Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now done, do I reduce the fill?

I was banded in November 2008. I got down to within 15lbs of goal, which was a stretch goal to begin with. I am ok with where I am now, which is still at my most restricted level. Once we reach this point, does the band stay this restricted foreever? I still have a lot of trouble with certain foods, which come back up on me, such as foods that are sour, too spicy, fresh fruit, lettuce along with anything warm. I just wonder if at this point I should ask for the restriction to be reduced, and try to maintain weight, or are we expected to stay at this fill level?

Good question and it doesn't appear you have gotten any answers or suggestions. I'm at my goal and still pretty restricted and still losing. I think I'm ready for some of it to be removed......not so much to eat more quantity, but more variety. I too still get stuck......sometimes I can eat a mixed salad with chick salad and sometimes I can't get Soup down......I think I've totally agravated my pouch and maybe just need to give it a rest......back to liquids for a few days........just don't know. What I do kmow right now is I'm not gett in enough calories and feeling kind of weak. My hubby is ready for me to get some removed........maybe I am too......Guess I'll try my talking to my doc's office or my coordinator about life after goal.

From what you have described, I think it would be OK to stay the same or get a tiny 0.2 adjustment and see what the scales do. I have been struggling with maintenance for a few months and it is just as much work as losing the weight. I actually had to increase my exercise to go along with less fill in my band. The good part of more exercise is you can have planned for calories from "forbidden" items. Maintenance is hard work and I wish you the best.

Mimi

This weekend was my time to decide to unfill or leave it alone.........I've decided to unfill some! Really tired of not being able to each much. Not sure what was going on this week, but 4 spoonfuls of Soup - done; 2 small bites of chicken - done; forget leafy green veggies - or any kind of veggies. I was able to eat better before my previous fill last August......I'm going to talk to the coordinator or the doc's office and get advice....

I've been trying to reach the perfect fill level for maintenance too, and have had a few fills and unfills. I've been going up and down in my fill level for the last few months, getting too tight and too loose for comfort. I'm about to go in for another tiny (0.1) fill on Wednesday to see if I can get it right. I'm SO close...!

I've actually got down to 160 lbs - 20 below my goal weight. But, no energy, sick, generally, not very healthy. I had 2 cc removed in early June & gained 25 lbs!!!! I needed to gain 10, but not 25. I went & had 1.5 cc put back - still no weight loss. But, I have been grazing - so I've started back to Protein Drinks & Greek yogurt for Breakfast, salad with grilled chicken for lunch - whatever for dinner & no grazing!!! I really don't want to get another fill - I'm going on my first cruise, to Alaska, in September - I think I'll wait until after that before getting a fill. Oh & I'd convinced myself that frozen yogurt was ok - like I said - bad habits.

I go to the doc tomorrow to discuss this issue. I need a small unfill because I've had too much restriction for several weeks now and even Water can be hard to get down until evening. With the weather this hot, I can get dehydrated pretty quick if I'm not vigilant about tiny frequent sips... and I am rarely vigilant. ;)

While I'd be happy to lose another five pounds I realize I can't keep losing forever and at this restriction maintenance is going to be challenging, if not impossible. I'm just so afraid of getting too much taken out and waking up one morning weighing 240 pounds again. Talk about a nightmare. One of my greatest fears is losing my lapband. It has changed my life and I don't want to ever go back to the old size and shape and accompanying problems.

Shoshanna - I'm with you - I'm 187 - AGAIN! But, I was so restricted while losing, that it's taking lots of effort and energy to not GRAZE and go back to 3 meals a day. I was so afraid at the beginning that this wouldn't work for me - it did, but I guess just like when I learned to live on LESS food, I need to learn on living on MORE food, without gaining! Yikes! Always something!!!

Yes, indeed, always something. I got .75 cc removed today and felt immediate relief of discomfort and pressure- and immediate fear of suddenly feeling hungry for the first time in quite a while. I was somewhat comforted to discover it didn't take much to feel full again, but I know I have to be vigilant about eating just because it tastes good or because it soothes my soul. Thanks for sharing your experience!