has told me that a lot of people find the balloon extremely uncomfortable and want it removed, whereas the lapband doesn't cause this discomfort. I can't explain what he means when he says the balloon is extremely "uncomfortable" as I never really considered it, as it is kind of like taking diet pills for 6 mo., then going off them, and as we all know gaining back the weight we have lost or more.

Maybe you could do some further research on both in order to make up your mind. I hope this helps you.

Thank You everyone. Do not worry, my mind is made up...the balloon doesn't tempt me one bit!

I've decided to limited my discussions with dh about this. I mean I don't even have a date yet. He did go with me to the doc and he totally trust him, so that is a big plus. He really wishes I didnt need to do any of this. He thinks I make poor food choices and sholud just stop.

The other day I had him take the kids to play on some rides while I did the grocery shopping. I past the bakery and couldn't resist when I saw brownies and chochalte mousse cake. I am so tired of arab sweets and really missed some american treats and picked up two pieces of both. When I was almost finished I spotted some Reeses vcups and put 1 pack (of 3) in the basket. Low and behold who walks in but him and the kids. He looks in the cart and says ."put this stuff back. You don't need surgury you need to just stop buying junk."

I was livid. I wanted to cry. Better yet I now know why kids throw tantums in the store. I was not going to embarrass myself so I just remained calm. Once I got some composure, I told him that I know he is trying to help but I didnt like how it was done. I said it is stuff like that that made me start hoarding food as a kid because my mother wouldnt allow me to have seconds but let my brother and sister who were not chubby. She also didn't allow any junk food in the house so I would hide it in my drawers (and still do). He said, ok you can have the reeses cups. i wanted to say I dont need you to tell me what I can have...but the morbidly obese person in me went skipping over to the candy isle to get me a pack...

I can feel the guilt and shame that you felt when you were "caught" in the grocery store and my heart goes out to you. Kabeerah, there's no doubt in my mind that the band will help you, but please remember that there is a major amount of behavior modification involved to make it work. You need to make sure you're mentally ready for the challenge. Some counseling might help you with your hoarding issues. The band is great at restricting most foods, but there are other foods (ice cream, sweets) that for most people go right through. So, good food choices are a key to success.

I recommend reading as much as you can on this website - you'll find it's very helpful in answering any questions. You can also feel free to PM me at any time if you want to talk. :)

Oh Anne, thank you so much, for your concern. Actually, if I have a tool that works like I pray the band does, then hoarding will not be an issue. I believe I am mentally ready. I have done Atkins in the past and have had great results. The problem is that for the past 7 years, I have been pregnant and/or nursing...really they overlap each other. I like the band because it doesn't interfere with pregnancy or nursing and even if I do not lose during those times I may not gain much if anything at all.

Thanks again.

Be careful, you shouldn't get pregnant when you are still in the losing phase of the band. The Dr will unfill you so the baby gets adequate nutrition and so it is kind of counter productive. That said, I hoarded food most of my life. Mom told me Snacks were only for my bro and sis who weren't fat. I rebelled and ate peanut M&Ms and soda at lunchtime for years, and then when I got home (and before she got there) I'd gorge so I wasn't starving after she served me fat-girl portions for dinner. Psychologists say you spend the rest of your life recovering from your childhood and I believe it!

O Kristi, I think you misunderstood me. I do not plan on getting pregnant anytime soon. However, I am still nursing. What I was saying is that I am always doing one or the other and sometimes both. This is why I am unable to do the weight lost phase of The Atkins Diet. I could do Maintance while pregnant or nursing but with my body not being in ketosis I find it difficult to control my portions and desires for carbs. This is one of the things I like about the band...I can still nurse and use it (I nurse my children for two whole years...plus!

To the person wondering about the balloon. I had the gastric balloon for 6 months and lost 45 pounds. That is within the healthy weight loss guidelines of 1.5-2 pounds per week. I have maintained that weight since having the balloon removed over 8 months ago. Finally I am at my goal weight, after years of dieting with unsuccessful results.

