Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded April26th and the gas pains OMG!!!!

I am now officially a bandster.... Surgery went well found out that I had a small hernia, which he repaired.... But how long does the gas pains/abdominal discomfort last??? I have been walking and no relief, I never thought I'd imagine myself saying, how bad I wanna fart and burp. (not trying to be ignorant, just keeping it real). I dont have much of an appetite yet....Cant get pass the gas pains , Im useing gas-x like crazy...ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!

Walk, walk, walk those gas pains out! I had them for 5 days post-op. At one point they got so bad that I called the PA and she said this was very normal and they could last 7 days.Her suggestion was to walk them out and it sure did help. Also drinking seemed to help me burp.

It does get better!!!

I was banded on Friday and by far the gas pains were the worst thing I'd ever had experienced! I'd have 2 babies and 2 kidney stones before I'd go through that again. I paced for 16 hours with no relief! My surgeon said gas x only helps when the gas moves to the intestinal track, not when its in the chest and I tried it with no relief. Excuse my french....but when I could start farting is when I felt better. Once it moved down and it was coming out, I was so much better. I am 5 days post op and still have a lot of gas but it moves now. I just warned everyone and just said WTF, I just went through major surgery to get healthy and skinny...."I'm gonna fart". So good luck to you and what you are feeling is very normal! Hope you recover quickly :)

Kelly

I was banded on the 26th also, and the gas was terrible. However I went walking yesterday at the mall and I just started farting and haven't stopped since. It has to be the best feeling in the world at this point. Just walk and sip Water and try to lay on your stomach for a nap....that helped move the gas around for me too....

I was banded on Monday the 25th of April. Thank God the only pain I have is from gas. It hasn't been to bad and I am starting to feel alot better now. I walk as much as I possibly can. Can't actually find a comfortable position to lay in, but oh well what the hell

I was banded on the 26th as well and didn't start really feeling the gas pain until yesterday before that my back hurt so much I don't think I even noticed the gas pain!

I did recall ever time I took a breath that my chest felt heavy but when I would sip or suck on ice chips I would burp and it felt better so I'm betting that was gas as well. Today I started feeling more gas discomfort so I've been getting up and moving around as much as I can. taking gasx strips and sitting up vs. laying down (it seems to help move it around).

All-in-all the physical pain from the incisions is not as bad as having a c-section but its no walk in the part either. However, the additional pain from the gas and hernia repair really suck (pardon my french).

The good news is that it does seem to get better each day. I'm 2 days post-op and its definetly better than it was yesterday.

Faith

I was banded on 4/18...and didn't have gas pains like everyone is describing...abdominal area...mine has settled in my neck and head and it is still horrible. I can hardly turn my head and if I don't keep ahead of the pain by taking Excedrin every 4 hours, I end up in tears. It is at the base of my skull and radiates down my neck across the top of my shoulder. Swallowing hurts! It has been 10 days and I'm still dealing with this...I wish I could pass gas out of my head! From what I hear this too shall pass, just keep walking. Good luck.....

Hey guys. I'm almost 5 months in, but my gas pains were horrible too. slm2007, mine were like what you just described. All in the neck and specifically the left side of me. HORRIBLE and they lasted close to 2 weeks. Walking/gas X didn't help much. My body was holding on to the surgery gas for dear life. It does go away. I think I woke up one morning and it was like VOILA all gone. It'll get better. wink.gif

This was my fourth surgery and the least invasive but it hurt the worst, lol.

I did not feel better from my band day until the 9th day. I haven't had anymore gas pains since that day and every day I feel better. Drink hot tea or broth and take gas-x strips. That I think works wonders. I also had the hubby pat me on the back (like burping a baby) oh yeah and sit against on lay on a heating pad. That helps too. I hope you feel better soon.

The gas pain is the worst part but it will move out soon. Keep walking and sip liquids.< /p>