Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things to get before surgery

Okay, I just passed the stress test yippee! As I was walking on the treadmill I began to realize how out of shape I really am! But May 25th is the beginning of a new life! Today I bought a pair of walking sneakers, some puddings, oatmeal, applesauce etc. and I began thinking that I should make a list of all the things I need to prepare for before surgery. I do all the food shopping so I want to get things in prior to the band-

Any suggestions? I have 3 pairs of yoga pants for after the surgery - is that enough? When can you begin to wear jeans?

I know I need the gas strips- which ones? I am going to copy and paste all suggestions for my to-do list. I even am planning on coloring my hair right before I go in since I won't be able to shower for a while (10 days I think). All advice would be greatly appreciated from whatto bring to the hospital to whatto do the week before.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all your support!!

Gas x strips are good. I took them, though never really felt like I had gas pains. Are you sure you can't shower for 10 days my discharges said no bathing, but showers were fine after 24 hours. Didn't matter to me since I only shower anyways lol. As for wearing jeans my incisions are up higher than my waist line so if I remember correctly when I went out for the first time on day 3 I wore jeans

First let's address the notion that you cannot shower for ten days, I was able to shower in the hospital prior to discharge after my surgery. I did get my hair cut and highlighted the week of my surgery. A girl has to look good. Also did the pedicure and manicure.

I have an emulsion blender that I used for Soups and Protein drinks. 100% fruit juice that you dilute 1:1 are great to have also. sugar free popsicles, pudding and Jello are must haves. (you will also need to have the same type of items on hand after a fill). I also pureed a nice roast chicken with some chicken broth for the mushy stage, you want to have something onhand that tastes good so you are not tempted to grab whatever when you decide to take the plunge from liquids to mushy.

Make sure that the shoes that you have to wear home are comfortable, you will gain weight in the OR from fluids that they give you and it pools in your feet. Slippers and a robe if you have one are also good things to have with you. I took a puzzle book to pass some of the time when you are waiting to be discharged or you cannot sleep in the middle of the night.

Best of luck!!

You'll want some liquid Emetrol for nausea. It's cherry flavored. CVS has a generic. Liquid tylenol for pain is good to have in the house too. Your doctor will write you a script for liquid vicodin but its a bad idea to take it on an empty stomach and since you won't be eating... After a couple days of liquids you're going to have the worst tasting mouth you can imagine. Lemon flavor helps. Get some sugar free hard candy. I found that Minute Maid Light lemonade helps a lot. It comes in 12 packs with the Coke but its not carbonated and only 10 calories per can. Take your favorite pillow or two to the hospital. The ones at my hospital were like cardboard! You'll probably want comfortable (loose) pj's and robe, otherwise you'll be stuck wearing one of those horrible hospital gowns...2 if you don't want to moon anyone! LOL. Get some canned broth. The kind in the carton is best. That way you can just nuke as much as you want and reseal the container. Take something to the hospital to keep you occupied....book, lap top, magazines, knitting...whatever you like to do. That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck to you. You're about to do the best thing you could do for yourself!

I thought to port site is slighly above the belly button and my jeans would come right around that area -not below. I just assumed that I would have to wear loose pants until it healed??

Thanks for the suggestions-some stuff I never thought about!! Not too sure about pureed chicken though :o

If I get a pedicure wouldn't they take off the polish for surgery?

As far as your port site goes, you should ask your surgeon. Mine is right at my waist band so I did have to wear loose pants for a few weeks. Other things you should have on hand are a heating pad (helps with the gas pains) and a pillow to put between your stomach and the seatbelt on the ride home. I had to spend the night at the hospital (my surgeon requires it) so I also brought a book to keep me occupied.

During surgery they monitor your oxygen through your finger tips, so your pedicure wouldn\t be upset. As for the pureed foods-think of things that you like to eat-you do hae to do a stage of mushy foods, so have things you like.

I thought to port site is slighly above the belly button and my jeans would come right around that area -not below. I just assumed that I would have to wear loose pants until it healed??

Thanks for the suggestions-some stuff I never thought about!! Not too sure about pureed chicken though :o

If I get a pedicure wouldn't they take off the polish for surgery?

1. Protein Shakes, get premixed ones, the power is nasty. Also some Isopure (GNC).. it's fruit flavored to counteract all the chocolate flavor

2. Heating pad!

3. Make sure you picked up your liquid prescribed pain meds.. cause you are in serious pain for a few days.

4. chewable vitamins.< /p>

5. Water

6. Soup, you are on liquids for the first week or two. I liked butternut squash and Tomato.< /p>

The things that I had ahead of time were: chewable vitamins, Protein Powder or drinks ( I love the Any whey Protein powder you mix with things, no taste), plenty of liquids to drink, gas x strips, pillows for ride home, my port is right under my left breast (couldn't wear bra home, it is fine now), all ingredients for you Protein Drinks (many recipes in the Barix Book they give you), they make a cup with a wire whisk ball inside, I use that all the time, a blender and food processor (mine are together and only cost $39 at Walmart), Soup broth (I agree the ones in the cartons work best, fat free), sugar-free Gelatin and pudding, make ahead of time, I love old movies, so I had plenty available while I recuperated, also walk, walk, walk, even if it is just around the room, it helps with the gas and Fluid retention. I did not have much pain after I came home, so I just took the liquid vicidin when needed. I also had my kids get my a good scale for my birthday right before surgery. I am sure they are things I am forgetting, but I think I came close. Great luck with your surgery and you will be losing weight before you know it. God Bless!!!!

1) throat spray because when you wake up from surgery your throat will kill from the breathing tube

2) pudding, Jello, and Soups

3) pre-made Protein shakes and Protein powder

4) single serve smoothie blender (got all of my protein powder blended really well)

5) chewable tylenol tablets

Gas x strips really won't help.. that gas pains you will have after surgery is not intestinal..it's because the doctor inflates your belly with NO2. Walking helps that.

My nails and toes were painted when i had surgery, and they didn't make me take any of the polish off.. may just depend so ask when you had your pre-admission testing or the doctor's office

Fiber gummies helped me. I'm alergic to the red dye in foods/meds so stool softners were out of the question, and after a couple days of pure liquids and pain meds it helped.

I used an ice pack for my port scar, I requested one in the recovery room and thats one thing I don't think I could have done without in the hospital or at home. (Plan was to go home after surgery and xray but was admitted due to having my lung punctured in surgery (VERY RARE- a first for my doc) I also had my gall bladder removed too).

Pillows at home- I had several that were flat and that helped when propping up and moving. Also a travel pillow I held to my stomach for moving around the house.

Insulated large cup - less trips to get Water if no one is around to help, although walking is highly encouraged. I went against docs orders and used a straw, didn't have gas problems in my tummy, just shoulder area which came from the actual surgery.

Step stool if your bed is higher than comfortable sitting height.

I was allowed to shower as soon as I felt comfortable - I could have showered at the hospital but decided going home to shower was a better idea.

100% fruit juice, I diluted mine a lot, and lots of ice. Also drank lots of unsweetened tea.

I think thats it.... good luck!