Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aetna- Has anyone been through the process?

I'm getting ready to submit all of the paperwork to my insurance company, Atena. Has anyone been through the process with them? I've been through the 3 month diet (that really turned out to be 6 because of a stupid mistake on my part). I'm such a worrier and would love to hear about some other experiences with Aetna! :blink:

I'm getting ready to submit all of the paperwork to my insurance company, Atena. Has anyone been through the process with them? I've been through the 3 month diet (that really turned out to be 6 because of a stupid mistake on my part). I'm such a worrier and would love to hear about some other experiences with Aetna! :blink:

I went thru AETNA and it was a breeze. After my 3 month's of Dr. visits and completing all of the other requirements (EKG, Psych eval) my claim was submitted and approved in less than 5 days and I had my surgery 2wks later

I have Aetna they are very quick, just make sure you have all the required paperwork.This will prevent any delay on your approval:) Good Luck!!!!!!

Thanks for responding! It makes me feel a bit less anxious. :) If you don't mind me asking, how long had you both been with Aetna before your surgeries?

I had Aetna and they approved me within a week of submitting all of the required paperwork. I have had this Aetna policy for 1.5 years. Good luck on your journey!

Ive been with AETNA since 2006-2007 but they had a clause that didnt cover the procedure. They just changed their policy in 2009 to cover weightloss surgeries and I jumped right on it and ended up having the procedure in March of 2010.

I have Aetna, and was denied my first go round with them. I was approved after my 2nd appeal. The reason I was denied is that they said I wasn't at a 40 bmi, for 2 years nor was my sleep study sufficient enough. I'm being banded on Cinco de mayo :)

I have a coworker who was just approved (also Aetna) it took about a week for her approval. She's being banded on the 10th of May.

Just make sure you have everything documented, and you have medical history going back at least two years.

Good Luck!!

I am also worried about Aetna approving me for the surgery. My current BMI is 43 but I don't know that it has been that for 2 years, but I also have high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, chronic fatique, lower back pain, and a few other things. I want to know if you had any other co-morbidities besides the study and the BMI? Will be finished with my 3 month diet in June and would hate for them not to approve me on a tecnicality.:blink:

I have Aetna, and was denied my first go round with them. I was approved after my 2nd appeal. The reason I was denied is that they said I wasn't at a 40 bmi, for 2 years nor was my sleep study sufficient enough. I'm being banded on Cinco de mayo :)

I have a coworker who was just approved (also Aetna) it took about a week for her approval. She's being banded on the 10th of May.

Just make sure you have everything documented, and you have medical history going back at least two years.

Good Luck!!

Hiya,

I did do the sleep study and was only mild apnea which they didn't consider enough of a comorbitity. The only other issues I have is severe asthma and a couple years ago I had spinal fusion surgery to remove my L5 disc. And I dipped below a bmi of 40 during the last 2 years.

Good luck ;) I'm getting ready to head in for my band this morning!!

I am also worried about Aetna approving me for the surgery. My current BMI is 43 but I don't know that it has been that for 2 years, but I also have high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, chronic fatique, lower back pain, and a few other things. I want to know if you had any other co-morbidities besides the study and the BMI? Will be finished with my 3 month diet in June and would hate for them not to approve me on a tecnicality.:blink:

Can you tell me a little about the diet that you did? I did 3 months with a nutritionist and my primary care physician and I might have to do another 3 months. Did you see anybody else during the 3 months?

Hiya,

I did do the sleep study and was only mild apnea which they didn't consider enough of a comorbitity. The only other issues I have is severe asthma and a couple years ago I had spinal fusion surgery to remove my L5 disc. And I dipped below a bmi of 40 during the last 2 years.

Good luck ;) I'm getting ready to head in for my band this morning!!

Good Luck!!! :rolleyes:

The only people I saw during my 3 month diet was my PCP and that was it. I met with the surgeon a couple of times but other than that my PCP just had me cut my calories down to 1500 and exercise 3-5 times a week for 30 min-1 hour.

I am also worried about Aetna approving me for the surgery. My current BMI is 43 but I don't know that it has been that for 2 years, but I also have high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, chronic fatique, lower back pain, and a few other things. I want to know if you had any other co-morbidities besides the study and the BMI? Will be finished with my 3 month diet in June and would hate for them not to approve me on a technicality.:blink:

Can you tell me a little about the diet that you did? I did 3 months with a nutritionist and my primary care physician and I might have to do another 3 months. Did you see anybody else during the 3 months?

I was just approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:lol::rolleyes:

I was just approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:lol::rolleyes:

CONGRATS!!!!