Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know bread is going to be tough, but Is Pizza out of the question?

Just wondering from all of you that have had your bands for awhile, do you ever eat pizza anymore? I have seen that many people do not tolerate bread well at all, but is it the same for pizza? I know that it is not the best choice of food, but i loved pizza and I am just wondering if I will ever be able to eat it again? Not that it's going to happen for me for a long long time. Just wondering!?

I too love pizza...well not so much anymore. I had pizza last Wednesday for dinner. Cut it into smal pieces and ate slowly. I got the worse acid reflux on Wed night/thursday morning. I also had a cup of coffee on Thursday morning---another thing I shouldn't have done. I suffered all weekend. I probably won't try either for a long time. I would say chew slowly and take small bites. it may not be a problem for you. This whole band thng is trial and error and a learning curve.

Funny Stuff.

Some People here acknowledge that pizza is NOT a good choice for someone trying to lose weight. But look at all the people who went ahead and did it anyway.

Jeez.

And people wonder why the actual success rate of the lap band is so low.

S.

I eat pizza about once a month-- thin crust. At 180-210 calories a slice (for my preferred kinds), it fits quite well in a balanced low-calorie diet (though it doesn't fit in a low-carb diet very well unfortunately).

I don't have very much fill, so it doesn't give me any problems. You may or may not be able to tolerate it.

I can eat small bites of thin crust. It is one of those foods that I have to be careful with.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a slice of pizza, Spartan! I don't see anyone talking about stuffing their faces with it every weekend! :rolleyes: Just sayin'!

As long as I eat it slow and chew well I can tolerate it. Although instead of eating 4-5 slices I now barely finish one slice.

I've had issues with pizza, so most times I'll just avoid it. Last week, I did have a 1/2 a slice and ate it really slow and still had a slight issue with getting stuck sad.gif

I have thin crust pizza once every week or two. I have beentrying to maintain for about a year (though still lost more without trying), but had pizza on occasion throughout my weight loss with no plateaus or problems. Allowing myself to eat "normal" foods in moderation helps me from feeling deprived and having unhealthy binges. I am eating enough to survive and be healthy, but I am NOT on a diet.

Funny Stuff.

Some People here acknowledge that pizza is NOT a good choice for someone trying to lose weight. But look at all the people who went ahead and did it anyway.

Jeez.

And people wonder why the actual success rate of the lap band is so low.

S.

A calorie is a calorie..is a calorie ;) Your body doesn't know a calorie from an apple any different from a calorie from pizza. If it fits within your daily caloric needs, there is nothing wrong with pizza. Don't be so foolish.The only thing important at the end of the day is a caloric deficit and ensuring your dietary fat/carbs/protein needs are met along with exercise.

I only eat the toppings when I have pizza. bread gets stuck for me so I just dont do it anymore. When my family eats pizza I either make my own by layering pepperoni, sauce, and cheese and cooking it in the oven or just pick the toppings off of the pizza they have.

Guess i'm lucky then! I have no problems with my Lean Cuisine pizza, it's 340 calories, and has 20g of Protein. I eat a full one, but sometimes i get really full from it, probably the bread, but it doesn't make me sick or PB. If I'm out and that's my only option i stick with thin crust to reduce the calories.

I guess it depends on how temperamental your band is. But I have zero problems with any type of bread.

What everyone else said :lol: No seriously, most I know who've had the LapBand done can only tolerate thin crust pizza after surgery.... I am the same. pizza was one of my "trigger" foods and I went around and around in my head pre and post op about whether or not to even start eating it again when I could. Well, I find now 5 months out I don't really crave it much and when I do partake its only a slice or two (my pizza only has cheese and veggies on it). Better than the whole freakin pizza before surgery!

When you are further out of surgery, you will want to "experiement" a lil as to what you will want to eat, and what your pouch can tolerate.... particularly when it comes to breads and starches. LIke others have suggested go slow and take small bites and include it in your daily calorie count.

Good luck in your journey and new eating discoveries! ;)

every once in a great while I have an odd day with like no restriction and can eat bread and a small slice of pizza but no I really don't eat it. Maybe I've had 3 slices in like 1 yr and 10 monts.

I've had one slice of pizza every other week pretty much since I was banded in July 2009. My husband loves his Friday night pizza and he buys one every other week.

I generally eat the rolled edge, a bit of the under crust, and all of the toppings. I'm full and my cravings are satisfied.

I don't eat much bread otherwise. Perhaps a slice of toast with my Breakfast on the weekends; some crackers; or part of some crusty bread at dinner out.

I don't know that I so much have problems with it, but I try to follow my doctors suggestions of eating Protein first (and bread doesn't fit into that plan well).

Wouldn't want to live without my pizza!! Someone else mentioned what I was thinking. Depends on your band restriction level. So much of what you "can" or "can't" eat really is a person by person thing, though. Just in this thread alone you can see the vast array of responses for this one food. It's going to be like that for all kinds of foods. Each person's food experiences with the band can be very different. You may have to just do some careful experimenting with different foods to find out how different foods are going to work with you and your band.