I can maintain the weight because I am now light enough to run without my knees hurting, and I look great in all the new clothes I bought. Every day I need to remind myself of good eating habits. I was brought up with terrible eating habits and will probably never be at a place where I don't have to worry about what I eat. Honestly I don't think that anyone who has suffered being overweight will ever be "reformed" fully. Also, most of the skinny people I know (who have always been skinny) are very concious of their food choices and intentionally make sure they are not over-eating.

You can lose weight with a lap band but still eat like crap, just less of it. They are still not eating healthy or giving their body proper nutrition. I only buy healthy food (I don't even go down the middle aisles in the grocery store anymore because that's where all the crappy stuff is, and I don't want the temptation). Once a week I allow myself a treat so I never feel like I am going without.

No matter what you do - lap-band, balloon, weight watchers, RNY - true lasting weight loss will come when you are mentally ready to do the work.

K - my hubby said everything yours did (it wasn't about the ballon per say just the idea that if I just put the candy bars back...I would not need a surgery)

So...I took my DH to a seminar and he was convinced.

Now 8 months out my DH can not believe how things have changed for me (us).

I relate to how your relationship is. Mine sounds similar.

So like you said, your mind is made up. This is your body and you will do this for you and your kids and for a long healthy life. And when it is all done and said with, you are such a loving wife..you won't feel the need to look your loving husband in the eyes and tell him: I told you so.

Cheers girly-girl. It's your time.

Janet, that makes perfectly good sense to me. I read this to dh and he disagrees. He thinks that you may gain some back but not all. He is very opionated even (especially) when he is wrong.

haha oh dear they all are lol!! from my experience you will gain all of it back..+ loads more to spare!!! I was at 160lbs I lost all the way down to 130lbs...and then I started to regain...and boy did I...went all the way up to 235 (where I am now pre-surgery *having surgery on the 6th of april*)!! so that means all together I gained 105lbs, which is 75lbs more than I weighed before the diet! I'm sure that you can tell that it's no coincedence that we all have just about the same story to tell ( I lost some then I gained all of it back + a lot more)! Good luck with everything, and don't let anyone talk you into or out of something that you feel is right for you! :tt2:

You are not looking to get a quick fix to being overweight. With the lapband you steadily lose 1-2 lbs a week and in the long run you keep it off. With the balloon you are looking to only have it for 6 months so you lose 30 lbs big deal you will probably gain it back after it's removed.

When you have the lapband put on nothing is cut (well except your stomach but in 4-5 little areas) and nothing is rerouted.

The dh sounds stupid

Remember, the band is just a tool. You can over eat. You can eat more then a cup if you want. You can eat junk food very easily, easier then healthy. I think they are called slider foods.

I manipulated my band for two years, and gained almost all my loss back.

You must be in the right frame of mind. You have to want to not eat bad good any longer....

God luck!!!!

The balloon is not being done in the US. I have a Canadian friend who traveled to Toronto 4 or 5 months ago to have it done. She lost 25 pounds very quickly but that was about it. She wasn't horribly large to begin with and looks good but could still stand to lose another 30 or 40 pounds. I really don't think the balloon is a good choice for someone who has 100+ pounds to lose. As we all know, losing weight is a lot easier than keeping it off! I'm sure your dh loves you and only wants whats best for you but YOU are the one who has to make the journey. You need to do what will work for you!

I did Atkins for 6 months in 2006 lost 50 lbs .Although I did keep some habits like watching my sugar intake and eating more Protein, by 2012 I had gained the 50 back plus 30 lbs. I think if u want another temporary " diet" to lose weight quickly then the balloon may work. But losing weight is not the problem. I have always lost weight over 3-6 months but gain it back cuz there was no maintenance or accountability.I'm hoping that the band helps with the accountability and maintenance .for me this " tool" is really put to the test AFTER the weight comes off.Good luck in whatever you decide!:-)