Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read so many questions. here are a few things I think one might find helpful.

I am five months in. My surgeory was in the Beginning of DecemberI I was 250 lbs. I am now at 199lbs. After my surgeory Dr Thomas Umbach (Great Dr.) had me wait a month before my first fill.

smoothies have been the key to mu success. They are easy on the stomach and you can add Vitamin supplements and Protein to them. Adding the Protein is a huge advantage to staying healthy. If you tried to eat 60 grams per day you would never be able to. The smoothie I drink from Tropicalk smoothie Cafe is made with Splenda and has

grams of protein in it!

Make sure you take your Vitamins you won't notice at first, but if you don't take them you will feel fatigue.

First 2 week after surgeory you should be on liquids even though you can eat food....Let your insiders heal

After first fill you will still be able to eat and drink at the same time, eat quite a bit, and still eat quickly and barely have to chep

after second or third fill you start to realize your eating less

after fill 4-5 you are noticing and comparing what you eat to non lap band individuals.

All of a sudden when I had my 8th fill (03/23/11) I SUDDENLY COULDN'T EAT NEARLY AS MUCH!!! I couldn't drink and eat at the same time, and I had to take my time eating. It was a world of difference from fill 6 or even 7!!!!

I never had a problem getting 60gm of Protein per day with normal food, but then I had a surgeon who felt that the inability to eat regular food was a sign of an overfull band.

Not all doctors require such a restrictive postop diet. This type of diet is necessary for bypass and sleeve surgeries because your stomach and intestines have been compromised. We do have stitches on the inside, but my surgeon said these are healed just fine in 2 weeks. I was back on normal foods, as many here are, in 2 weeks.

Not everyone has physical restriction with the band and shouldn't be looking for that. They should be looking for a cessation of hunger after a reasonable meal. According to my surgeon, reasonable is 3-4 oz of Protein and 1/2-1 c. vegies.

Our journeys will often vary based on our surgeon's expectations, but one thing I did learn is that the band works very differently for each of us and the most important thing we learn is how to make it work for *us*. :)

The band isn't about restriction, it's about appetite control.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

My appetite was somewhat dimmed from the day of surgery, but then again, I had Fluid installed during surgery.. THANK YOU Dr. B... which got me off to a head start. :)

Even if you can eat or drink at the same time you shouldnt from day one. You are not supposed to drink 15 minutes before a meal or 30 after a meal after surgery.

Ehh.. smoothies are liquid calories though... I get plenty of Protein from food alone. But, I guess everyone figures out what works for them. But I wouldn't recommend that as advice.

Also fills are different for everybody... My first fill was 5.5ccs. I can't have 8 fills lol

My fill killed my hunger, so.. success. I'm not looking for restriction.

http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

My appetite was somewhat dimmed from the day of surgery, but then again, I had Fluid installed during surgery.. THANK YOU Dr. B... which got me off to a head start. :)

Wow that is the best thing I've ever read about the band! I wish doctors would explain it like that. That is how I am working with my band, and always what I believed went on.

You should make a post exclusively wit this article.

One of my doctors recommends the Protein smoothies too due the awesome nutritional content. They are not necessarily liquid calories as stated above, but yes, some are meant as a Meal Replacements not a supplement in which case some calories are ok.

Thanks for the tip, as summer approaches that will be a great idea for hot weather!

Well yea if it's instead of a meal, then it's fine. But I just can't imagine that would satisfy you very long IMO.

I am not sure of how many calories it has, but I take frozen strawberries, and a banana, add 1 pouch of the non flavored or banana protien, 1 packet of equal and Water in the blender and make a delicious smoothie.1 pouch of protien powder is 27grams of protien, but then I can't finish the entire jar of the smoothie. Do you think this is a good / nutritious smoothie or too many calories?

"The band isn't about restriction, it's about appetite control.

http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html"

Melissannde

Thank you for that link.. Wonderful information and a great perspective on how the band operates. I will return to the site frequently to remind myself how to do it as I progress on my journey.

DIVA79--Congrats on your weight loss so far! Thanks for sharing all of this info. I'm considering being banded so right now I am just reading as much as I can on here to learn all about it so it is great to read about someone's personal experience/advice in general.

yea, I could do a smoothie for Breakfast or something, but not sure about any other meal. Perhaps when it gets hotter, and it will be blistering hot and miserably humid here before long! :)

Well yea if it's instead of a meal, then it's fine. But I just can't imagine that would satisfy you very long IMO.

That sounds about how my doc says to make them except he says add coconut or almond milk. Other than that, the only difference might be the Protein powder and those vary greatly :)

I am not sure of how many calories it has, but I take frozen strawberries, and a banana, add 1 pouch of the non flavored or banana protien, 1 packet of equal and Water in the blender and make a delicious smoothie.1 pouch of protien powder is 27grams of protien, but then I can't finish the entire jar of the smoothie. Do you think this is a good / nutritious smoothie or too many calories?

You can take all the ingredients and plug them into www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate and see how many calories/protein/carbs/fat etc. there is in your smoothie.

I wouldn't count on a drink to keep me full for several hours. I've had Protein drinks satisfy me for 2 hours, but not 4 like dense Protein will. Of course, everyone is going to be slightly different. :)

http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Wow that is the best thing I've ever read about the band! I wish doctors would explain it like that. That is how I am working with my band, and always what I believed went on.

You should make a post exclusively wit this article.

Did that once a while back. It caused a lot of discussion, some agreeing, some disagreeing, some confused. Now I just post it in a thread when it seems appropriate.

If you're on Facebook, you can follow Dr. Simpson there.

http://www.facebook.com/drterrysimpson

My surgeon does not want me using Protein shakes. Or consuming any liquid calories for that matter. He feels that solid foods will sustain me longer and the calories are best spent that way. He also feels that if you are relying on shakes because you cannot eat a variety of solid foods especially Proteins, then your band is too tight.

Each bandster needs to find what works for the individual. For some, shakes are an integral part of their diet, for others they aren't. I keep them around for after a fill or after a bad stuck episode when I want to take it easy for a while.

Overall, my diet is pretty "normal," just smaller portions than I used to eat, and I don't graze all day long like I used to.